Yes, its ANOTHER origin story!

BALLET CLASS!? NO!! VAL, THAT’S INHUMAN!!!
:hahaha;

Getting back to the story: actually, the guards weren’t stupid; it was PC who was far too clever for them. He knew exactly how they would react, which was how most human beings in their situation would react.

This only makes me wonder: WHO is -or was- PC? I’m betting a highly trained spy or assassin. Now to see how he actually makes his escape…

I am glad you are curious Wil… means I have done my job. And considering I am planning on a three part story… laughs evilly.

And, keep in mind that Val didn’t say I was a student in the class, nor did she mention the age or availability of the students…

So as far as I know, I have a potential list of phone numbers.

This is great so far, PC! Keep it up!

Originally posted by PC Glenton
[b]I am glad you are curious Wil… means I have done my job. And considering I am planning on a three part story… laughs evilly.

And, keep in mind that Val didn’t say I was a student in the class, nor did she mention the age or availability of the students…

So as far as I know, I have a potential list of phone numbers. [/b]

Hey, a sister can’t be evil ALL the time, can she? ^^

Ok, another chapter. Though, I am very doubtful about this one, for some reason. Tell me what you think.

Chapter Four: Prey

I turned toward the exit from this corridor of cells, but a burst of static caught my attention… it was the dead guard’s radio… sounded like someone was making a broadcast. “Attention, all security personnel. Subject G Nine dash Ninety-Nine has escaped from holding cell. Please send backup immediately.”

Damn! The source of the voice was clear to me, as I heard it not only from the radio, but from the slits from my former cell. I left the imprisoned guard with a way to warn the whole damn party!

There was no more time for thinking. Escaping by a door was now out of the question. They would be expecting me to show up that way, and the hall would be swarming with guards. I needed another exit, and quickly.

It was then I noticed some grating near the ground It looked hollow behind it, and I didn’t have any other options. It wasn’t on very tightly, and I was able to pull it out with some effort, and some quick pushing and pulling motions.

I was in luck… this grating was part of a system of air-ducts, and I could crawl my way through, hopefully without any more incidents. A few minutes into the ducts, a familiar burst of static told me I had sub-consciously palmed the corpse’s radio. The message following the static made me freeze

“All personnel, escaped subject has entered air ducts. Requesting assistance.”

I then realized my mistake. By leaving the grate open, I pretty much left a big arrow pointing my way. But, the time to regret that mistake was soon forgotten, as I heard a reply on the radio.

“Don’t worry, security. We are proceeding to flood the ducts with the rat gas. Kind of convenient, since we were overdue for the cleaning anyway. Gassing begins in five minutes.”

I started to get anxious. Only five minutes to get the hell out of here, and I had no idea where any of these ducts led, or where the nearest exit was. I had no choice but to take this gamble, considering I had my life at stake.

Some time later, but definitely under five minutes, I managed to come across another grate. Having no time to be choosy, I pushed against the bars, and emerged in what looked to be something right out of science fiction.

I wasn’t sure if this was a lab, or an exhibit hall, or a nightmare. The room was up to the wall with shelves, all of them sagging under the weight of jars. Jars of different width, height, and texture. And all of them containing some kind of biological mistake.

Partly born three headed rats, human hands covered in scales,… this whole room a testament to oddities and unnatural existences. And, on every single lid of every one of those jars, was the same message: Property of Stalter, Inc.

My mind raced with questions. Who were these people? Obviously an industry, but why did they create creatures like this? And… was I made the same way? If so, why am I still mostly human? They obviously worked on modifications… so why wasn’t I modified?

My train of thought was interrupted by a shivering voice, filled with nervousness. “D-Don’t move! I have a g-g-gun here, and…”

I grinned, and finished his sentence for him. “… and you never shot from it before, right?” He didn’t answer.

I took advantage of his hesitation, and twirled around, knocking the gun out of his hands. I took a quick look, and judged from his white lab coat that he was some kind of scientist, and a very scrawny one, for that matter.

