Yep, they got Saddam

“We got him.” - Paul Bremer, leader of the Iraq iterim government, on Cnn.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/14/sprj.irq.main/index.html

It’s a big symbolic step, and hopefully will really boost the morale of both the American people and the Iraqi people to finish the reconstruction of Iraq.

I’ll put more links here once the news sites put them up.

Here it is:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/14/sprj.irq.main/index.html

They have pictures of him. He had 750, 000 bucks with him o_O Some of the Iraqi reporters at the conference went nuts and started shouting ‘Death to Saddam!!’.

Well, that’s at least one thing accomplished.

But who wants to bet Bush will be milking this for all it’s worth during his re-election campaign?

“George W. Bush, the president who FINALLY ended the rule of Saddam Hussein, one of the biggest threats to world peace (next to Bush himself, that is)”

Yeah. Howard’s Dean job may have just got a lot harder.

Even though some may disagree with most of Bush’s policies, I think we can all agree we need to stay in Iraq until things are under control and the Iraqis quality of life has significantly improved, and that this is a big step towards that. I don’t know how this’ll effect the insurgency, but hopefully(and so far it seems like this will prove true) it’ll improve the morale of the Iraqi people, and make them more receptive to us.

Yeah, now all Bush has to do is catch Osama bin Laden and find Hussein’s nonexistent weapons of mass destruction. It will be good if this event causes a slack in the attacks against our troops, but the problem with that is that most of the insurgents have no connection to Hussein. If we were getting out of there soon, it would probably work to our advantage, but the plan seems to be to stay there for half a decade at least.

Well, even if the insurgency continues, the effect of us pulling out before a secure, democratic government is in place, will be much worse than what we will have to sustain to attain that(and it could very likely take a long time). And, in order to attain that, we need the Iraqi people to have faith that we will attain that and to support our efforts to attain it, and I think that capturing Saddam goes a long way towards convincing the Iraqi people of those things. Of course, I know you’re of the opinion that we can’t reconstruct Iraq the way the Bush administration wants to, at least according to the mindset we’re in right now and the methods we’re using, and the sooner we pull out, the better.

Seeing Hussein’s trial will probably make almost all Iraqis happy that he’s no longer a threat, but it won’t necessarily make them like us. A “stable democracy” in Iraq isn’t guaranteed to be friendly to us; all popular uprisings in the Middle East in recent history brought people unfriendly to us to power. What will be more likely is that we’ll declare “Mission Accomplished” and tout the convicted embezzler Chalabi or some other guy as the embodiment of democracy. Then, if he’s a strong man, we’ll have something like Uzbekistan, where we excuse Karimov’s faults as long as he’s cooperative, or the Balkans, where the KLA is bullying Serbs around now instead of the other way around. If he’s a weak man, we’ll have something like Afghanistan, where the radius of democracy ends right outside Kabul.

Since I only have a minute now, I’ll keep this brief and expound on it later…

Gotcha, sucker! You can’t hide from the U S of A forever.

And I won’t comment on what the Democrats have been “milking”, and how much, in THEIR campaigns…

Well, that took long…

I don’t care.
It was only what was expected of the US, and there’s a lot more.
Hm, why don’t they ask himj where he put those weapons of mass destruction?

It took them a long time, but they finally have him.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
Yeah, now all Bush has to do is catch Osama bin Laden and find Hussein’s nonexistent weapons of mass destruction.

Well I just figured that the reason that we were starting to make more nukes was to just plant some on Saddam and say “Oh, look, see? He had them all the time!”

Originally posted by X_countryguy
Well I just figured that the reason that we were starting to make more nukes was to just plant some on Saddam and say “Oh, look, see? He had them all the time!”

THat is the bst quote ever,… EVER

Curtis is right that this will draw attention away from Bush’ failures, but there are plenty of problems that people can be reminded of as SK showed, which could put Bush in a pickle. Going in Iraq and getting Saddam was neat, but that doesn’t change the reasons and methods used to get into Iraq in the first place.

Originally posted by Sinistral
Curtis is right that this will draw attention away from Bush’ failures, but there are plenty of problems that people can be reminded of as SK showed, which could put Bush in a pickle. Going in Iraq and getting Saddam was neat, but that doesn’t change the reasons and methods used to get into Iraq in the first place.

For sure, Bush’s popularity will rise. But until; he captures Bin Laden his whole “crusade” won’t be justified in the eyes of Americans

…I find it amazing how the capture of Saddam Hussein turns into a “Bush sucks” thread.

Anyways, just something I found funny about all this:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Looks good, doesn’t he? Found hiding in a hole and looking like that. Makes me laugh. :hahaha;

Good job for them.

I heard the news as soon as I woke up this morning.

Scrathes Sadam off his “People to find because nobody else will” list

On the political side, I couldn’t stop laughing at the skit on SNL last night. “Gore” made “Dean” and the rest of the Democrats look like assholes :hahaha; . They were pretty damn accurate too.

And if history is to repeat itself: As soon as he has been reindoctrinated, he will be reinstated. It has happened before.

Though, most likely he’ll be handed to Haag. Unless the Americans do something outrageous like having a public execution.

It will take the focus away from George W. Bush’s mistakes, at least in America. But unless the situation in Iraq improves, the effect of capturing Saddam Hussein will turn against Bush. Proving that the problem is much more complex than Saddam Hussein and a couple of loyalist still hanging around and causing trouble.

Originally posted by OmegaflareX
It took them a long time, but they finally have him.
No kidding. When did we start going after him? 13 years ago?