WM: The Origin

“It was on a Saturday, as I remember” he began. “I had nothing to do and no one was watching over me, so I decided to sneak out of home and try the crystal. I focused hard on it… it grew warm in my hands. Lights appeared and spiraled around me. I felt dizzy, as if the world were vanishing around me- which it was! This was VERY different from the Mushroom World’s interdimensional pipes!”
“Next thing I knew, I was no longer in Puerto Rico… I was inside what appeared to be, a metallical building, like a factory of some sort, but dark and sooty. This was Gaia? I wondered.”
“I later found out, I was inside a Mako Reactor- a power plant that drew its energies from inside the planet. And, it was no coincidence that I materialized there. Mako energy has many bizarre effects, including weakening the fabric of space; my guess is, that was what brougth me there. "
“Anyway, I began to carefully explore my surroundings. I opened a nearby door, and thru it I saw a battle taking place!”
“Two odd-looking individuals were fighting against some even weirder-looking robots. One was a guy about my age, with spiky blond hair, dressed in black, and hefting a RIDICULOUSLY big sword; I couldn’t believe he could even lift the thing! The other looked a lot like Mister T, but without the mohawk and gold chains-”
“Who?”
“Oh, sorry, I keep forgetting you’re not from Earth. I mean, he was a huge black man, and he had a machine gun for a right arm! I should’ve known right then that things in this world were far more serious than in Mario’s World…”
“… But before I could decide who were the good guys in there, I was discovered by one of the robotic guards:”
“Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert! Intruder Alert!” it screeched in a fastidious monotone. The thing looked like a bowling ball with an eye, standing on a metallic bird-like leg.
“Huh? Wha? Me?? No wait! You’ve got it wrong!!” I tried to explain.
But the thing wasn’t taking no for an answer. It began to shoot some kinda bullets or minimissiles at me. PZINGPZING PZING!!
“YIPES!” I shouted. “FINE! If you want a fight, I’ll give you one, you metallic scarecrow!!” I shouted. I reached into my pocket and brought out a mushroom-”
“A mushroom??”
“Yeah. It was a magical, power-boosting shroom. I got it from Mushroom World. At the time, I didn’t know spells yet.”
“Oh” CC said, then let him continue.
“The bad part was that I had to SWALLOW the things for them to take effect. And mushrooms are NOT exactly my favorite snack. Ugh! But, it worked: Now I was -SUPER WILFREDO!!” he said, laughing at himself. “I grabbed the metallical ostrich and twisted it out of shape with my bare hands!”
“…unfortunately, three more were coming after it.”
“I decided that I had no choice but to run towards the strange guys and HOPE that they were Good Guys! They spotted me running towards them with three bird-robots on my tail, and reacted:”
“Yo, Cloud!” the big black one shouted, “Some kid’s coming!!”
“What?” Spike-hair said, “What now??”
“DON’T SHOOT ME, I’M NOT YOUR ENEMY!!!” I shouted at them. Thankfully, they decided that I wasn’t, and struck at the robots instead, shattering them to pieces.
“Who are you??” Black Guy shouted.
I was about to try to explain, but the sound of something metallic and HUGE coming around a corner distracted us. As we turned around to look at it, we saw another robot, this one large enough to dwarf all three of us!!"

(To be continued.)

hmm… me liking this still. Keep it up Wil ^^

(CC: Thanks, Chrissy, I will. )

“Was that Cloud? Aeris boyfriend?” Chris-Chris suddenly interrupted WM.
“Yes, and Barret Wallace, the leader of the Avalanche team. But Cloud wasn’t Aeris’ boyfriend” Wil explained. “Well, not really… it’s complicated… ohh, let me explain things in order, OK?”
“Sorry…”
“That’s alright… I understand your excitement… just trust me, I’ll explain everything, OK?”
“Ok, sir!” she nodded.
“Anyway” he continued, “What really got me about this new robot was not its size, but its appearance. If the other robots we fought were odd-looking, this one was- well- just absurd. It looked like- a- Steam Train Engine! You know what those are?”
CC nodded.
“Well, it was definitely a train. Completely with smokestack and cow-catcher! Except it had arms and legs. Now, why would anyone design a security robot that way? Whoever built the secbots in this building had a weird sense of humor! One thing for sure, it was NOT a joke- the thing was DEADLY! It rose one of its ‘arms’ up and then struck at us with it! It missed, because we all jumped aside, but it smashed the floor to pieces!
Cloud and Barret reacted quickly; Barret let the thing have it with a volley from his Machinegun arm, and Cloud swung his huge two-handed sword at it. They hit it, and they DID damage it… but the thing kept coming; obviously, it wasn’t going to fall apart as easily as the bird-robots.
Suddenly the thing went- I swear I’m not making this up- CHOO! CHOO!! and suddenly shot forward with incredibly speed, and rammed us, sending all three of us flying!! Good thing I had that Super Mushroom, and that Cloud and Barret were well-armored, otherwise we might’ve been badly hurt! Still, it WAS painful, and it was obvious that, if we didn’t finish this thing quickly, it was going to finish us!
I reached into my pocked and pulled out a Fire Flower, and ate it-”
“You- ATE a flower??” CC blinked.
“Umm, yes, it’s another magical plant from Mushroom World. You eat it and it gives you the power to throw fireballs, for a while… hey, no one said adventuring was always glamorous!! Anyway, I began hurling fireballs at the thing- but, while they also damaged it, they weren’t faring much better than my erstwhile partners’ attacks.
Suddenly, however, something amazing happened. Both Cloud and Barret stood still for a second, tensed, and looked like they were concentrating REALLY hard (or were REALLY angry!) I wondered what they were doing, but before I could ask, they suddenly burst into action!
I didn’t know it at the time, but they were using what we call “Limit Breaks” -as in, breaking your normal limits. It’s technique were you tap your inner reserves of energy to REALLY power up your attacks. Of course, you can’t use them often, you have to let the power build up within you; but the results are amazing!
Barret let loose HUGE blast of energy from his bionic arm; Cloud went all crazy slashing at the thing. With such powerful attacks hitting it, the train-bot had no chance. It blew up in tiny pieces!!
I was REALLY impressed by that performance… but Cloud and Barret went back to business quickly.
“I think that was the last of them” Cloud said.
“At least in this section” Barret added. “But we gotta find da reactor core before more of them come!”
“What about him?” Cloud asked, pointing at me.
“Umm, me?” I said, suddenly realizing my precarious situation. “Look, guys, I have NO idea who you are, what’s going on here or even where we are. I’m LOST, get it? Those things attacked me without provocation!”
“You believe him?” Barret asked Cloud.
“Even if he’s saying the truth, we can’t let him wander around here- he’ll attract more attention” Cloud answered. “We’ll have to bring him along with us.”
Barret didn’t look too happy with the idea. And I wasn’t, either.
“Mind telling me what’s going on here?” I asked.
“Look, kid, the less you know, the better. You just need to know, you’re in a very dangerous situation, and if you want to live, you’d better follow us. And keep quiet.”
“Oookay” I said, realizing I didn’t have much of a choice.
I followed them as they continued sneaking around the building. Eventually, we found what they were looking for: the reactor room.
“Make yo’self useful n’ watch the entrance, kid!” Barret told me. I didn’t argue.
I did, however, watch as the two of them fidgeted around with the reactor. It was obvious that they were sabotaging it. Now, I figured, they must be some sort of spies, and they want to destroy this evil-looking place… a logical guess, given the circumstances. So, I didn’t feel too bad about helping them. What I didn’t know… is that they were terrorists.”
“TERRORISTS??” CC gasped.
“Yes. AVALANCHE was an Ecoterrorist group; they believed that the Mako reactors were slowly killing the planet- and they were right” Wil said, grimly. “The company they were fighting against, SHIN-RA, was very evil, and Barret and the rest had good reasons to hate them… what I didn’t realize then, was how far Avalanche was willing to go to save the planet; they were willing to kill innocent people to do so. When they blowed up the Mako reactors, the people who worked there got killed as well.”
“Oh!” CC gasped.
“But as I said, I knew nothing of that at the moment. And I really didn’t have much of a choice… Cloud and Barret would probably had killed me if I tried to run away.”
“Then, something odd happened- something that would turn out to be very important later, but none of us had any idea of it at the moment: Cloud seized up, grabbing his head, and moaning in pain.”
“Yo, Cloud, you OK?” Barret said.
“Uh… wha…? Uh, of course!” he stubbornly insisted. In truth, he had had a vision, one of many that he would get, but he didn’t know their meaning nor did he want to talk about them.
Cloud finished his work, then he got up.
“OK, it’s done. We got ten minutes before this place blows up. Let’s get out of here!!” he exclaimed.
“Yikes!” I said.