The man yelped, and started to run. He was slow, though, and I managed to grab him by his jacket.
I didn’t want to waste bullets on him, but I couldn’t let him warn others, so I just knocked him out.

I paused to check his gun, disgusted to find it wasn’t even loaded, and continued with my escape.

Ok, its been awhile, but I am not going to give up on this, bad chapters or not…

Anyway, I have no idea if that elevator trick will work… I kinda guessed at that… next chapter will be the last one involving my escape… the rest will be more personable.

Enjoy!!!

Chapter Five: Elude

I snuck a glimpse out the door, but didn’t notice anyone, just one security camera. Fortunately, it was one of those swivel types that move back and forth, looking for anything odd. I was able to time the camera’s movement, and move under the head, and out of its visual range. I thought about permanently removing the threat, but decided that would alert somebody looking through a monitor. I just waited for the camera to turn again, and kept moving.

The hallway I maneuvered through was painted white, with hints of gray peering through the paint. Probably an older building, made to be economical, yet pleasant and sanitary. Cheap and clean… nice people here.

But, I had no time for such thoughts, because I heard footsteps… and I doubt they would be anything like that lab scientist. They were getting closer… I then noticed an adjoining hallway, and quickly turned, keeping my back to the wall. Sure enough, a guard walked by, too preoccupied in his patrol to notice me… I waited for him to walk a little more, and then continued on my trek… though, I realized I had no idea where to go. I just needed to survive.

The radio blitzed again, a warning of an incoming message. “All personnel, medical attention to specimen storage! Dr. Isled is out cold… look like he got cold conked.”

“Damn, the escapee must of got out before the gas! Security personal, resume alert status, over!”

Oh great… they discovered that scientist. And in a hallway, I was pretty much screaming to be found. I ran, trying to find a door, or anything… the best thing I could find was an elevator. An enclosed death trap, but it was my only possible escape. Only one thing to do: great creative.

I pushed open the door, like I was opening it, looking up at the numbers. Good, no unexpected stops. It may be empty. I pushed myself against the wall, taking a deep breath as it opened… and exhaled when nobody came out. Now, came the tricky part. Leaning partway in, my foot bracing the door open, I looked over the buttons. Hmmm… good, they have a basement. Odd, though… that instead of a lobby they had a garage. Oh well, still my best chance of getting out.

I hit the button for to go down to the basement, but didn’t enter the elevator. I stepped out, putting my hand in the way of the door. The door closed on my fingers, but they didn’t hurt them. The elevator stopped, though. Grumbling a bit, and looking over my shoulder, I used my mouth and ripped one of the sleeves of my green outfit, and stuffed the thing cloth in the doorway, folding it into fifths, and sticking it in the door instead… Yes, it was thin enough to let the elevator go, but still leave an opening.

After waiting a few scant seconds, I reached my fingers into the thin opening, and pushed open the elevator doors, grunting at the resistance they put up this time. Despite the age of the building, it seems they did their best to keep things safe for their employees. Looking down at the top of the elevator, I grinned… I had a way down, and no hanging cage. I entered the shaft, and noted the emergency release button next to the door… I just had to wait for the elevator to stop, and get moving.

The next obstacle would be coming soon.

Verrry nice. And BTW, it’s cold-COCKED. cold-cocks PC

So far, I don’t see anything wrong, PC. The escape scene has been handled well; I liked the fact that, while our hero might have the skills of a James Bond, he can still make stupid mistakes like forgetting to close the air duct after crawling in it. It helps to balance things, so that he does not come across as annoyingly perfect, as so many action heroes do. Also, nice touch with the rat gas; that’s a measure that many writers oversee in scenes like this.

I think you’ve handled the introductory action very well, and can’t wait to see how our hero reacts once he has some time to think about what his next step after escaping should be.

Please continue the good work.

Ok… another chapter. This is the LAST one involving the escape… and things will get more intresting next chapter.

