An...unusual...Chrono Trigger fic.

Thoughts of Power

What is time? What is it? It is everywhere. It is everything. Is it nothing? Is nothing everything? Am I? I can answer the last. No. Am I outside of time? No? Yes? Who can say? I am, yet I am submitted to it’s trials and tribulations, so I am not. This is a truth of my existence. This is a truth of all existence. The mind can travel through time. The body does not. The body should not. Yet I have. I no longer do. Others do that now, not I. I have no reason to do so. Or at least, no need to do so. And need is important…

What am I? I am the spawn of something, just as I have my own spawns. But my creator is long gone. Long dead? Who can say? Not I. I exist for only two purposes. To exist and to cease existing. That is the paradox of existence. And if that is all I am here for, what else do I do? What I choose. This is the truth of all existence, the meaning of your life. The meaning of my life. The meaning of all life. What am I? I am Power…

Who am I? Another question which only I can answer. My name is in my mind, but I will not say it. I will not even think it. When will I do so? I will tell no-one. I will think of it to no-one. Who is no-one? He exists, of that I am certain. But I have yet to meet the creature with the knowledge of no-one. Where do I look? I don’t look. To find, I must stay, to hunt, I must wait. How do I know this? I don’t know, but the knowledge is mine, and has always being mine and will remain with me ‘til the end of my existence…

No-one must exist. In an infinite universe, everything exists. No matter what it is. A dragon exists, magic exists, I exist, life exists, therefore no-one must exist. If no-one exists, then I have made it my purpose to find him, and to find my name. I have waited here for a long time. How long? Minutes, millennia, it makes no difference. Time is mutable, to those who understand it. It is without beginning or end. What of this place know as the End of Time. It is but a falsehood, believed by fools. The End of Time is but the instant between seconds, the instant between nows. If it contains something, it is not the end, for without time, there is no space, and without space there is nothing…

And if everything exists somewhere, then where does nothing not exist. If the universe is infinite, then it must exist, yet for the universe to be infinite, it can’t exist. Outside the universe, what is there? Is there something there at all? Is there nothing. Is there even an outside to the universe. I cannot answer these, though if I were to make a guess, I would say that outside of this universe, there is the portal to dimensions. Does it contain light to see what choice to make. Again, I cannot say…

And what is light. Do we see light? If we don’t then we see nothing, yet if we do we see nothing. Another paradox to ponder on. To see light is to see white, yet not to see light is not to see black, for black is not the absence of light, it is the absorption of it. It releases no light back at us, but it is surrounded by light so we perceive it by it’s non-reflection. So what colour is nothing? No colour. Again, it is beyond my understanding to comprehend this or to explain it, even to myself. If colour is light, and black is light, then no colour is non-life. That is as close a guess as I can make, and it is undoubtedly wrong in some way, but it was my beliefs are for now…

As of my time of existence here, on this planet, all I have to say is that it has being an interesting experience. Of all the races I have created, these “humans” are the most perfect. Even their flaws are correct. They are the correct balance. That is why I granted them Power. There were some who wouldn’t accept it, or me, and these were granted will. Not by me, but by some other creatures intervention. The woman who has most abused my power, is now as corrupted as the other race was. Her dreams are of death and destruction. She shares my mind, my knowledge, my dreams. She is mad…

But the other, the daughter, she too has being granted will, will to resist. And she has drawn away from me. But she still has my power. I have no other choice but to allow her to have it, I need her yet. She must help release me in this time, as her loved one must do in another. Eventually, the restraints of time shall be broken again, and I shall be free. But until this time, I must abide in this existence, my body being trapped and my mind being free. It is a most unnerving state for me…

But for now I abide and exist and I think of things which are beyond my understanding. All things which I can understand, I do, and have pondered them to death. But so much remains for me to imagine, for me to think of, for me to ponder on. I cannot rest yet. I have existed for longer then my mind can retain, but I to time it is but the blink of eyelid, a brief intake of breath. To time, I have existed for no time, and this a truth that I know to be false, yet true…

