Xbox360 and how i'm tempted to go for it...

Yeah I know… it doesn’t feel right… feels dirty (not in the good sense) to think of getting an Xbox360 (to me at least). I see games like Gears of War, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5, Halo 3, Blue Dragon and Xbox Live Arcade… and that kind of software actually appeals to me. Especially Lost Planet which looks like its gonna be one of the better action titles to come out in 2007. Of course my primary choice for consoles is the Wii… I’m gonna go stand in line for sure! … but as a second choice i’m not sure if i’ll be fully satisfied with the Xbox360. To me, right now, it feels like a temporary fix until I can get to the games I actually want on the PS3… Can the Xbox360 really be a good investment in the long haul? I don’t think anybody could tell me that… In any case my original plan is to buy the Wii in November and then wait till Christmas 2007 to go for the PS3 along with Metal Gear Solid 4 and possibly Devil May Cry 4. Despite this plan I still feel like buying an Xbox360… would it really be worth it this time around to have all three consoles?

Is anyone in here an Xbox360 owner or aspires to be one?

Trusty Bell and Lost Odyssey look great. Like you, I’m getting a Wii at launch, and putting off a second console for at least a year.

My reasoning being that after a year the 360 and PS3 should be a bit more clear on what they’ll shape up to be, and you’re not dealing with the first-generations PS3s. I don’t really know wether it’d be worth it to get all consoles this time around, since I expect third parties to spread themselves out over multiple consoles a lot more. The costs of developing games has now risen so high, I’d be surprised if anything but certain flagship titles would stick with exclusives.

Also, in an amusing quote from S-E:

Square Enix senior VP Michihiro Sasaki told the Wall Street Journal today that his company is certainly going to support the PS3, but it isn’t going to overdo it. “We don’t want the PlayStation 3 to be the overwhelming loser, so we want to support them,” he said. “But we don’t want them to be the overwhelming winner either, so we can’t support them too much.”

Honestly, XBox360 sounds like the best system to me out of all of them right now. All these games I’m interested in ALREADY.

Enchanted Arms
Dead Rising
Resident Evil 5
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Culdcept Saga
Halo 3
Phantasy Star Universe (though admittedly, I’ll probly get this on PS2)

Add to that all the cool shit I can find on XBox Live Arcade, and I think I’m pretty much set for life. The point is, XBox360 is looking to have the best lineup out of all of them for now.

I’m really phsyched about there being a sequel made of Culdcept that’s going to be on the system. Although I think the chances of it coming to the U.S. slim.

That’s a damned fine line-up. The only thing the PS3 has is a new MGS. The Wii has, um, you know, a whole bunch of the same nintendo games that were made the best on the SNES remade for more money with less awesomeness. 360’s winning for me, right now.

wow i’m glad to see i’m not the only one that thinks the same haha! … If I go ahead and get a 360 it’ll probably be in January around the same time Lost Planet comes out :smiley:

And yeah Lost Odyssey looks like it’s gonna be kickass!

Enchanted Arms
Dead Rising
Resident Evil 5
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Culdcept Saga
Halo 3
Phantasy Star Universe
This is actually a pretty pathetic lineup. At least, it’s not a $400 USD lineup. Not even close.

IMO there is only one reason to get a 360 and it hasn’t been listed yet: N3: Ninety-Nine Nights. It wasn’t very hard when I played it, but the thrill of getting 2000 hit combos while flying around like Himura Kenshin is exactly what I’ve been waiting for. It just needs to be harder.

NHL 2007 is great too, but it’s not exclusively 360.

Enchanted Arms is absolutely primitive. It’s not up to the standards you’d expect from the 360’s hardware, so don’t get your hopes up.

What I want to see is another Romance of The Three Kingdoms. That’s the one game that might make the 360 worth buying. Actually buying, with cold hard cash. Not just theory-buying because it has a kind-of-promising-but-ultimately-threadbare lineup.

