World of Warcraft Alpha Leak

Well, it finally happened. Someone leaked out the Alpha of WoW and now the hacker community is tweaking it for public use. Don’t believe me? Check here and here for information.

More interestingly, you can find some video of the title and character selection screens at this site.

Anyways, if a playable Alpha version does come out I urge all of you NOT to play it. Blizzard has given us all way too many hours of entertainment for us to just “steal” one of their new games before it’s even ready yet. I for one, am boycotting the leaked Alpha.

It’s been in development for this long and it’s only an alpha?

Originally posted by Sorcerer
It’s been in development for this long and it’s only an alpha?

Middle Earth Online has been in devolpment since 99 and they are just now giving screenshots and shit heh.

It’s not beta until most of the game is done. That is, they just need to iron out the bugs. Though it’s a flexible term ultimately.

And this is bad. First HL2, now this. sigh don’t these hackers have a goddamned LIFE?

Seems like a lot of big name games are getting their Alpha’s leeked.

Originally posted by IonMage

And this is bad. First HL2, now this. sigh don’t these hackers have a goddamned LIFE?

Depends on your definition of a life. They are living yes, but they probably don’t go out much, seeing as how they are hackers… but you never know.

Heh, wow, another game my computer can’t run. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmmm… the first I can think of was the jedi academy prerelease leak, though that wasnt a beta I believe… then came master of orion 3 (it WAS big name for us TBSers, before it was released), then HL2, now this. Definately a trend. Something must be done.

The full version of Jedi Academy was leaked like, a week before it was released. But I would have bought that game anyway, the first JK2 was just too fucking cool.

HL2 wasn’t leaked, 1/3 of the source code was stolen. It wasn’t even really released to the public, it was just stolen.

Oh man…

Stupid Hackers >:O

Sweet, more time bought for me to be able to get a good enough computer for all these games :smiley:

I’m not too sure how it works, and please give any of your own opinions as to why this might be false, but won’t a ‘leak’ be good? I mean, if it just alpha, then it is like the whole gaming community becomes a huge group, working for free, to test a game (and maybe even patch it) for blizzard.

Just a thought.

:kissy:

HL2, CZ, JA, and now WoW. Wow.

Now, really, I am so collecting this alpha. Back in old times I could play Diablo 1 and 2 for free in battlenet, but all I hear is that you gotta pay a monthly fee to play WoW when it comes out. Since I refuse to pay 10 dollars a month to play online, the playable leak will have to do. I’ll just wait untill it reaches our Lan Houses.

Lan Houses where I live have a network of pirate servers. You can play UO, RO, T4C and so many other pay-to-play ones for free. It’s a kind of reward pirates give to people for buying so many pirate discs.

I know some people are going to call me an @#$%&!¬ or worse things for this, but for me it’s like downloading MP3’s or videogame ROMs.

Didn;t the Doom3 alpha get stolen to?

If ANOTHER game is delayed, so help me god…

Originally posted by Eden99
[b]I’m not too sure how it works, and please give any of your own opinions as to why this might be false, but won’t a ‘leak’ be good? I mean, if it just alpha, then it is like the whole gaming community becomes a huge group, working for free, to test a game (and maybe even patch it) for blizzard.

Just a thought.

:kissy: [/b]

The only thing I can think of as for why it’s not all that great is if they don’t want their servers to be overloaded with people - I mean, I know they’d have to deal with that eventually, but it’s much easier to only deal with gaming glitches at a time rather than have server troubles too. Though it’s probably a lot of marketing nonsense too, like if people get an alpha they’ll just play that and not buy the real version, or non-Blizzard-affiliated people will be able to patch the game and release it for free/less money than Blizzard, and there’ll be all sorts of “versions” of the game running around (because it’ll have been released while in the alpha stages). Whatever. My computer can’t run it anyways, so I’m not gonna care too much :stuck_out_tongue:

-Mazrim Taim

Someone should crack the 3D Realms development server and steal Duke Nukem Forever, in whatever form it may be at the moment. Then maybe some whiz programmers can finally finish that game. -_-;;

Originally posted by Sorcerer

HL2 wasn’t leaked, 1/3 of the source code was stolen. It wasn’t even really released to the public, it was just stolen.

Im pretty sure it turned out that the hackers took the whole source and ended up getting a version of it running.

Maybe im wrong.

Why cant these hackers wait? Are they THAT fucking impatient?

Originally posted by Gackt
Sweet, more time bought for me to be able to get a good enough computer for all these games :smiley:

Originally posted by Jakanden
Middle Earth Online has been in devolpment since 99 and they are just now giving screenshots and shit heh.

But Middle-Earth Online spent a lot of time as a cancelled project.

And as long as it isn’t a full version, this will only become good and free advertisement. There is a reason why Microsoft doesn’t seem to care about all the leaks of Windows Longhorn Alpha.

Originally posted by Devillion
Im pretty sure it turned out that the hackers took the whole source and ended up getting a version of it running.

I’m almost 100% sure you’re incorrect; I cruise some hacker forums and I’m positive I would have heard about it - not to mention there’s no way you could possibly keep a leaked version of Half Life 2 - possibly the biggest game to ever be announced ever - a secret from anyone. It’d be all over the place, and being the game that it is, would almost definitly attract media coverage from all across the board.