According to my brother...

Both. Most of my blockhead friends saw me playing SoM, and shouted: “Haha, look at the bitch playing old 2D games!”. Fuck them.

The problem I have with RPGs is that they tend to be too slow. Fights are almost always the same thing, playing is kept pretty low, and every one of them now uses twenty hour cutscenes and animations, which put me to sleep.

Sure, RPGs are fun when you’re nice and relaxed, but when I get pissed off at the world, I steam off by firing up a FPS and plugging a bunch of computerized people. I did try GTA for the same thing, but didn’t like it. I like violent games only if they have a purpose OTHER than stealing cars, killing random people, and having sex with STD-laden hookers every three seconds.

everything that you guys just said about my brother is all true.:hahaha;

Originally posted by Chris-chris
Heh… didn’t think you guys would go after my thoart. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did not go for your throat- nor was I CYnical. I was merely pointing out to you that this is not the most important thing in the world. Try not to worry so much, its not good for you. I should know. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think most RPGs are boring now. The majority of them are just hold the okay button to win battles or select attack repeatedly. You rarely need to actually think, despite what so many RPG players like to claim.

ok. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Dai ryuujin
I think most RPGs are boring now. The majority of them are just hold the okay button to win battles or select attack repeatedly. You rarely need to actually think, despite what so many RPG players like to claim.

Yeah… I’m jaded with the current RPG scene, too. >>

That’s exactly why I prefer games like ToP, ToE, Star Ocean, etc over games like Final Fantasy.

I had to grow to like RPG’s… My friends like are obbessed with them…

Most of my friends dislike rpgs, do they hate me for liking rpgs? no.

Do I hate them for not liking rpgs?

Yes, I wish they were dead.

That 's why I like story based RPGs like FF9 and Xenogears.

Most RPGs are boring nowadays.

After FF7, RPGs became more mainstream, and we got a lot more RPGs. but of course, most of them aren’t exactly the most memorable of RPGs. With people just trying to cash in on RPGs and stuff, like Legend of Dragoon, and making horrible RPGs. The list of bad RPGs from the last generation can be kinda long, just think about some games, like Shadow Madness, Quest 64 (Though I persnall thought it wasn’t that bad), Beyond the Beyond, Aydin Chronicles, Threads of Fate, just to name a few. Nowadays, we get way more RPGs, and as you can see, they’re not all classics like we saw in the SNES days. Even those games were not necesarily THE GREATEST, but since only the games that were predicted to be the most successful were localized, we saw a much higher percenatage of good stuff.

Nowadays, innovations is key. Just as other genres of video games get more advanced, RPGs kinda have to do the same thing. Most RPGs that tried in the PSX/N64 failed, like Quest 64, Star Ocean 2 (Some may beg to differ, but I think there isn’t anything special about Star Ocean 2), Legend of Legaia, amonst others. But regardless, nowadays, you won’t often see a more simple game released on a newer console (Which might be why the Lunar games are such refreshingly nice games to play :D). So, of course, the few major RPG publishers around are putting out the best stuff they can.

Like, Final fantasy 10 did pretty nice to with the sphere grid and the whole necesary-status-effects thing, but after a while it wasn’t overly necesary, and just boring.

like Konami is trying very innovative things, as with Suikoden 3 and Ephemeral Fantasia, but they only serve to be tedious, and obnoxious.

The SaGa series is kinda going down a bad route too…Unlimited SaGa was very innovative and original, but, like most bad RPGs, it’s ridiculously hard because it’s hard to work it (Anyone remember Enix’s 7th Saga? :P).

Some games try sticking to old roots, like Lufia, but fail to create a feeling of nostalgia, or a fun game you wanna play again and again.

Other games are trying to pool on storylines, which are what most people seem to like about RPGs, like Xenosaga, but they don’t do so well, either because of lack of gameplay, or the fact that some games rest on their sequels (Xenosaga does both kinda :P)

I think the only really GREAT RPG lately that I’ve played (Note that I haven’t played EVERY RPG on the PS2 that was considered great, like KH or DC2, or the recent Arc the Lad) was Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. It was short, the story that was THERE was very well developed, it paid good attention to detail, and the fighting wasn’t ultra mega whammi diffucult, if you used your head. It was reasonable. :stuck_out_tongue:

Either way, yeah, RPGs are pretty boring nowadays. I know that I personally wait and hope for older RPGs to be translated that were from more popular series, like SaGa and Lunar, rather than look forward to other games which may or may not be good. The most consistently fun RPGs that come out nowadays are tactics RPGs, and I personally am looking forward to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance…but that’s about the only one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, I don’t believe your brother is wrong or stupid or whatever in believing that RPGs are boring. Quite frankly, I think most of them are too. But they’re nice, sometimes.

Some people just have different tastes, while some video game players just assume RPGs are boring and don’t know how enjoyable they are, but RPGs are far from boring in my opinion.

I think the first RPG I played was SMRPG, and I loved it. The rest is history.

It’s like SG said; now that companies are cranking out RPGs monthly, some aren’t as original or as fun as the FF series or Chono Trigger.

Originally posted by Sinistral
That 's why I like story based RPGs like FF9…

Jesus. At least choose a half-way decent story if you are going to choose “story based” games.

Hey, Threads of Fate was good ;_;

Vicki? Vicki mints?

Perhaps we’re expecting TOO much of RPGs? Not EVERY game can be a FF7.

Personally, I’m satisfied as long as the game has a halfway decent story and/or an unique game system feature.

BTW, I tend to alternate games- I play the funnier ones in-between the more serious ones. I remember that, after completing XENOGEARS, I needed to unwind badly- so I played THOUSAND ARMS. Man, what a funny game! : )

lol… well, I know you and Johnny don’t get along that well anyways… but he is a wrestling fan.

Send him a message for me.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLDBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURG!!!

and:

JERICHO SUCKS!!!

People think RPG’s are boring because you don’t actually do anything. As opposed to games such as, say, Onimusha, where you hit a button and he swings his sword, and hit it again and he does a combo, in an RPG you hit a button and he runs up and does it on his own. While I personally see the irrelevence in this because technically you’re still getting the same effect, some people find this boring because it’s planned out in the way that the monsters can’t neccessarily dodge, and neither can you.

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
[b]Perhaps we’re expecting TOO much of RPGs? Not EVERY game can be a FF7.

Personally, I’m satisfied as long as the game has a halfway decent story and/or an unique game system feature.

BTW, I tend to alternate games- I play the funnier ones in-between the more serious ones. I remember that, after completing XENOGEARS, I needed to unwind badly- so I played THOUSAND ARMS. Man, what a funny game! : ) [/b]

I’m not looking for an epic (which I think FF7 wasn’t, frankly. I didn’t like it at all since the story didn’t impress me, and it also suffered from hold okay to win). I’m looking to get my money’s worth, and I’ve found that most of them aren’t worth it.

And yeah, Thousand Arms was cool :stuck_out_tongue: