Zombie outbreaks!

I roll for Turn Undead.

Oh, shit! I thought I mentioned that. Yeah, you’d need a water purifyer of some sort, although vast amounts of onboard distilled water is advisable, as well.

Lanyx: That depends on whose zombie theories we’re working with. Even if it doesn’t matter, you have to keep in mind how many bullets it’s going to take with an assault rifle to put one through their head. They take much longer to aim than a shotgun, which will fuck up a zombie bad enough to keep it off your back even if you can’t manage to kill it.

Barak: That depends on the size and speed of the outbreak; if it’s just one zombie, kill it and any of the few it’s managed to infect before they come back to life. Similarly, even a hundred zombies in a single city could be easily beaten back. In a true apocalypse situation, though, zombies out-number humans by so damn many killing all of them will be a near impossibility. Even bad single-city infestations are likely to take out everyone in the city without outside help. Fleeing is a much better option, generally, and getting a base of operations to push back the zombies.
The island, or an arctic, mountainous fortress would be incredibly effective. The mountain fortress has the disadvantage of more attacks from its land origin, but has more easily obtained food and water, provided the zombies don’t get in. Also, the cold climate can prove to be deadly, as well, and make up a perimeter defense more difficult than that of an uninhabited tropical island. In either fortress, you can wait out the zombies for a very long time. If it is possible for them to die of starvation, or if they continue to rot and deteriorate as normal corpses, you should be able to simply out-last them, seige-style, in a very isolated fortress.
Zombies are almost always stronger than people, Barak; human muscles can do much more than we do with them, however, they would tear apart, and we have instincts and a pain barrier that normally prevents us from so using our muscles and injuring ourselves. Zombies have neither blockade, and so will often use all their strenght and literally tear themself apart. This is another reason they’re often thought to gradually grow weaker, but the gradual descent doesn’t help you if you’re the one they use the strength on.

Suppose there’s more than just human zombiues? If we go to the Arctic, what if we find zombie polar bears? Or zombie penguins in the antarctic? Zombie monkeys in the forests, zombie sharks in the waters. Zombie birds in the air, too. Face it, the only sure way to live is in a giant floating bubble surrounded by a lake of fire and a moat.

Zombie sharks are only a danger if we go underwater, really. On the water, you’re pretty safe from sharks. If you catch a zombified one, kill it and then throw it back. In the arctic, I mentioned isolated areas for a reason.

Zombie fish wouldn’t probably be able to swim, and not only because of a lack of fine motor skills. For the bony ones, their air bladders would quickly rot, so they would lose their flotation ability and sink to the sea bed. The cartilaginous ones like sharks and mantas rely on liver oil to stay afloat - since they’re dead, they wouldn’t produce any more oil, and it would be harder and harder for them to come up over time as they lose that oil. Zombie whales wouldn’t probably be able to use their sonars, because their sound producing systems would also be rotten, so they wouldn’t locate you so easily.

That leaves only zombie giant squids and zombie floating jellyfish for you to worry with.

Stay the way from walmart and costco. It might seem smart, but with power going out, all that food would spoil, and you have too many doors and windows for the undead to break through.

I too am a zombie nut. Perhaps ranked third right after Valkirby Esker and Arac. Get Max Brooks books, Zombie survival guide and World War Z, and go to the wilderness especially up north where it is cold with lots of supplies for both the animals and the zombies, so you can survive the dead.

The dead can go underwater and drag you under, and ther is one theory that has them swimming, so staying on the ocean isnt a good idea.

Didn’t the zombie outbreak already happen?

Didn’t you get the memo? That was just a drill. The real thing is estimated to happen in about fifty years. That’s what I heard, though, I could be wrong.

Dragging you under from a boat is much less likely, even if they can swim. People, even ones willing to expend the totality of their strength in desperate, muscle-shredding bursts can rarely match the speed of ships. Keep in mind they are also deteriorating, physically, regardless of muscle damage, and cannot keep up for long, even if they can. In addition, the time it takes them to board is time enough to kill them or maim them enough to leave them to finish off later.
They’re also physiologically much more likely to be able to get at you in the artcic than they are in the water, although with such a mysterious phenomenon as zombification, either is readily possible. However, you could travel to the arctic from the ocean if it turned out to be unsafe with equal safety as travelling there by land.

True but it hasn’t been proven how fast the deteriorate, and as for rigor motis, well that only lasts for anywhere between four to six hours at best, so tight, muscles that slow them down, would weaken to the point that they’d be able to travel at fast bits of speeds for a brief period, before disappearing totally. Then again we don’t know if eating meat slows down the decomposition process either.

And the ghouls, or whatever you’d like to call the intelligent zombies, or next stage evolution of them, could get you with your own gun or knife.

I was saying the only way they could keep up with a boat is if they tear their own muscles from over-exertion. In that case, they would deteriorate very quickly. Natural deterioration is another, but in the instance of them keeping up with a Catamaran, they are actually physically tearing themselves apart.
The idea is to get an army i na fortified area before ghouls can evolve. Also, the idea of a species which theoretically cannot reproduce evolving is questionable. Beyond the idea of natural selection being unable to select intelligence out of zombies, since it does not exist, is difficult, as is the idea of inherited traits through infection as a reproductive equivalent. Zombies would, anyway, probably starve out as a species long before they evolved into sentience, if it either of the two is possible. Sentience could take millions of years to evolve, at least hundreds of thousands, by which time I doubt the human race would be around even if it weren’t for zombies.

Its also possible without humans they’d turn their attention to other things to eat. And as for sentinence, and evolution we’ve seen certain animals and what not evolve an adapt fast when they needed to. The sentince I was talking about was basically Land of the Dead, where what, forty, fifty years had passed since Night of the Living Dead? True Ido’t think they’d be as smart in that same pattern of time as what the movies have them being, but what if without the need to hunt or perhaps without the availability of their primary prey nature forces them to adapt or die. This would result in the loss of nearly 90% of the zombies, but the ten percent that lived, think what might happen.

Yeah, but the animals would run out as well.

There is no only so much adaptation that can occur. Things can evolve small changes fast when they need to, but snetience has only occured once and took about 40,00 generations, from what I remember, generations that zombies do not even have, since they do not reproduce.

Interesting enough there is some speculation on that they DO have the power to do so, or at least give birth after they’ve become zombies. Now I am not saying it would happen, or even could happen. Chances are good it can’t but what we know from the movies and common sense, no it can’t.

Then again, who know what might happen in real life?

40,000 generations after the zombies come, I will be dead. I no longer care upon reaching that point.

Not to totally derail the topic, but this is REALLY FREAKING COOL:

Marvel_Zombies_vs._The_Army_of_Darkness

You might if your a zombie, LOL. Also we don’t know if they starve, from what we know, they eat because its instinct, not because they need too.

Trillian, that’s awesome, I wish I could get a comic store here.