Book reccomendation: "Heroics for Beginners" by John Moore

A friend reccomended this to me, and I, thirsting for new books, checked it out. It’s great.

The premise:

Imagine your typical Hero-saves-the-damsel-and-vanquishes-the-bad-guy story.

Now imagine that both the hero and the villain have read the Evil Overlord list.

That’s what this is. Welcome to the Fortress of Doom. Be sure to check out the gift shop.

what is the evil overlord list?

<a href=“http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html”>Google is just ten characters away</a>

Just tell me the good guys WIN at the end (and NOT a phyrric victory) and I’m game.

Is sick of fatalistic “realistic” superhero stories of late, ex: Identity Crisis, Countdown :noway:

Don’t worry, they do. But it’s still a great ride.

Your local bookstore should have a copy. If not, check Amazon, they generally have good prices for books.

That list owns. I’ll keep an eye open for the book, GG. Thanks.

<i>The Watchmen</i>, <i>Farenheit 451</i>, “My Papa’s Waltz”, “The Last Full Measure”…

Isn’t “My Papa’s Waltz” a poem about a drunk man dancing with his son? :stuck_out_tongue:

Or child abuse, if you read through the misapplied phrases.

And just about every dystopian novel…

That’s what I said to my professor, but I could also see it as a more a bittersweet reccolection of a moment that was at the same time scary as it was nostalgic (it’s definately an adult looking back). It was the only contact this child had with his father, as far as I could tell. He got home from the bar after work, and he was drunk as Hell, and he went dancing across the kitchen with him, accidentally knocking down pots and pans and getting his wife really pissed at him. It does say that he hits him, but in the context of the poem it seems that it was more accidental than anything.

Dystopian novels are SUPPOSED to be dark, and are clearly identified as such. Of late, there has been a trend of making super hero comics darker, more than even in the “Watchmen” days. I don’t read only stories with happy endings, but I’m annoyed than when I look for them in the places they’re supposed to be, they aren’t there. > <

“Heroics for Beginners” sounds like a fun read, I’ll try to find it the next time I visit Border’s.

PS: I don’t suppose anybody here has ever read the book “El Principe que todo lo aprendio en Libros” (The Prince who learned everything from books). It has a similar theme and was one of the few Spanish novels I read in school that I actually LIKED. ^^