Atelier Iris 3: My Review

Having just finished playing this game, I felt like sharing my impressions here. I will try to avoid spoilers, and any that are included will be tagged. I 'll start with just the facts (ma’am) on each game element, followed by my comments:

THE STORY: The game takes place in a world called Abevard, in a city called Zey Meruze, which resembles Venice as it is full of water canals; it even has a gondola service! The city also includes portals to other dimensions, known as the “alterworlds.” For some mysterious reason, humans cannot stay for long in the alterworlds; they eventually fade back to the city. On the other hand, the races native to those worlds can come and go as they please; their budding relations with humans (and each other) are a subtext of the story.

The main character of the game is Iris, a female alchemist who may or not be the same Iris from the previous games (apparently she’s not, though with some juggling of facts it could be arranged that way). In this game she’s a teenager still learning alchemy, as well as a “raider”- an agent of the Raiders Guild, an organization that arranges “quests” for the people of the city (and the Alterworlds) in exchange for rewards; these run from killing dangerous monsters to mundane things like helping find missing pets. Curiously, this is the first Atelier Iris game where Iris is a playable character; there are only two more- Edge, Iris’s supposedly-grim young male warrior friend, and Nell, a female warrior who is the very embodiment of the “dumb blonde” concept, who joins up with them later. The rest of the NPCs are the common folks who hire you, and the villains who oppose you.

For the most part, the game is about Iris’s team rising up the ranks of the Guild (by doing quests); however, the TRUE story is about the Escalario, a sealed magic book that Iris inherited. By finding eight gem fragments that have been scattered across the Alterworlds, the book can be opened, and a wish will be granted to the user. Naturally, Iris sets out to do just that, but so do other people. And, this being an epic fantasy, the very fate of the (worlds) will be at stake by the end…

My Opinion: I found the setting quite interesting; the constant presence of water around Meruze was an attractive visual effect, and the gondolas made it easy to get around.

What bothers me about the story is that a LOT of things were not made clear: Who or what created the portals? How old are they? WHY are humans unable to stay in the alterworlds? Is Iris the same character as in the other games? Who was Crowley, really, and why was he so obsessed with destroying the world? How were the events that led to the creation of the Escalario forgotten if half the world was destroyed in the process (and only “a few centuries ago?”) How did the legend about it get so twisted out of shape? Why did the book’s spell start to fade? Was reassembling the Escalario the right thing to do or not?

Ehh, most of the answers to these questions are not necessary to enjoy the game; the characters themselves were likeable and their dialog was very good (in fact, I wish we could have learned more about all of them.) Still, rarely have I played an RPG that left me wondering about so many things in the end. Note that I missed a few quests before finishing, so maybe some of these facts are explained in those.

GAMEPLAY:
-Exploration: This game features a lot of platform-style action, from jumping to breaking things. Frustratingly, not EVERYTHING that looked like it could be broken (or jumped over, for that matter) actually could be, though that may be a graphics error (see below.) Note that the type of items found (or dropped by monsters) changes as your party rises in level, so constantly smashing things in your way (even if you’ve done it several times before) is the way to go.
-Combat: Mostly the old-fashioned turn-based style, except there are three(!) on-screen gauges to keep track off: one indicates whose turn is next (necessary since some attacks could slow down your characters or the enemies); another indicates when the characters could use their special skills, and the last indicates when “burst mode” (in which the Skill Gauge fills up instantly, and ALL the enemies are stunned) happens. They are not really that hard to keep track of, though the conditions to fill each one up are different.
-Advancement: In addition to the old-fashioned level-gaining, the game has a “Job” system not unlike some Final Fantasy games; each time Iris makes a pact with a Mana, Edge or Nell would gain a new “Blade” (character class, so named because each uses different weapons.) Each Blade has its own unique skills, which are learned with “blade points” earned in battle. Blades can be changed at will, thought this requires a trip back to Iris’ workshop.

Iris does not learn Blades (don’t ask me why) instead, she has her own skills, including the ability to use FF-like summons (the Manas, of course, which are gained by defeating certain bosses.) She also has the ability to make magical items at her workshop, though she needs to find the recipes and the ingredients first. Some of the recipes are bought or earned as rewards; others can be figured out by the player, either by varying the ingredients, or by finding “clues” scattered around the place. Note that Iris’ level of alchemy skill rises separately from her “combat level”, each time she invents a new item.
-Quests: The quests are simple enough: you check the bulletin board at the Guild, and choose from those that are available at the moment (they are random) though you are limited by your Raider Rank on which ones you can do. Then you talk with the character that put that request up, do what he asks of you, and then go back to inform him or her of the results, and you get the reward. Your rank raises from points earned from doing (some of) the quests. Needless to say, many of these are actually triggers for in-game events, that allow you to get to know more about the characters. Note that each time your party raises in rank, you’re given a mission related to the Escalario storyline, and you are prevented from doing any other quests until you finish that mission.

MY Opinion: I enjoyed the platform elements of the game, except that sometimes I didn’t know when it was possibly to jump or climb and when not (also, because of the game’s 2D graphics, the fact the direction you jump from does matter is not obvious.) The game only has about 3 action effects (besides jumping) and they are earned too slowly (in my opinion anyway.)

