You Who Issue Rainbows

I finished writing a long play yesterday (2917 lines), so today was my first chance in a while to write a poem short enough for posting. Let me know what you think

<i>You Who Issue Rainbows</i>

Together, side by side before a wonder,
We gaze upon the thund’ring waterfall,
And marvel at the rampage of the river.
The sun effulges overhead, and all
The river glitters with its bright reflection.
Its course shifts slightly, with an errant squall,
And, lighting on a sudden imperfection,
The sunlight is diffracted into rays
Of vibrant color, dazzling our vision.
The iridescent stream of light, which plays
Above the cataract, reflects the sun,
But water has imbued it with its blaze;
And you! who issue rainbows, surely are
A prism to the very Morning Star.

Very nice! I love the description of the rainbow and how it’s made. It’s very easy to picture in my mind, and very pretty. It’s a nice scene overall, too, with the pair watching the waterfall. It gives off a very relaxing air.

I’m curious why you used the Morning Star at the end. That’s Venus, and it doesn’t give off its own light, but reflects the light of the Sun. I guess it can be an indirect way of fracturing the light from the Sun… Then again, I could be missing something. I never claimed to be an expert on poetry. :no2:

What does “effulges” mean? I couldn’t find it in my dictionary… I’m assuming from the context it means something like “shines”?

A couple of things that didn’t seem to fit in my mind (which doesn’t necessarily mean that anything’s wrong with them. My brain could be broken… :fungah: )

Its course shifts slightly
Course doesn’t seem to fit in my mind… Maybe spray? Flow?

But water has imbued it with its blaze;
There’s two indefinite pronouns in close proximity, which is kinda confusing. I’m thinking that both are referring back to the “stream of light”, but I had to think about it for a while. Maybe if you change the ‘its’ to ‘a’? Just a suggestion.

Another beautiful poem! :dancer:

Thanks, I’m glad you like it. With the Morning Star, I was hearkening back to the older, more poetic view of the planet Venus, from when there was no real distinction between planets and stars. At one point, people viewed the planet Venus as a representation of the goddess Venus, if not as the goddess herself. It was also adopted as a symbol for the Virgin Mary later on. I was just using it as a source of heavenly beauty. My idea was that, what the waterfall is to the sun, the subject of the poem is to the Morning Star: catching its light, imbuing it with her own “blaze,” and sending it outward in her personality; “issuing rainbows.”

<b>Effulge</b>

To cause to shine with abundance of light; to radiate; to beam