You guys are friggin' terrorists

Scratch that. I meant that just downloading the content is different from going around profiting from pirate copies.

So the solution is to educate people so that they can steal their music and films for themselves, rather than paying terrorists to do it for them?

I’m not sure where I stand on royalties. I can understand wanting, say, a piece of the advertising revenue that comes to a TV station while they play a movie you made, but at the same time, you’re being paid without actually producing anything, which strikes me as odd. I mean, Bantam publishing doesn’t get a cut of the <i>n<sup>th</sup></i> resale of one of it’s books, although I imagine they’d want one if they could track it. And as zepp pointed out, a downloaded song is not necessarily a loss, and what losses occur is hard to quantify anyway.

It seems these people have forgotten that the world doesn’t owe them a living.

The old business model is no longer valid. The ??AA may try to preserve it by criminalizing those activities and ultimately the means used to circumvent it, but all they do is alienate more potential customers by labeling them as criminals.

We can guess from the prevalence of p2p software that demand for music and movies is sky high; it’s just that p2p is preferable for people who don’t want to plunge their money into the massive gulf that is the Entertainment Industries’ profit margin. Walk up to a box office, and it’s almost like they’re saying “hoep u got 10bux, lol.” And we can see what this money supports.

There’s no sympathy out there for them that I can see. There have been attempts to “put a face” on the industry, which reminded me of the oft-parodied anti-littering commercial with the stoicly weeping Indian chief (Married with Children did a particularly good one). Ron Howard’s appearance reminded me of Ronald Reagan’s “win one for the Gipper.” Yeah, they’ll listen to Ron Howard! He’s like a god to them! <_<

There were also TV ads and bumpers on DVDs that go for the moral angle (“you wouldn’t steal a car…”) but these are cluttered by ridiculous attempts to seem “hip,” above and beyond their ridiculous expectation that it would be an effective message. You’re either preaching to the choir, people who bought/rented the DVD and shouldn’t have to sit through this (whatever happened to customer service?), or you’re providing even <i>more</i> entertainment value to those who downloaded/ripped and burned an image of the DVD. Oh the irony!

These ads have all been heavy-handed and contrived. I thought the MPAA was a group of <i>talented media professionals</i>. You’d figure they’d be better at promoting themselves.

Kraken, if I lived in the same place as you, I would vote on your for senator :slight_smile:

Sound an awful lot like the US Patriot Act to me.