To be continued…

A very nice update Wil. :slight_smile: I’m still reading.

“OH!” CC gasped.
“Well, obviously I didn’t die in that explosion, or I wouldn’t be here, right?” Wil joked, to clear the air a little. “Remember, I still had the Gaia Crystal, and I could use it to jump back to Earth before time ran out… I hoped” he continued. “Still, I joined Cloud and Barret as they ran their way back up all the Reactor’s levels. I guess I wanted to find out more about what was going on… or maybe, I got a little carried away into the events” he admitted sheepishly. CC decided not to comment on that.
WM continued: "Luckily, going up was easier than coming down, mostly because Cloud and Barret had already smashed any resistance along the way. We only stopped once, at a door that required an access code to pass; there were a bunch of kids -teenagers, really- at that point; they turned out to be more Avalanche members.
“Boss! You do it?” a fat teenage boy asked.
“Yeah, it be done” Barret answered. “Now we gotta get the Hell outta here before the place explodes! So hurry up!!”
“We know, we know!!” a girl with brown hair, but dressed in the same practical clothes as the others -gloves, workboots, etc- said. “You know that bypassing these security systems ain’t easy!!” She continued to work on the door’s codebox.
“Hey, who’s he?” a guy with dark hair asked, pointing at me.
“Just some kid we ran into” Cloud said.
I took the moment to try and find out what was going on. I decided to ask, “Just WHO are you people? Why are you blowing up this place??”
“You don’t know?” the dark-haired kid answered, “We’re AVALANCHE, the anti-Shinra Team!!” he said proudly.
“SHADDUP!!” Barret roared, causing the kid to freeze. “We don’t know yet if we can trust 'im!!”
Shin-ra I thought, That was the name I saw written on some of the equipment as we ran up… could it be one of those big, corrupt companies I’ve heard about?
I didn’t have much time to dwell on that, thought, because the door finally opened. We needed no invitation to run outside. We were now in the streets of a darkened city, not unlike Earth’s.
“Remember the plan!” Barret shouted out. At that, everyone, including Barret and Cloud, ran away in different directions- obviously to make tracking them more difficult; they would likely meet at some place later.
Now WHAT? I thought. Who do I follow??
It was at that moment that the reactor blew up.

KAAAAAAABOOOOOOMM!!!

