15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=000D4FEC-7D5B-1D07-8E49809EC588EEDF&page=1

This is an excellent article. It helped improve my understanding of evolutionary biology, and was an entertaining read. A warning: don’t read the comments unless you want to slap your forehead and groan.

The article truly is an interesting read, and I also recommend people watch the documentary about the trial a while back about whether or not ID should be taught as an alternative to evolution. That was also very informative, both about evolution and the flaws in creationism as a science.

It’s quite long, but worth it, I think.

I didn’t learn anything new

<i>Finally</i> the effects of going to university are kicking in

I have the original print of this one. It’s one of my favorite issues of Scientific American.

ONE DAY EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW AND EVERY TONGUE CONFESS JESUS CHRIST IS LORD. ON THAT DAY YOU WILL SEE WHO CREATED YOU!!! TELL ME IF YOU DON’T BELEIVE IN A CREATOR THEN YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO KEEP GOING BACK TO ANOTHER SOURCE SUCH AS WHO MADE THE PARTICLES THAT FORMED THE EARTH. CREATIONIST HAVE GIVEN ENOUGH SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE AND THE BIBLE SAYS IF YOU CAN’T LOOK AT THE WORLD AND SEE IT WAS MADE BY HIM THEN YOU ARE WITHOUT EXCUSE

I didn’t learn anything new either but it was a good refreshment. Its actually a pretty decent article for people that have little background in biology.

Dodos:
http://www.flockofdodos.com/

PBS Judgment Day? RPT mentioned this not too long ago.

Edit: BBC had a similar documentary – very informative, indeed.

My main problem with creationism has always been it implies that God actually knew what he was doing when he made the Earth/etc. Which is clear bollocks.

Good article.

Heh, I once heard a suggestion that someone should write something entitled “Just How Intelligent Is The Design, Anyway?”

But again, the problem is that this uses logic, which creationists are notoriously bad at.

I don’t buy it.

Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
      The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
          Hath had elsewhere its setting,
            And cometh from afar:
          Not in entire forgetfulness,
          And not in utter nakedness,
      But trailing clouds of glory do we come
          From God, who is our home.

The… entire point of this is?

I don’t understand why those who adhere to the Bible cling to Genesis so much. Combining the incorrect origins of the world (bats are fowl, and came before land?) with a laughable flood myth, there is nothing within that book that is even feasible. Isn’t it more powerful as a metaphor, anyway? Taken literally, God is just a big dick.

But what has this got to do with Wordsworth?

If the creation of the Earth can’t be taken with a grain of salt than it’s a pretty big blow to everything else in the Bible as well. I mean, that’s how I take it. If you can’t take how the world was created to be truth than what about everything else.

The thing is, I’ve already made my mind up about this. Intelligent design is just trying to go halfway with both and fails. If you want to teach creationism, then teach it, don’t try to wrap it up. I don’t understand everything, and I don’t have to; I’m totally comfortable with what I know.

For what it’s worth, I don’t have a problem with evolution being taught in school’s; it was taught in my class, every other sentence was, “You can choose what you want to believe,” but it was taught nonetheless at arm’s length. It’s a legitimate theory and hearing it being taught in class didn’t turn me into a Godless heathen or anything so I don’t have a problem with it.

Who’s Wordsworth?

Only one of the most influential British poets ever

The poet who got things rolling for the Romantics and whose lines Sil cited.

I don’t know, I always thought the Holy Ghost knew the concept of symbols and wasn’t all literal minded.

Sil, I rebut:

On the first day, God made the sea.
But on the seventh day, he made me.
He was tryin’ to rest, y’all, when he heard a sound.
Sound like a guitar, and started gettin’ down.
I tried to bust a high-note, but I busted a string.
My God was worried 'till he heard me sing.

My name is Arac, and I am funky.
My name is Arac, the one and only.
I did not come to funk around.
'Till I get the 9-8-4, I won’t leave this town.

:thinking:People can think what ever they want. If you want my opinion, which I’m sure you don’t, I think religion is just a way to answer questions we can’t our selves. And, I’ve realized that religion from a long time ago is thought to be absurd because we’ve answered the questions those people were trying to answer. In years to come, people will laugh at our religion.

In the beginning
Back in nineteen fifty five
Man didn’t know 'bout a rock ‘n’ roll show
And all that jive
The white man had the schmaltz
The black man had the blues
No one knew what they was gonna do
But Tschaikovsky had the news
He said let there be sound
There was sound
Let there be light
There was light
Let there be drums
There was drums
Let there be guitar
There was guitar
Let there be rock

The Kingdom of Heaven was made on ROCK AND ROLL!