X-ray vision?!

Now this is definately…interesting.

Superman’s kid!
:eek:

The reason that article is bull shit is that we see because light hits our retinas and a variety of biochemical reactions occur that lead to a nerve impulse going into our brain. X ray vision would require her eyes to shoot out high energy rays (and expend energy doing it, not to mention maybe her eyes should heat up after continual use) and then her being able to receive some form of feedback and the her biology be able to interpret what she’s saying. In other words, euhm no. The article also shows no support for her claim.

I also think its somewhat suspicious. Every once in awhile I hear strange science stories coming out of Russia that seem serious enough until you never here anything more about them. For instance, a few years ago I recalled reading a seemingly serious article that Russian scientists had developed A.I. in a remote part of Siberia. Yet, to this day I never heard of it again.

To add to this, here’s another article from the same magazine in which a Russian scientist claims that it was logically possible for Moses to part the Red Sea:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_858010.html

I’ve heard about the Red Sea thing before on some history channel that was trying to scientifically explain all the miracles in the bible.

From what I’ve heard, most historians think that Moses and the Hebrews actually crossed the Reeds Sea on boats, which is a much smaller body of water near the Red Sea, and that the translation between the two was messed up sometime over the hundreds of years from the time that the Torah was first written to the King James version of the Bible. Of course, there’s no historical proof besides the Bible that Moses himself even existed.

Why don’t articles about really bizzarre stuff ever have details? Considering what X-rays are and X-ray photography works, I doubt that the girl has “X-ray vision”, but I am willing to believe there is a possibility that she has some sense that allows her to perceive things beyond normal human capability. Of course, without sufficient evidence, there’s no reason to believe that this is true.

I don’t know. Probably because there isn’t sufficient evidence. To my knowledge this hasn’t been picked up by any of the major news sources because, for whatever reason, after investigating it they didn’t think it was credible. And its been news for about a month now.

This is a good time to take note of how much vodka Russians drink.

Like Curtis pointed out…that web site isn’t exactly the best source of news…here’s an example:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_855852.html?menu=news.scienceanddiscovery.inventions

Like Star Magazine, they don’t believe things they publish, but the people who give them their stories do. They only publish them because it sells, and, hell, everyone has to make a living.

Which reminds me, I saw Elvis the other day.

I hate stuff like that. Take this for instance:

<a href=“http://www.rpgclassics.com/staff/rptrian/marsface.gif”>The mars “face” theory</a>.

ONE little image from Mars Explorer, and people are all in an uproar. Honestly, I don’t see how they see a face in that one…

This is why the Russians are so damned cool.:hahaha;

And RPT, all I see is a badly Painted image. No face though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aliens, Pierson! Aliens!

Originally posted by Curtis
From what I’ve heard, most historians think that Moses and the Hebrews actually crossed the Reeds Sea on boats, which is a much smaller body of water near the Red Sea, and that the translation between the two was messed up sometime over the hundreds of years from the time that the Torah was first written to the King James version of the Bible. Of course, there’s no historical proof besides the Bible that Moses himself even existed.
It’s called the Sea of Reeds, and it’s nowhere NEAR the Red Sea. And it’s still a massive river and Moses couldn’t have just pulled boats out of his ass. They were Egyptian slaves, not kings.

This is, of course, assuming the story is true, as you said.

They said she could talk by age six, she is a very bright young girl. Perhaps she has read up on anatomy and physiology. Give her a human with say, a lung missing, and then see if she is bullshitting or not. =p

That’d do it!

Or maybe she took one look in an anatomy book and her brain is miswired in such a way that whenever she looks at a human body she has an instant recognition of the location of all the organs which the brain translates by showing her pictures of the organs.

The brain is a very fickle thing.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
They said she could talk by age six, she is a very bright young girl. Perhaps she has read up on anatomy and physiology. Give her a human with say, a lung missing, and then see if she is bullshitting or not. =p

Or ask any half brained teenager or 20 year old how vision works and what x-rays are and how they aren’t related.

Even if she were that smart, which we have no proof she is, the xray vision and intelligence aren’t related either.

Heck, even Superman doesn’t really have X-Ray vision.

No, he doesn’t.

You see, Superman’s powers are PSIONIC in nature.

What the hell am I talking about?

You see, back in ‘85, when they rebooted DC comics’ continuity (the whole “Crisis” deal) the new Superman writer (John Byrne, better known for drawing the best X-Men comics ever- and for being one of the most temperamental people in the comics biz) decided that Supes’ powers needed a better explanation, so he decided they were psionic. For example, when he lifts something, he’s actually using Telekinesis (actually, this makes sense, it explains why buildings and such don’t just crumble under their own weight when Supes lifts them); Supes’ invulnerability is actually a skin-tigth force-field; his heat-vision is actually Pyrokinesis; etc. I don’t remember the explanation for X-Ray vision, but it could be Clairvoyance…

I never much liked these explanations. First of all, where they REALLY needed? Other than things such as the building-lifting, can’t we just assume that’s how he is? (He’s an alien, after all.) Besides, isn’t it odd he has such limitations on psi-powers? (usually, Psis are assumed to have long range with all their powers.) Finally, it IS kinda redundant to explain pseudoscientific powers with more pseudo-science.

Thing as, far as I know, those stories are still “cannon” so unless somebody else writes them off, the Superman you see in the comics IS a Psionic.

Btw, people have actually written books (Such as “The Science of the X-Men”) that try to explain how super-powers could work.
Nice read, but I don’t believe it for a second.

Until they perfect genetic engineering, anyway… :eek:

Originally posted by Curtis
For instance, a few years ago I recalled reading a seemingly serious article that Russian scientists had developed A.I. in a remote part of Siberia. Yet, to this day I never heard of it again.

That’s because it’s grown, and taken over all the Siberians, making people believe it wasn’t true. Today the Siberians, tommorrow the WORLD!