Anselm's Ontological Argument

Is a load of shit. I mean, I believe in god and everything, but, fuck. It just relies on too many assumptions, and it pisses me off.

Well, it felt good to get that out.

Hmm, is this the right argument?

“God is a perfect being. It is more perfect to exist than to not. Therefore, God exists.”

If it is, then it’s an invalid argument. Existance isn’t a property of an object, it’s a qualifier as to whether there actually is something with that set of propties or not. The argument is little more than a play on words.

Okay, I didn’t know what it was until I looked it up… but I’d have to say I agree with Hades. This is complete and utter bullshit. Here here!

1. God is the entity than which no greater entity can be conceived.
  2. The concept of God exists in human understanding.
  3. God does not exist in reality (assumed in order to refute).
  4. The concept of God existing in reality exists in human understanding.

Way to contradict yourself. In any case, “Perfection” is an abstract term, what is a perfect God to some will not be for the rest, thus making it impossible to truly imagine a perfect entity if such a thing even exists in the first place.

What a load of BS.

this guy wants attention.

Anselm sucks the big one.
i hate people who dissect and over-theorize everything.
God doesn’t care how you believe in him, he just wants you to believe in him.

well, kinda, He doesnt want u to believe he is a bad God or just another person in the crowd or anything like that. He just wants u to believe he is the one and only God.

exactly. thank you.

it’s not like you’re going to go to heaven, and stand around with all the other newly-dead while God says, “well everyone, the correct religion was actually…THE MORMONS!!! Congratulations Mormons, come on up!! Everyone else, go to hell!!!” I don’t feel there is one true religion.

People who justify hatred or violence in the name of their God are hypocrites and cowards.
And I’m not talking about the Muslims only. Christians did some awful things to them in the Crusades. What goes around comes around people.

I just got off the phone with G-d, and he says to stop talking about him behind his back, then I told him he was omnipresent to which he replied by sending a crate full of frogs to my house, and changing all my y2k bottled water into blood.

Ha ha! Up to his old antics again!

Allow me to prove that he doesn’t.

The argument goes something like this: ‘I refuse to prove that I exist,’ says God ‘for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing.’ ‘But,’ says man ‘the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn’t it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don’t. QED.’

Note that both this and the Anselm’s Ontological Argument require God to prove that God, respectfully, doesn’t exist or exist. They’re circular.

That’d be a lovely argument if it wasn’t from a fictional book which in the end showed that God DOES exist.
The lazy bastard.

Fictional? *Gasp!

And the real funny thing is, I find it impossible to tell how sarcasic Nul is there. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not sarcastic at all. Not at all!

i really don’t think you should rely on a Disney game to hold solid theological assumptions

What? KH is my bible. Jihad! Jihad! suicide bombs Pierson

Wasn’t that from an episode of South Park? Although in South Park, Satan said it, but it’s basically the same thing. =P

Anyway, you can’t prove (or disprove) the existence of God through logic.

Actually yes it is. How observant of you.

I thought of something last night while working the late shift at Dairy Queen.
If you think about it, reality is relative to its observer. The way I see this reality might not necessarily be the same way everyone else sees it. Imagine if I my vision was based on heat or I never developed eyes at all and depended on hearing or touch alone . My “version” of reality would be drastically different than yours. Or think if my body aged more or less rapidly than someone elses, and my sense of time was thus altered. Since our views of reality differ, does that mean one of us is living a lie? Of course not. Our reality makes perfect sense to us.

How this relates to anything at all with this thread is beyond me. Sorry. :bowser:

With so many different individual perceptions, who could possibly presume that everything is the same for everyone?