I hope you enjoy it, and tell me what you think.

-Chapter Six: Freedom-

The elevator continued down, its speed helped slightly by the added weight of the desperate man hitching a ride just outside, and on the top.  It stopped at the basement, opening its doors for those that may be hoping to get a ride to the higher floors, but my stop was the garage.  I hit the emergency open button next to the doors,  and took a quick peek outside, hiding most of my body with the opening doors, moving as they did.

It seemed one guard noticed that the elevator looked different then before, and, true to his duty, went and checked.  He was greeted by a pair of hands grabbing him in, and then knocking him out with the butt of a pistol.  I was thankful I had thought of riding the shaft.  Hanging in the main doors would not have given me enough room to remain fully hidden.  I would be a sitting duck as soon as the doors opened.

I pointed my gun in the ready position, moving in a semi-circle straddle, making sure everything was clear, and getting a scope of my surroundings.  No sign of guards, but a lot of boxes and equipment.  I could sneak my way through, and find an exit amongst the maze of cardboard.  As an afterthought, I called the elevator to the garage, and quickly sent it to the top floor.  I couldn’t risk any more exposure, even if it meant crushing a man between a ceiling and an elevator.

I maneuvered my way amongst the jungle of packaged goods.  All of them different sizes and colors, but all of them labeled with Stalter, Inc. all over.  The same company that had their name on the vats of mutants I found.  Well, the time for reflection had to wait…  hesitation would get me killed.

I moved cautiously, expecting every corner to have a guard or a gun pointed to my head. but I was fortunate.  There were guards searching the area, but they were moving in set patrol patterns.  It was an easy matter to sneak by when there back was turned, and hide behind more boxes.  Eventually, I came across a small semi.  It was about half the size of most semis, probably used for moderate cargo runs.  From my vantage point, I noticed two conversing men, walking toward the doors, both wearing hats and uniforms with that same Stalter logo.  It seemed like they were preparing to drive on out.  Well, they were taking more then whatever cargo they had planned.  They were also transporting a fugitive.  

I quickly looked both ways, and then jumped in the back of the vehicle, hiding behind more boxes.  I heard the door close, leaving me in the darkness.  I crawled toward the front, and tried to eavesdrop on the two drivers.

“Hey, Carl… mind if you take first trip? I just came back from a loner this morning, and really need to sleep.” This morning… must be near evening or night, then.

“Sure, Henry, sure… heh, too bad this cargo needs to be shipped ASAP. You could of got a couple of hours while they were searching for that intruder.”

“Actually, I heard he was an escapee, but who knows. Not like they tell us anything.”

“Yeah… too low on the ol’ totem pole. Anyway, let’s hit the road. This place gives me the creeps, and we won’t be stopping until morning.”

The truck’s engine started, and I felt the rumble of movement. I sighed, and started to relax. I was safe for now, and my body was swept with the exhaustion of relief. I drifted off to sleep, but it seems my sub-conscious had other plans.

I was surrounded by a penetrating blackness… a black wall that hid everything from a person’s sight.  I wanted to leave, but I couldn’t move.  Something transfixed me, keeping me from moving from this world of darkness.

Then, someone showed up, but I couldn’t see much.  Only a faint outline of what looked human.  He seemed to be staring at me, just observing me.  I then heard a voice, but I couldn’t tell if it was this hard to see figure before me, or something else.

“So you succeeded… feeling confident, are we?  Well, guess what… you didn’t do squat.”  The voice seemed to be mocking me, a mixture of rage and amusement.  Fear filled my heart with every sentence I heard.

“I… did… EVERYTHING!!!” The figure’s eyes appeared, and glowed red. He then moved back for a punch. I woke up in a cold sweat, a mere second before the punch connected…

What the hell was that?

Very good PC. I like reading it. Kida James Bondish.

And PC, VE… do behave or you two will be put into the Happy Fun Chamber.