I’m the kind of person who waits a year after a console is released before I get one for 2 reasons.

#1) Launch software tends to be unimpressive (especially if the system is promising superior graphics), and I tend to wait for more promising titles to come out before I make a decsion about getting a system.

#2) By that time the system’s price will have dropped by then as well. (there are a few execptions to this, but that only serve to discourage me from buying it) And in the meanwhile, I tend to tide myself over with quality games that appear at the end of a console’s life.

While I would normally wait to pass judgement on any system. If I had to put my money somewhere it would be on the Wii, and I may follow up with a PS3, but who knows.(“The Shadow Knows” dun dun da):mwahaha:

Well it’s a good thing I’m not buying it for you, lol!

By all means, buy it for me! Just don’t buy it with my money, lmao.

May I buy one with your money for myself?! :D!!!

I like how Microsoft is appealing to a broader audience with the 360 this time around. The Xbox had Sports, FPS’s and Racing (and any mulit platform games, but that doesnt count) and that’s about it. This time they got plenty of cool games that honestly, make me shed a tear taht they’re not for GC or PS2. I’d go as far as saying it is the second console I would buy before the PS3 (Wii being the first) Sony shot themselves in the foot this time around. They became drunk off their own success, thinking anyone would pay anything for their console just cos it has Playstation on the box.

What are you talking about? Last I checked, the PS3 isn’t out yet. Did you go out and poll people on the streets to see what they’d buy, or are you just assuming that Sony isn’t competent enough to market their own consoles and that you have all the solutions?

No one is going to buy a PS3 because it says Sony on it. They’re going to buy it because it’s the superior console, whereas people will continue to buy 360s and Wiis because they are the cheaper consoles. They all appeal to different audiences and different budgets.

The PS3 is high-performance. Given the choice between a 360 and a PS3 for the same price, I would take the PS3 without a second thought. Of course it would be stupid to do that without taking a long, hard gander at their titles, but if you did you’d see that all three consoles in this race have a VERY broad mix from every genre, and you can pretty much get away with buying any of them no matter what you like to play.

Am I the only person here who doesn’t WANT a Wii? The only game out of the entire launch that isn’t on any other console AND I want to play is Twilight Princess. Not to mention how the most promoted aspects are the motion sensor (which won’t help me much, since I can’t hold a controller steady), and the Virtual Console (which costs additonal funds for the download and the flash cards to store them on).

Of the remaining two systems, I would love to have a PS3, but I will never be rich enough to afford one, and the only interesting game so far is FFXIII. I’m still working towards getting a 360, but I’m going to wait until the next version comes out (it’s supposed to fix the overheating issues with the current version and Dead Rising).

Let’s see, Sony recently ran an ad campaign where they outright insulted hardcore gamers, which will be their main audience around their launch, due to the current outrageous price and the fact that the 360 is better suited to the Madden crowd (Hey, Madden, 200 bucks less, get). To top it off, they’re completely fucking over Europe and won’t launch here in time for the christmas season, which is a huge advantage for the 360 and the Wii.

People will buy the PS3 for three reasons: Brand recognition, console exclusives amd BLU-RAY. Sony is banking very heavily on brand recognition for the PS3, considering the fact that, as one person put it, they’ve been delivering NOTHING but bad news for months, and are more concerned with hitting up the crowd that wants a cheap BLU-RAY player than they are with making the PS3 a succesful game console. In addition to that, there’s only been a handful of console exclusive series announced, of which three major ones (Capcom/DMC4, S-E/FFXIII, Konami/MGS4) have expressed an interest in developing for the other consoles as well.

That’s really the major problem. Sony would get infinitely less crap if it was in the same pricerange as the 360, since that puts it into the homes of a lot more people. I’m not just talking about the hardware itself, but the possible $100 games as well.

I’d get a PS3 as well if it cost just as much, since if it did I’d expect far less of a third party abandonment than I’m doing now.

This is pretty much true.