Workin' on dis

The thing that I’m most excited about is expert+ mode for drums.

MY LIFESTYLE DETERMINES MY DEATHSTYLE! ;_:

What type of metal is Metallica classified as? I’ve seen them put down as thrash metal, but then I’ve heard some other bands classified as thrash metal and absolutely hated their stuff, how it sounded and whatnot. Can’t say the same about Metallica.

EARLY early Metallica (“Kill 'Em All”) is definitely thrash (I’ve also heard them referred to as speed metal, though they’re both so similar it’s hard for me to tell- Gila’d know the fine distinction). They’ve been getting more mainstream with each album- the best balance was at Master of Puppets, IMO. But yeah, up until the self-titled, I’d say they’re thrash (essentially metal with a small amount of punk influence- check out Earth AD by The Misfits for a good early example).

Are you comparing songs from the same era (say 80s thrash to 80s thrash)? Up to Master of Puppets (included) they are usually classified as thrash, but they’ve been so successful they partly defined the sound of “classic” metal, if you will. It’s true that if you compared the black album to Kreator or what have you, you probably wouldn’t be thrilled. edit: preview, dammit.

Kill 'Em All I would say is thrash metal / speed metal. It has a lot of NWOBHM elements that add to the speed metal aspect, but at the same time still has some punk atmosphere occasionally. Same goes for the second album, but the third album has a lot more progressive elements than the others.

The fourth album, And Justice For All, I might even go as far to call it light progressive thrash, emphasis on light progressive meaning it’s not full blown out progressive metal. It still retains the thrash aesthetic and feel for a lot of it as well.

Black album I would call light thrash that is border line heavy metal. With a shit load of hard rock influences. After that I don’t want to even bother.

As for finding bands that you like that are similar… well that depends. I could recommend a lot of bands that stylistically are similar to early Metallica, and probably a hell of a lot better depending on your tolerance for raw and aggressive features in the your music. For stuff like Master of Puppets, maybe check out Iced Earth as they seem to like ripping off a lot of the “classic” thrash and heavy metal bands.

Judging by your dislike of recommended thrash bands (and assuming they were good recommendations), I would stick to heavy metal bands, or even progressive or speed metal, 984. King Diamond, Fates Warning, Helloween, Running Wild, or even Iced Earth (like I said before), or Nevermore.

Needs more mummy guitar. nao plzkthnx