Wonderful Math

Ok for my homework tonight I have this sheet on “point of intersection”. This is probably a fairly easy concept but I am not gifted with the mad skillz to grasp and understand math quickly.

So I have to graph this info with the equation
y=mx+b

Option
A
B
C
Membership Fee (as according to the above letters)
A-$17
B-$38
C-$11
Cost per game (" ")
A-$4
B-$1
C-$6

So when I go to graph, which is the X value and which is the Y value?I originally graphed Y as the membership fee and graphed cost per game along X but not Im not so sure because it doesn’t look right…which is dependant on each the other? And which is the domain and the range?
:fungah:

EDIT:sigh never mind, I do believe this question doesn’t make sense and I’m sure I found my mistakes after I went over the question about a dozen times.
So uh, new topic who hates algebra?:stuck_out_tongue:

I am a cartesian graphs master, but when I read it, my brain tied into a knot.

I don’t know the right terms in English, but let me try:

The domain is the group of numbers on the X axis, and the range is the group of numbers on the Y. Now, I think it doesn’t matter whether the membership fee or the game cost goes into the X axis.

And despite being good at it, I hate Algebra.

X should be the number of games, and Y should be the overall cost. Instead of starting at the origin, you would start at the membership fee cost along the Y axis, and move up at the rate of the cost per game.

(amount of money) = (cost per game)(number of games) + (membership fee)

This is really nothing hard :stuck_out_tongue:

How many games you buy is the independant variable (x) and the total cost of all games bought is the dependant variable (y), as the total cost depends on how many games you buy.

Now, this is not one graph, but three, which is why it might have confused you. The b, or y-intercept, in this case, is the membership fee. The m (slope) of these graphs is 4, 1 or 6, depending on which graph you’re looking at (or which membership fee you paid).

Graph A: y = (4)x + 17
Graph B: y = (1)x + 38
Graph C: y = (6)x + 11

The question may have been awkward, but what they really gave you was the slope and the y-intercept (m and b) and they want you graph all three graphs or do whatever.

Your domain for x would be all positive whole number integers including 0 and your range would be:

Graph A: y >= 17
Graph B: y >= 38
Graph C: y >= 11

Note that the output can only be whole numbers, but whatever.

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
[b]This is really nothing hard :stuck_out_tongue:

How many games you buy is the independant variable (x) and the total cost of all games bought is the dependant variable (y), as the total cost depends on how many games you buy.

Now, this is not one graph, but three, which is why it might have confused you. The b, or y-intercept, in this case, is the membership fee. The m (slope) of these graphs is 4, 1 or 6, depending on which graph you’re looking at (or which membership fee you paid).
[/b]

I told you my mind is good for everything else BUT math:thud: Well kinda, that’s the impression I thought I gave off. I know it’s easy stuff but it takes me awhile to understand the steps. I mean a long while, i’m just not a math person :stuck_out_tongue:

And what you say there, about three graphs, um you mean it’s 3 equations? I know that, i’m actually supposed to graph all three equations on one graph and compare the cost of each, and such.

But thanks people, for elaborating I’ll no doubt look it over a dozen times before it starts to sink in:eek:

What Cless said… I finally understood the problem.

Uh, yeah. I meant equation, not graph.

No hablo Ingles >.>

brains explode because of word confusion

All my friends seem to hate algebra, but I don’t think it is that bad. But then again I do get most math concepts quite easily. What’s annoying is I then have to explain it to my friends so they get it.

As for your problem Eva, Cless’s answer does sound right.

I wish I had your explaining problem, it’s better than my not understanding problem.