Despite having three gauges to follow, I found combat to be easy enough, especially due to the Burst Mode (which is not explained in-story, btw.) You can win most fights simply by hitting the enemy multiple times until a Burst is achieved, and THEN let them have it with your most powerful skills. This might make the game TOO easy for some people.

I liked the Blade System, because it gave the game variety despite having only three playable characters. Some of the blades were VERY inventive- in addition to the usual Ninja or Cleric types, you could also be a Puppeteer, for example. And some of their abilities (like the Ninja’s ability to avoid an attack by replacing himself with a disguised log, ala NARUTO, or the Time Mage’s ability to cancel a foe’s multiple-round attacks) are rare among games of this kind.

The quests varied from boring to a riot, depending on who and what you were asked to do. In particular, the war between the Fairies and the Bear Clan -which takes several quests to deal with- was both amusing (sort of a child’s version of what a war is) and is resolved in an unexpected way (thanks to an unlikely Singing Idol) that left me smiling afterwards.

In general, despite the annoying time limit on exploration (and the fact that there is only one Saving Point during most of the game) I found the gameplay addictive; of course, I’m the stubborn kind, who would not accept a “running out of time before finishing a dungeon” kind of deal, and kept going back until I had each area mapped out (which as it turns out is part of one of the later quests anyway.) Note that running out of time (or dying in combat, except during the main storyline quests) does NOT result in a Game Over; you’re sent back home with all your points and items earned instead.

VISUAL AND SOUND EFFECTS: This game does not feature animated sequences at all; instead, it uses nonmoving character images, plus text (and voice acting on some scenes) whenever a close-up of the action is required. This actually works very well; each character is shown almost completely (not just a ‘Head Shot’) with some very expressive art, and the voice acting is very good, definitely adding character to the text. The rest of the time, typical sprites are used, but they’re animated very well, and the backgrounds were in general very pretty to look at. In fact, one of the Alterworlds, (The Sky Gardens of Ishtar) has one of the most imaginative designs I’ve ever seen (it’s composed of GIANT WEAPONS, such as swords and hammers, that FLOAT IN THE SKY!) The only flaw in the art is that, as mentioned above, there IS a “3d effect” in place, so you CAN walk or jump behind some object such as trees, but because everything looks flat, you can’t tell by just looking. That led to my missing hidden entrances several times, and that really pissed me off.

The music, as usual for the Atelier games, is very good- however, strangely, I found that I couldn’t stand listening to any of the BGM for long- probably because I was too focused on either finding my way around an alterworld before time ran out, or trying to make an item via alchemy, and the music distracted me. Thought that is probably just a quirk of mine.

IN SUMMARY: Atelier Iris 3 is a fun game, to play, to listen and to look at, and I found it addictive in a way I haven’t in a long time. But it does have annoying factors, in particular the time limit on exploration, and the way it leaves some facts unexplained by the end. Still, I recommend it- it’s not the greatest game ever, but (I dare say) it’s the best of the Iris games yet.

You didn’t miss anything. The whole setting in the game is a massive case of “dunno lol”. And no, that wasn’t Iris Blanchimont.

My final opinion on the game differs drastically. While the gameplay IS probably the best of the series thus far and seems to get even better in the following, I thought everything else was boring and flat even for a gimmick game. I just couldn’t give a crap about Iris and Edge, least of all the bunny girl whose name I even forgot.

I’ll give something to Gust, they do make awesome systems and settings, they just have no idea what the hell to do with them. I’m currently going through AT2 and wanting strangle half the characters, completely forgetting about the other half and, get this, realizing that Lyner was seriously a lot more fun to follow than the new guy.

As I said, with a little fridge logic you CAN connect all three Irises as being the same. To wit:

-The Iris in Iris 2 IS Iris Fortner, descendant of the alchemist who created the Escalario; her true parents had died and she got adopted by Viese Blanchimont when she was like 7. (The fact that she also was the incarnation of Lilith, the creation mana, is irrelevant, especially since at the end of the game, Lilith’s essence is scattered around the world.)

-The Iris is AI3 is the grown up Iris from 2, who moved to another city to start her career as alchemist. (Why she would do that I have no idea, but it’s still possible.) At some point, she learned her true heritage, changed her last name and picked up the Escalario.

-Finally, the Iris on Atelier Iris 1 is seen only as a hologram centuries after her death, so it might be the Iris from AI3 after she mastered alchemy. (I can’t remember if she had a different last name there.)

It’s all very iffy, especially given the appearance of recurring characters like Hagel the bald blacksmith, but, IF GUST wanted, they could tie all the games together. However, I do suspect that in the next game, Iris may truly be someone completely unrelated.

As for the story, as I said I DID enjoy the characters a whole lot, but I’m more of a writer than a player anyway, so I tend to favor characterization over play. I DO agree that the game leaves you feeling more could have been done with what they came up with (both the story and the gameplay) though.

It just doesn’t fit.

