Wunderbar... ><

http://www.dotmusic.com/news/May2003/news29452.asp

Yay for Eddie! My Real American Traitor!!!

: Mr. Singing Smilie sings ‘Once it was the land of the freeee. Once it was the land of free speech. Once it was where people fled; from tyrants and supression. Now it’s from where people should flee from Anti-Americaniiiiiism’, and is labeled traitor even though he isn’t an American.

my post at this thread would be a non-song version of nulani’s. there.

Oh, yeah. I learned this from www.alternativetentacles.com , in case you were curious- but I thought that it would be better to link to the actual article.

Originally posted by Rountree
Oh, yeah. I learned this from www.alternativetentacles.com , in case you were curious- but I thought that it would be better to link to the actual article.

You couldn’t resists sneaking that in, could you?

you guys really shouldn’t care about fringe crap like this.

Originally posted by Nulani
You couldn’t resists sneaking that in, could you?

obviously not.

Originally posted by Merlin
you guys really shouldn’t care about fringe crap like this.

You’re asking us not to care about America slowly turning on itself?: Away from it’s ideals, away from it’s dream, and away from America? This is not the only, and probably not the worst, example of this - but it is one, among what seems to be an growing number. It’s my opinion that America, then I mean the USA, is turning into the one monster that can destroy it - at the very least it’s soul, and what made it into what it is.

How is this turning away from America’s ideals? It’s excercizing freedom of speech, even if that speech is, well, not tasteful to more sensible folks. perhaps the 1st amendment is better though of as a “neccessary evil”; we have to hear noise like this to ensure the signal gets through.

That’s the sad truth. Freedom of Speech isn’t the protection of what you like; it’s the protection of what you hate. Some people haven’t realized this yet. I blame the media; they make everyone against “Freedom of Speech” by branding people as rascists, sexists, and traitors.

No don’t get me wrong here, I’m all for free speech. I just think you should think before you speak. That one girl from the Dixie Chicks said something like “I’m embarrassed to come from the same state as bush” These girls are country music singers and they wonder why their record sales went down. I bet all those rednecks were pissed.:slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s kind of a no-brainer. Avril Lavange and Eminem, that’s one thing, but Country, that’s another.

Actually, I think…well, I can’t remember the band names, but apparently similar things have happened at multiple rock concerts, where the lead singer says something along the lines of “Fuck Bush” and the crowd reacts majorly negatively. Ironic…

From what I remember, the Dixie Chicks issued an apology or something to counteract the negative effects of one of them saying that. At least she had the balls (uhh, or lack of balls :P) to say it. Ultimately, I doubt they’re hurting from it. I’m sure they already have more money than they know what to do with.

As for that ‘probush’ website… -_- That’s pretty sad.

MegamanX2K: I wouldn’t call the Dixie Chicks country, they are more pop than country. :stuck_out_tongue:

no, they’ve created a new kind of music known as “pop-country”…

Originally posted by Lord Zhou Yu
no, they’ve created a new kind of music known as “pop-country”…

1. How is pop-country new?
  2. Pop is pop is fracking pop.

1. because i don’t listen to music much, and henceforth have not heard this kind of music.

2. yes. yes it is.

Actually, Nulani… we kinda went through this before, with the communists.

MacArthur went on a witch hunt for communists, and several actors got labelled as traitors.

Still, it seems sad that we need such prominent “bad-guys” to blame all the freaking time.

Originally posted by Nulani
You’re asking us not to care about America slowly turning on itself?: Away from it’s ideals, away from it’s dream, and away from America? This is not the only, and probably not the worst, example of this - but it is one, among what seems to be an growing number. It’s my opinion that America, then I mean the USA, is turning into the one monster that can destroy it - at the very least it’s soul, and what made it into what it is.

“The Right” has been calling some of these pop stars immoral for years, and will use or do anything to put them in a negative limelight. The Right Media has been anti-Madonna for almost two decades. As Merl said, and couldn’t have said it any better, that article is simply fringe crap that doesn’t carry much weight. People who read the tabloids and watch soaps all day, or the kids who read the AOL welcome screen, are the only ones who waste their time worrying about stuff like that. They don’t know any better because they have way too much time on their hands.

The right has every right to call whoever they want traitors; this is an example of freedom of speech. I didn’t hear about any of the allegations in that article (except Dixie Chicks), and nobody i know gives a rats ass about Madonna, Vedder or Durst. Again, people had the right to speak out against the war, and people had the right to criticize them for doing so. And most of the working population doesn’t worry about the propaganda either side is spewing. I don’t feel the Media portrays our citizens very well. Most people don’t pay much attention to what the media tells us we’re supposed to be doing and thinking about.

You say the USA is turning on itself; I’m not sure what you’re basing your opinion on, but I’ll guess it’s things you read on the web. “Traitor” stories are making the news because patriotism has been extremely high since the 9/11 attacks. There’s more US flags flying now then there has been since World War 2. Marketers have been taking strides to play off patriotism to sell product…it’s everywhere.

It’s cyclical, though. In the late 60’s early 70’s during the Vietnam War, there were riots, deaths, thousands upon thousands of arrests, public flag burning…all kinds of problems, because our kids were being drafted and shipped off to die in a war we weren’t committed to winning. Nixon and the watergate scandal didn’t help things much either. I think it goes without saying, the soul of the US is 10 times stronger and healthier than it was 30 years ago.