Xbox Gamer found

And your definition is wrong. Addiction is defined usually as something like a chronic relapsing condition characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and abuse and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain

Addiction is defined mostly as a physical or psychological dependance or compulsion. Perhaps in a strictly medical sense, and referring only to physical addiction, you’re correct, but people can have psychological dependancies usually classified within the scope of an addictive personality, as well.

That is true and there appears to be a genetic component to that implying a biological neurotransmitter-level link. The key word to what you are saying is “compulsion”. Doing something out of habit is different from doing something out of compulsion.

I’ve actually given a lot of serious thought as to what it indicates about our culture that girls think the answer to high social status is to post trashy pictures on facebook. I still can’t figure it out.

re the topic of the thread.

I don’t blame the parents or the videogame. I blame the kid’s genetics. the more I learn, the more I think that 90% of what happens to us in life is simple genetics.

Further contributing to the interest of bad parenting: CoD4 is rated M, which is for mature hardcore gamers as this lost fellow. No wonder he blew such a gasket. Hell, I’ll admit I had to ask for another person to get me GTA3 back in 2001 because I didn’t have the age, but taking the game away from me wouldn’t have been a reason to simply vanish.

I guess my folks had enough … trust, or whatever the proper term for it would be, that I’m suitable for such material.

Nothing worse than what made the site to choose the sensational title girl fired over penis graffiti when the owners were members of the anti-defamation league and objected to her drawing swastikas.

Maybe she was saying he was a Finnish knight, but before 1963?

Hinduist Wrongly Fired

In my mind I’d say it was a parenting problem. If the parents got this game for their kid they were likely bribing him into getting better grades or something. If not, they still allowed their kid to play it without checking the rating.

I don’t know if they had a system of punishment. Maybe they did unplug the game system first, or maybe they did take the disc away and then ultimately had to take the xbox away.

An escalation of this situation to the point where the father had to physically do something was inevitable. If they decided the kid was addicted to it, it was likely because they caught him spending unreasonable amounts of time playing.

I think if the family communicated with each other the kid wouldn’t have felt like he had to leave his home to find someone that would understand his love of this game. Plus, he’s fifteen. That’s much too old to be running away from home to prove a point. It sounds too much like an eight year old who wants to run away to join the circus because his parents made him eat his vegetables.

To tell you the truth, I think someone should look into the link between drug use and video games. I didn’t do drugs until I got real hooked on Team Fortress Classic, then dropped it for a social life.