Others come now. I sense them. Sense their power. Sense their will. This is unusual, for I sense that they have always being this way. What are these creatures? What is their purpose? Where does their power come from? Not from me, though I thought I was the only one able to grant that power. They have magic, that doesn’t come from me, that I can’t take away, magic with which I am unfamiliar. Magic I don’t know. They fear me, I fear them, we fear the unknown…

They have it…

The unknown…

Magic…

A/N: This is it’s first draft, hence the shortness. That’s how it is for me.
I thought of this while reading a Stephen King novel, so if it seems a bit weird, that’s the reason. Yeah. Now would someone please comment on this one. I’m lonely…
Oh, and in case anyone didn’t get this it’s written from Lavos’ point of view.

Oh come on, somebody must have some thoughts on this.

Interesting idea. It’s confusing, but I’m assuming it’s meant to be that way. I don’t agree with all the ideas in here, but I can see where they’re coming from, and nobody ever said my opinions were the only ones!

Nitpick: The evolution of humans was guided by Lavos, but only to harvest more DNA for the ultimate form which is the centre creature you fight at the end. He didn’t actually create them as there were humans before he arrived.

Several times, especially in the last few paragraphs, you use ‘being’ instead of ‘been’. Read through and try to figure out which ones need to be changed.

Interesting idea with Lavos wanting to be awakened at Zeal, and at Magus’ fortress. This is one of those points I don’t agree with, but it’s just my opinion. I always felt Lavos was annoyed at being woken up. But I did enjoy reading the different viewpoint!

I was a bit unclear at the ending: are you stating a difference between ‘Magic’ and ‘Power’? That’s the impression I got, anyways.

It’s certainly different to see Lavos so confused. It makes the reader feel a bit of pity for him that we never get in the game. Unfortunately, I also found the philosophical confusion distanced me from the story. I didn’t get as into it as I have with other stories.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I’ve only been online sporadically lately, and I haven’t had enough time to make long replies! Hopefully I’ll have time tomorrow or later in the week to comment on you FF7 story…

It was meant to be confusing, as I was trying to show an insane mind. And I thought the main part, or at least the part you have to kill is one of Lavos Bits. Which was pretty weird.
Thanks again, and as I said, this is only first draft, so it’s got a bit to go.
Oh, And by power I was trying to get across they had both will of their own and magic, and that was what power was.
And because I don’t know, when can you use been that you can’t use being. That’s being confusing me for a while.

The main part of Lavos you have to fight is the little Bit to the side, but the compilation of the DNA is the centre one. Sorry 'bout the confusion there!

You certainly did a good job with showing the insane mind. It seemed to twist in loops and spirals! Nicely done!

Someone can correct me on this if I’m wrong, but I believe that ‘been’ is used for past, and ‘being’ for present. I’m not completely sure about that definition, because for me it’s something I identify primarily by how it sounds right. Also, ‘been’ is used with an auxiliary verb ‘to have’ (at least in all these examples it was).

To try and help you out with it, I’ll list the uses in your fic here:

3rd paragraph: “I don’t know, but the knowledge is mine, and has always being mine…” Should be ‘been’.

7th paragraph: “As of my time of existence here, on this planet, all I have to say is that it has being an interesting experience…” Should be ‘been’.

8th paragraph: “But the other, the daughter, she too has being granted will…” Should be ‘been’.

“…my body being trapped and my mind being free…” Both used correctly here!

10th paragraph: “This is unusual, for I sense that they have always being this way.” Should be ‘been’.

A possible way to help tell the difference, is try replacing verb(s) with ‘was’/‘were’ or ‘is’. If was/were fits, it’s ‘been’. If ‘is’ fits, it’s being. Again, don’t quote me on this, but it works for these examples.

I hope that helps some! Now I must go off in search of my old grammar text to see if I can get some backing on this! :mwahaha: Hope it helped some!

It’s interesting. It’s kind of hard to follow, but then again, it’s late at night and I’m not too much in my element… I like it though.

Yep, late as ever, but do you want THIS draft in the update? Or do you want to work on it farther?

Nah, I wanna work on it for a while yet. I work slow.
Edit: But there is another one, let me just find it for you and bring it up.