Now, THAT was an interesting cliffhanger- what can his dream mean? Could it be there are two personalities inside him? Well handled, PC!

You know, I have been wondering about one thing: did the people that experimented on him know about his skills? That sounds likely, but if so, why did they underestimate him so? If I had James Bond captive, I sure wouldn’t treat like a common captive, I’ve had him under constant surveillance!

But, I suppose that’ll be answered as the story unfolds. Keep going, PC!

Crap… that is a very good point Wil…

I have plans for the future, and am now pondering several explanations… I will have to work that in, though…

Thanks for the catch, WM.

Meh, I’m sure nobody would notice if Wil hadn’t pointed it out. :hahaha;

Nicely doen, as usual. :cool:

Yep, its another chapter… shorter this time, and mostly to advance things.

Enjoy it… Please?

-Chapter Seven: Pieces-

I breathed heavily, a feeling of panic coming over me, similar to the panic I felt when I emerged from that capsule.  I didn’t understand… why would I be so scared?  I managed to escape from a heavily guarded building, and only felt urgency.  Why would I be afraid of something like my own dreams?

It was then that the two drivers of the truck started talking again… I moved closer, and listened in again.

“Thought you were tired, Henry… but its been three hours and you haven’t snoozed yet.  What’s up?”

“Sorry, Carl.  Thought I was going to be alone again, so I really overdid the coffee.”

“Heh… really strong stuff they serve us, eh?” I heard a buzz of static, and went to check the radio I borrowed from the company… but the batteries were dead… it must have been the truck’s system.

“Control, this is 14-PWT.  Performing scheduled check-in.  We have no problems, over.”

“We hear you, 14-PWT.  We are reporting status change in previous alert status… escapee has been killed, over.  Body found crushed by elevator on top floor.  Everything returning to green, proceeding with information wipe.  Over and out.”

A look of shock and confusion appeared on my face.  That wasn’t me, it was the guard I got out of my way, via an elevator shaft!  Even if the body was crushed beyond all recognition, wouldn’t the uniform at least tell them something?  .  And what exactly was an information wipe?  This stank… this really, really stank

Anyway, I took this piece of information as a warning to get the hell out of here.  The two drivers stated they weren’t stopping until they reached their destination, and I doubt they would be accepting of a walking, talking dead man.  Time to disembark this death train.

I crawled my way to the back of the truck, to avoid attracting any un-due attention from the two up front.  It seemed the door to the semi was similar to a garage door… opened by lifting and pushing down, and locked on the outside.  Fortunately, they didn’t think to lock anybody inside, so all I had to do was move a bolt, slide my fingers under, and lift with the effort of a weight lifter.  I immediately fell out, due to the velocity of the truck, and practically skidded across the asphalt.

Fortunately, my hands and knees took most of the impact, and I managed to get up with some effort, though not looking any better.  My hands were rather bloody, cut by the irregularities in the road, and my knees were scrapped even worse, as the whole world could see through the new kneeholes in my green outfit.

Despite my injuries, and the fact it was late at night, there was only one thing I could do.

I picked a direction, and just walked.

GG: I disagree, I think others might be wondering that too. But no biggie, I’m sure PC will find an easy explanation.

PC: Very nice twist with the “information wipe” thing! Looks like the bad guys don’t want to admit that they lost one of their experiments… I wonder what their next move will be.

PS: And we’re certainly enjoying it. :cool:

Glad you two are enjoying it… I am still skeptical of my talents, but I hope I do improve… especially considering how many twists I have planned.

But, I am curious WM… you said we… is there someone else sharing a computer and reading this as well?

Just curious.

PC: No, I don’t share my PC with anybody (except my niece, but she doesn’t visit RPGC) I meant the people who have been reading your story. At least, that’s the impression I get so far.

And when are you going to stop doubting your talents? Take my word for it, PC (and I’ve been reading fics for a looooong time) this is story is better than the average. Trust me.

