A Muslim-friendly soft drink.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/08/08/Consumers/Muslimcola_030808

Discuss.

It’s identical to the recent X-TREME soft drink phenomana we’ve been seeing lately. The companies put out a soft drink that seems to be customized to a select group, and tells you to buy it to fight back against “the man”. It seems shameful, but really everybody does it. The only difference here is that religion is brought into the mix.

There was Mecca-Cola a while ago

[b]

Qibla-Cola was launched in February to offer an alternative to Coke and Pepsi for Muslims. Anger over the treatment of Muslims in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks has carried over to multinationals like soft drink companies.

(…)

It’s unlikely Coke will be seeing another cola war. This new entry is not about commercial tastes but political preferences.

(…)

Ebrahim says Muslims can respond to the Sept. 11 backlash with their wallets. The message is already embedded in the marketing campaign: Liberate Your Taste.

(…)

“People don’t actually drink the product anymore, they drink the marketing.”
[/b]

Interesting.

Originally posted by Dai ryuujin

Comparing a soft-drink to the main worship focus of the most militant religion in the world? That is either incredibly brave or indescribably stupid.

Ten percent to developing nations? Well, does that mean ALL developing nations or only select Islamic nations? I have no problem with a company doing either, but I still would like to have that clarified.

What makes money, will be made: It’s the drive of this world.

Originally posted by Nulani
What makes money, will be made: It’s the drive of this world.

That manages to make me sad on some deep level of my consciousness. It’s true as well, which doesn’t help…

I wonder why we haven’t seen other products doing the same thing? There’s the osher market for jews, and now this. What else are companies thinking about for specific markets now? Answers on a postcard.

Originally posted by Dai ryuujin

Yeah, like a year ago. Crazy capitalists trying to capitalize on other crazy capitalists.

Heh. Dem capitalists, they be crayyyyyze.

I’m surprised it took this long for someone to make a real effort. It’s not as if Muslims are a minority or anything.

Originally posted by Pierson
Comparing a soft-drink to the main worship focus of the most militant religion in the world? That is either incredibly brave or indescribably stupid.

Both.

Meh. Lets all watch as company folds. What IS the company doing this? It’s not Cola (whatever their company is called) is it?

Oh, I’m sorry- the most militant religion in the world is CHRISTIANITY.

Thats Christianity.

Thank you for playing you can take a version of our home game but I’m afraid that you’re a loooooooooser. >>

What’s so infidelish about Coke and Pepsi?

Originally posted by Cybercompost
[b]Oh, I’m sorry- the most militant religion in the world is CHRISTIANITY.

Thats Christianity.

Thank you for playing you can take a version of our home game but I’m afraid that you’re a loooooooooser. >> [/b]

I disagree, but that’s my opinion. I would say that it IS Christianity, but only when applied to the US exclusively, and not the world.

I disagree, but that’s my opinion. I would say that it IS Christianity, but only when applied to the US exclusively, and not the world.

Who started The Crusades? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Pierson meant currently.

And I see no difference between Islamic terrorism and the Crusades.

Originally posted by Megaman984
[b]I think Pierson meant currently.

And I see no difference between Islamic terrorism and the Crusades. [/b]

Oh. I was thinking historically.

I agree wholeheartedly with your second statement- only they aren’t being as sick as the Christians were, raping, roasting children in fires and such. But I guess that is more due to the fact that WAR has become more “civilized.”

Well, I guess being on a plane flown into a building or dying in the fires from the explosion or being shot execution style are better than raping or dying in fires.

No matter how “Civilized” war becomes, it’ll still involve countless numbers of dead people.

I don’t consider war civilized in the slightest.