YES! It looks like a no!

Well, then there’s the fact that the US didn’t really have one universal monetary unit until post-Lincoln time, I think. They sure as hell didn’t have it Revolutionary/Articles of Confederation time. Each state had its own money, and on top of that, banks could print their own scrip. The Constitution changed that somewhat in 1789 by giving the federal government the power to coin money, but then we still didn’t have one nationwide currency. I don’t remember, but the bank thing under Jackson might have changed that temporarily. However, the bank eventually expired, and we went back to no national currency. I know for sure we had a national currency by the 1890s because of the bimetalism movement, but I think it was established in the 1870s. Someone with a better background in history, possibly X, could clear that up.

Or Zepp could. Thanks Zepp.

Well, once the market stabilises, the Euro will probably bring mayor advantages. Once the Euro countries has gotten out of their initial shaky stages, it’ll mean much profit gained for them. Sure, right now prices may have doubled - But in three-four years they’ll be down to next-to-normal levels again, and that’s when we’ll probably see the advantages to Euro.

It’s a shame that now Sweden won’t be able to share that… =(

Oh well. One less headache to worry about.

I bet we’ll go Yes next time, which is supposedly going to be in four or five years. Unless the Euro countries still have those problems then.

We actually had a “debate” about the result in English class today. My side (“the result was a good thing!”) won simply because I was the only one who could translate any complex arguments. =P

Of course the Swedes voted no, what sane Swede would like to use the Euro: A currency on which Sweden looks like a penis. That’s a good reason for Norway to join the Europen Union, to stop Sweden and Finland from looking like a penis.

Do you mean one of those jokes from the days when you Swedes were silly enough to drive on the left side of the road, instead of the right?

Yeah, the one that goes:

A Swede/Norweigian/whatever is driving in England. On the radio they start screaming about a madman driving on the wrong side of a main road. The man looks outside and mutters:
“ONE madman? EVERYBODY is on the wrong side dammit!”

Yay…for now.

You’ll have to wait and see in 2005, I guess, when Person calls for the vote [“This Time It Counts!” AAH! Damn you, FOX, and your asinine taglines!] amongst the government types.
I 'member cuz Person’s comment on that used to be my sig. :smiley:

He appears quite sour on the news right now anyway, our Person…

Man, atleast we won’t be having any more “YES/NO TO EURO!!!1!11!!11” campaign stuff out in the streets.

I swear, one more week of those and I’d have gathered a few friends, collected a whole lot of those, gone to the Sergel Plaza here in Stockholm and have a great fire while dancing around it and singing the spam song…:get it?:

Hee Hee Hee.

Yes, nothing seems to annoy leading political officials quite like the common people not voting the way they’re “supposed” to. :smiley:

Originally posted by Wertigon
[b]Man, atleast we won’t be having any more “YES/NO TO EURO!!!1!11!!11” campaign stuff out in the streets…

I swear, one more week of those and I’d have gathered a few friends, collected a whole lot of those, gone to the Sergel Plaza here in Stockholm and have a great fire while dancing around it and singing the spam song…:get it?: [/b]

Amen. When I was in the info booth this summer there were a few campaigns going on. One involved a “debate”; two politicians talking to each other in the same kind of voices for 40 minutes, presenting themselves every tenth minute in case anybody had missed it… me and my comrade in arms had not, though we wished we had after a while :stuck_out_tongue:

I truly don’t really get why the hell they can’t just leave our currencies, the same. They worked fine, for how ever long they have been around, haven’t they?

And Weilla, nice Driving joke, at least you guys got a say in the matter. If Blair does sell us out, he is not only Bush’s bitch, but the EU’s too.