Whew… been a while before I updated. Sorry, I was busy at work. VERY busy. Anway, the next chapter:

-Chapter Eight: Journey-

I have no idea how long I walked down the road. It felt like my whole life was lived on that stretch of asphalt, wandering to some unknown location through this highway in the barren desert. The pain in my legs and hands was slowly becoming a dull throb, but still noticeable with every step I took. My mind wandered as well during those many steps, asking me several different questions: Who am I? What am I? How did I manage to escape? Where did I learn to escape? What was with that dream?

Such thoughts were soon interrupted by a rather unusual sight, accompanied by a lot of cussing.  It seems I was not the only one held prisoner by this desolate road.  Looked like some traveler, a hunter by the looks of his orange hat and vest, was having a little car trouble.  He kicked the tires of his pick-up quite harshly, muttering about shitty gas tanks, and damned asses that would probably loot his truck if he left it for even a second.  I approached, thinking I could offer to help in exchange for a ride.

“Hey, looks like you had a little trouble… maybe I could help you out?”  I exclaimed, sounding friendly as I could.

The hunter looked at me, his eyes narrowing a bit.  I guess blood and torn clothes didn’t meet his fashion sense.  “Looks like you need the help more, buddy.  Hell, unless you have gas hidden somewhere in that green mess you call clothes, I think you better move on.”

Oh brother… this guy was obviously an ass himself.  I decided to settle for information then.  “Well, I am afraid I am all out of gas, but maybe you could give some info.  I am new to the area, and have no clue how far I have to walk to get to the nearest town.”

The hunter eyed me suspiciously.  “Hell… the only town nearby is Glenwood, about thirty miles down the road.  And considering that is the CLOSEST town, the next one over a hundred miles away…  Just where the hell are you from?”

I started to tell him the truth, and then froze before the first words hit my lips.  Did I really want to tell him?  I didn’t know him, and I had no idea what he would do… and, even if he did believe me, I doubted he would even consider helping me.  Such thoughts were quickly interrupted by a quick blow to my jaw.

”Heh… I know what you are, now.  Your some kind of escaped con, aren’t you?  I bet there’s a good reward for your return.”  The hunter turned around to enter his truck, his hands moving to his rifle.  I quickly grabbed him by his collar, and yanked him backwards, knocking him down on the asphalt.  I prepared for retaliation, but none came from the senseless hunter.  I guessed he only acted tough.

There was not much in the truck worth taking, except for an extra T-shirt and some worn jeans.  I quickly changed into them, more then glad to wear something more inconspicuous.  His wallet only had about $50 and a license.  I grabbed the cash, and dumped the rest.  Unfortunately, he was right about being out of gas, but there was something in the back of the truck that made my whole day seem brighter.

It was a four-wheeled ATV, with the keys still in the ignition.  I wondered for a moment why he didn’t take that to the nearest town, but quickly dismissed it to his fear of leaving his truck alone and unguarded.   With no other thoughts, I opened the back of his truck with borrowed keys, and moved my new ride to ground level.  I thought about taking the rifle, but then decided it was too bulky to carry around.  

With no further thoughts, I turned on the gas and drove on.

Mmm, nothing major this episode, but it moved the story along. It was logical for the hunter to assume our hero was an escaped convict, but not too smart to assume he would get a reward for getting him. Oh well, you needed a reason to knock him out.

Questions: Why do hunters use orange clothes? (Obviously, I know zip about hunting.) Also, if he had any brains, he could’ve thought about draining the gas from his ATV into his pick-up. Maybe he just didn’t have a hose?

Whatever, it was OK. Now our hero is in a better position to move and act, so I expect more story action next time! :cool:

Hmm… I wasn’t aware that you could drain from other vehicles like that, especially considering the horizontal position the nozzle is located on.

But, you are right… I expected to do more, but I was actually very tired when I wrote this. I just needed more meat.

PS: The orange is there to help them stand out, and to avoid getting shot by other hunters.

EDIT: Yep, VERY tired. I just fixed that first paragraph.