Blanchimont is hinted at having literally just manifested/naturally made like most other mana, which can easily take human shape and functions. She was also a genius who could synth stuff on her own from nothing innately, Fortner was a talented klutz with no special powers. Why would she even change last names anyway, only to change it BACK to Blanchimont? And yes, Iris had the same last name in AI1 as in 2, which she got from Felt and Viese and passed on to Lita.

Besides, the world setting just makes no sense. People know jack shit about alchemy when Fortner is a teenager, but Avenberry’s civilization is supposed to exist already when Iris is an adult. It makes sense and there’s enough time for development after the mess in AI2, but if there’s been no change so far and Iris lives in a backwater mercenary village… And why would she even create Lita then? Edge is there, I assume they can make a daughter through more conventional means.

Hagel and Pamela are staple characters that have appeared in almost every Atelier game ever, they are simply a running gag.

That’s what you’d expect, except I clearly remember Iris hinted that her parents had died. Could have been a lie, of course, but it can be interpreted as Lilith having simply merged with an already-existing child.

She was also a genius who could synth stuff on her own from nothing innately, Fortner was a talented klutz with no special powers.
That was a clue that she was really Lilith; and as I mentioned, at the end of the story, Lilith’s essence is scattered; if we assume this means she left Iris’ body, then she should have lost her special talents as well.

Why would she even change last names anyway, only to change it BACK to Blanchimont? And yes, Iris had the same last name in AI1 as in 2, which she got from Felt and Viese and passed on to Lita.
Iris would use her actual name after finding out more about her true family; however, OTHER people might still call her by her adoptive name, especially centuries later (records don’t seem to be too good in this universe, note how the Escalario legend was messed up.)

Besides, the world setting just makes no sense. People know jack shit about alchemy when Fortner is a teenager, but Avenberry’s civilization is supposed to exist already when Iris is an adult. It makes sense and there’s enough time for development after the mess in AI2, but if there’s been no change so far and Iris lives in a backwater mercenary village… And why would she even create Lita then? Edge is there, I assume they can make a daughter through more conventional means.

You’re assuming that just because the people of Zey Meruze know little of Alchemy, that Avenberry wasn’t being developed at the same time. I think it was, by the Alchemists of Eden (likely including Viese and Felt) while the rest of the world wondered about it. (What Iris was doing elsewhere in the meantime is something I haven’t figured out yet, but you can always come up with a reason for leaving home in fantasy epics.)

As for Lita, creating TRUE life (not just homonculi) would definitely be the ultimate achievement of alchemy, pursuing it would be worth doing by itself (and that was the point of the first game) even if Iris could sire children (and many women just cannot, you know.)

Hagel and Pamela are staple characters that have appeared in almost every Atelier game ever, they are simply a running gag.

Pamela may actually be the same character as in AI one; although her origin here seems to contradict her earlier one, she herself has no true memories of anything, so it’s possible what she read in her diary was just wrong (it wasn’t even written by her, remember.) Hagel is harder to explain, but he could BE the same Hagel from 2, having moved to Meruze along Iris, and an ancestor of the one from 1.

I honestly was hoping that Iris 3 would be about Iris as an adult, so we could meet earlier versions of the Avenberry characters mentioned in AI one; Though I admit that as this keeps going on, it’s going to get harder and harder to interconnect, so they might just as well go the Breath of Fire route and just reinvent Iris and company every game.

Wil, you’re making ENORMOUS stretches and guesses that make no sense and contradict characterization to fit crap that just doesn’t go, even when Gust itself SAID THE BLOODY GAME IS UNRELATED. Where the hell did Iris learn abouther her OTHER lost heritage enough to change her name but not actually know anything about it? Why does every record of Iris Blanchimont show her as a lonely woman wishing to live in peace with her daughter? Why the fuck would Iris move to a village in the boonies to practice Alchemy if it was being widespread enough to build Avenberry somewhere else? Why would she be such a dumbass when she could understand the basic concepts of alchemy and create new formulas stronger than anything in existance by living with Viese and looking over her shoulder for a few weeks? And don’t you think there would be a MENTION of her being a divine-essence-birthed creature who was once involved in a war between talking magical swords for the destiny of the planet? This makes about as much sense as people trying to come up with a Zelda timeline.

And no, Hagel and Pamela really aren’t the same. They’ve been in almost every other Atelier game ever, they are in Mana Khemia too. Pamela showing up not knowing why she died (And it always being something different) and Hagel running the weapons shop while singing horribly have been repeated in every damn game since Atelier Marie.

First of all, Seraph, take a deep breath, we’re talking about video games here, not the Meaning of Life. Second, if you go back and read carefully what I posted you’ll see that I already answered many of your points. Third, I didn’t know that GUST had said the games are unconnected (though only the third one really looks out of place) and finally, excuse me for looking for continuity on a series of video games that star the same/similar characters. All I’m saying is that, IF Gust wanted to link the games together, it IS possible. And fanfic writers (such as me) can certainly do it easily as well. If you have a problem with Zelda fans, well too bad, but don’t take it out on me.
:hahaha;