You may have noticed...

Good luck, Roun! I hope you’ll like it at your new school.

Hey, I was one class away from completing my degree coming into this semester. And now… I’m STILL one class away from completing my degree.

:fungah:

bad little boy

This stuff happens to us sometimes. But we can overcome it if we choose to let ourselves do so.

The trick is to not let yourself feel irrevocably undermined and set back by this, yet still drawing enough shame and humiliation (if such things work to motivate you; if not, don’t feel them [easier said than done]) to spur you on. Or something.
As for the social/relationship stuff… No friends is better than bad friends [Yes, It Is]. If you really and honestly don’t feel you can trust these people (or that they are in some way unhealthy for you to be around) then cut them loose. If you suspect that you’re just being overcautious and paranoid, hmm. I dunno. I don’t advocate taking medications for the most part (I feel they are anesthesias and not cures and we in this country are too quick to prescribe and rely on them) but that’s something to consider I suppose. Though I prefer to recommend making the effort to build up your ability to trust. Maybe give your friends chances to come through for you. Set up situations where you ask favors of them (that are expendible losses if they don’t come through, so you’re out nothin’) and let them come through for you. And gradually work your way up to heavier stuff. You know, like lifting weights.

And my friendships have just “happened” so I suppose one should go that route and not try to “Go Out And Seek Friends” Don’t try to make them happen but let them develop from natural connections or something.

And remember a change of scenery is a chance to start over and remake yourself in front of a wholly new audience; all new people around you, you are un-typecast and the slate of expectations is wiped clean. You can choose to be somebody new and act in a new way (I was too wussy to do so; oops)

[Remember I’m still struggling to figure all this shit out for myself, too. So this isn’t a definitive “Adhere TO THIS” guide or nothing, just one loner college student trying to give tips to a perceived peer group. Your mileage may vary.]