Anime Movies

Hi Guys,

I know there’s an anime recommendation thread, however I’m specifically after anime movies. Can anyone recommend me any good anime movies?

The ones Ive seen so far are:

Spirited Away - extremely good movie!
Princess Mononoke - also a very nice movie!
Tales of Earthsea - a mediocre movie… good visuals and story.
Howl’s Moving Castle - pretty good as well!
Grave of the Fireflies - absolutely insane in terms of story and emotion… I almost cried at the end!
Vampire Hunter D - not my cup of tea.
Laputa - Castle in the Sky - not that bad… more directed towards kids.

(NB: please don’t include movies adapted from anime series)

Well, all of the Studio Ghibli movies are a no-brainer. (Besides the ones you’ve already seen, of course.)
Akira is a classic, as is Ghost in the Shell. And I guess I should mention Ninja Scroll, since that’s the third part of my “Anime Classics” movie DVD set. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m a fan of the Dead Leaves movie, but I can tell you right now that it is completely bat shit insane. Whether or not that’s a good thing depends on your taste, but just fyi.

Hm… Most of the other movies I’ve seen are probably, more or less, “adapted from anime series”, though. Cowboy Bebop the Movie is good, as are all the Slayers movies (except Premium. Din’t really care for it). They are completely stand alone (the Slayers movies aren’t even really connected to each other), but they are connected to their respective anime series, even if only tangentially.

I would also recommend Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 1st but it’s not just “adapted” from the series, it’s a straight up remake of the entire first season. But hey, if you watch it, there no need to watch the series (or at least the first season), because it already summarizes everything pretty well. :stuck_out_tongue:

These are all the movies I’ve seen since my previous post:

Akira
Ponyo
Porco Rosso
The Cat Returns
Kiki’s Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
The Secret World of Arrietty
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Ghost in the Shell 2.0
Ghost in the Shell Innocence
Ghost in the Shell SAC Solid State Society

…and they are all extremely awesome both in story and visual/aural aesthetics.

Ninja Scroll and Roujin Z are good. This short is also good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuM8xHQSUEM

Better than the first season anyways because it doesn’t have to figure out that trying to be a ‘by-the-numbers’ Magical Girl show is a waste of time. Also there’s a second movie now but whatever.

But thinking on it, there really haven’t been too many anime movies lately that aren’t at least a continuation or adaption of a series (that are worth a damn at least). Best bet would probably be the Berserk movies that are coming out currently.

As for classics, there’s always the Legend of Galactic Heroes movies, but again they’re a continuation of the series (which is also worth watching).

Yeah there hasn’t been much lately. But I’m looking more for originality as oppose to adaptions. There’s still some pretty decent ones i’ve yet too see. I plan to watch “Perfect Blue” next.

Yeah, I really prefer the movie. It was still worth seeing the series too, since it still has some interesting minor events that aren’t from the movie, and some parts of the plot are slightly different in ways I preferred (even if you still have to slog through the magical girl episodes first).
And I know about the second movie. Been half keeping an eye out for subs, but haven’t seen anything yet. Not that I’ve been looking THAT hard, though.
I guess I should take another look around soon.

I quite like perfect blue. Can’t seem to find the dvd for it in my house anymore though. So I can’t share it with anyone.
Other titles by that director are also fantastic: Paprika, Tokyo Godfathers, and Millennium actress.

Yeah I saw, Perfect Blue sometime ago. I found it somewhat creepy… I guess I’m too used to watching the soft and cuddly Studio Ghibli films! ^^ But it was well made none-the-less. I also watch Paprika, which I enjoyed heaps! Great movie that one… a little confusing at times, but great! The theme song was awesome too. I believe it was the first song to ever utilize the vocaloid! Pure awesomeness! x9

I’ve yet to see Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress, however I don’t believe there are any English dubs for either… yeah I prefer dubs over subs! ^^ (I hate reading while trying to watch a film.)

The creepiness is one of the things I liked about the movie. The girly pop song echoing through the empty garage was such a great scene.

I can’t really remember that scene, it’s been a while since I seen the movie. I should probably watch it again. I just wasn’t expecting the friend to be the psychopath… I always thought it was the shady guy.