“…I remember thinking, in the safety of the distance, that the explosion looked really cool.”
“…God, I feel like a moron, now… how could I not have realized- that INNOCENT people would’ve been caught in the blast as well?”
CC realized that WM, who lowered his head in shame, felt really bad about the event.
“But, Wil!” she said, trying to encourage him, “You didn’t know! And you had nothing to do with it, anyway!”
“Yeah, I know that… but I can’t help thinking… could I have figured it out? Could I have done something to prevent it? Or was I TOO caught in playing the whole thing, like some kind of game?”
CC began to understand now, what WM meant when he said he, too, had committed many errors in his life.
But then, WM shook his head, and said, “But, you’re right- no use complaining about what you can’t change. And, if my telling you these things helps you in some way, I’m glad to remember them.”
“They do, Wil. Thank you.”
They smiled at each other, and WM continued his story: “Afterwards, not knowing how to find where the Avalance group had gone, and, feeling tired, to be honest, I decided to return home. I focused on the Gaia Crystal, and I faded across dimensions as I had the first time, and I was back in Puerto Rico.”
“For the next few days, I found myself thinking a LOT about what had happened. My experience wasn’t what I was expecting; Gaia 7 looked like a dark, dirty, dangerous world; very unlike Mushroom World, were good and bad were clearly defined. Part of me was telling me, ‘Don’t go back there; it’s not a nice place’…
…“But another part, I have to admit, was thrilled by it. Thrilled by the real danger; thrilled by the new secrets that were there to discover, by the new powers that were there to be gained, and, most of all, by the thought that , perhaps, I might be REALLY needed there, that I could make a difference in a World very much like my own.”
WM sighed. “Funny, I remember the way I saw things back then, I felt as I’d made some HUGE discovery about Life. Which I did, I guess… just, NOT big enought. Oh no. I STILL had a LOT to learn…”
“I… think I understand how you felt, Wil.”
Wil nodded in satisfaction. Then, curiously, he looked away.
“…Wil? Something wrong?” CC asked, suddenly worried.
“Well… in order to be TRULY fair to you, CC, I must also mention something else… something that also had an impact on my decision to return to Gaia 7. It’s just that… it’s something I hadn’t thought about in a long time…”
CC held her breath, awaiting this new revelation.
“…My parent’s deaths” he finally added.
“OH!” I’m sorry, Wil, I didn’t mean to make you remember-!”
But WM stopped her with one hand. “It’s OK, CC. It’s not your fault. And, I’ve dealt with my loss a long time ago, honestly, I have. But, I didn’t think I had to tell you about it, but I realize now, it wouldn’t be fair to you. If I’m going to help you, I have to be really honest.”
" I appreciate that" CC said, smiling.Wil took a deep breath, then continued: “You see, CC, my parents had died -both of natural causes- not long before I began my little extradimensional excursions. I didn’t realize it at the time, but in a way, I was trying to fill the emptiness in my life that their absence left, by seeking refuge in these Worlds, that seemed so… unreal to me. It would be some time, before I realized, that the same values of life that apply to our world, also apply to the others.”
“I think I understand how you felt, Wil” CC explained. “As you know, I’m the child of a forbidden love; My father was the King of Dragons, my mother, the Leader of the Dragonslayers. I didn’t lose them, but they were forced apart, and their separation had a big effect on my life.”
“Yes, I know. But, if remembering that is too painful for you, then don’t. Let me be the one to rant” he joked, which cheered CC up.Then he continued: “So, now you may understand, why I decided not only to return to Gaia 7, but that I wasn’t going to return until I had found out exactly what was going on there, and that I had done everything I could to make things right there.”
“…It was THAT decision… that changed my life.”

NEXT: …And her name was… AERIS.

A very lovely update Wil. I liked that one a lot :slight_smile: :yipee:

“I prepared myself as best I thought” Wil explained. "Brought with me items I’d picked up both in Mushroom World and during my short foray in Gaia; I also left a note explaining things to my sister, whom I lived with at the time, telling her that I would be away for a while but that I could take care of myself. She, of course, knew nothing about my little extradimensional trips, and naturally, thought that I was crazy and was verrrry pissed at me later, but I never let her stop me from fulfilling my ‘destiny’ as I saw it.
Anyway, when I felt I was ready, I focused on the Gaia Crystal again, and it brought me back to Gaia 7- but not the same place as before. You see, the connection between Earth and Gaia is more tenuous than the Warp Pipes that lead to Mushroom World; you never know exactly WHERE in Gaia you would materialize; also, there was always a dizziness I hated.
I saw stars spinning around me; as the images came into focus, I saw someone standing in front of me- a girl, facing away from me, towards a bed of flowers.
CC’s eyes flew wide. “A girl! Was she-?”
“Yes” Wil Nodded. “Aeris.”
“I don’t believe it!” CC gasped. “You teleported right in front of her??”
“Well, almost” Wil admitted. “And before you ask, no, I don’t know why I appeared next to her. Even today, I’m not sure why that happened; it might’ve been the place she was in at the time: An abandoned church. She said that it was a ‘holy place’ and that flowers grew there because of it. Maybe it was a focus for the planet’s natural magical energies… or, maybe it was her?” he pondered. “She did have that mysterious White Materia with her… but wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s get back to Aeris…”
“Ok!” CC agreed.
But something was bothering Wil. “Before I continue- CC, why is it that you’re so- impressed- by Aeris?”
“Well” she responded, a bit sheepishly. “She was, well, the perfect girl. Everyone talks about how sweet she was, and pretty, and kind, and courageous, and… well, everything a girl dreams to be.”
Suddenly Wil began to giggle again.
“Wait! You’re not going to tell me all that was NOT true, are you??” CC snapped,
“Oh, it was true, all right” he said, stopping his giggles, “but that was not all she was about!”
“No?”
“Nope! CC, you gotta understand; people are NEVER ‘just this’ or ‘just that’. Human beings are VERY complex. We all have multiple sides to our personalities. It is true, Aeris was kind, and gentle, and oh yes, very pretty! But, she could also be mischievious when she wanted to.”
“…Mischievious?”
“Like the time she convinced Cloud to disguise himself as a woman so they could enter a lecherous criminal’s hideout! Man, too bad I missed that one!” he roared in laughter. “Then again, maybe it was good that I missed it!!”
“She was tough, too” he continued. “She had lived all her live in the slums, and she knew how to take care of herself, trust me!”
CC noticed the change in Wil’s attitude as he spoke; it was as if he were talking about some dear friend that he hadn’t seen in a long time.
“She was stubborn, too. When she made up her mind, nobody could get her to change it. In fact, that was what got her ki-”
Suddenly Wil froze, as if he had realized he was going to say something wrong. For a moment, he and CC exchanged gazes…
…Then he continued: “Er… anyway. I don’t want you to get the idea that Aeris was a bad girl; she was good, very good. But, she was human, and had flaws, like all of us. And that was a good thing.”
“It was?”
“Of course! Our flaws are what keep us grounded, Chrissy; they remind us that we are NOT perfect. Don’t be sad that your heroes aren’t perfect; be glad that they aren’t, so you can relate to them.”
“I… think I understand, Wil.”
“Good. Let’s continue the story, then:”
“Where was I? Oh yes, I had materialized next to Aeris. She didn’t notice, she wasn’t looking in my direction. But, she DID feel my presence; she quickly turned around. That was my first good look at her. Let me tell you, the legends do not exaggerate- she WAS beautiful, but in a girl-next-door kinda way; she wasn’t an utterly gorgeous supermodel, or anything. It was the whole package- her shiny green eyes, her long brown hair, which she always kept tied in a ponytail with a handkerchief- even the humble pink dresses she preffered, only added to her beauty.”
“Wow, Wil, you really were captivated by her, weren’t you?” CC asked, a bit mischieviously.
“WHAT? NO!” he quickly retorted. “Don’t get the wrong idea, CC. Aeris and I were FRIENDS, nothing more. I admired her, but I didn’t have a crush on her. Besides, I was always aware of her feelings of Cloud.”
“But didn’t you said that Cloud never was her boyfriend?”
“He never got the chance”
“No??”
“Hey, let me tell the story!”
“Whoops! Sorry!”
Wil took another deep breath, then continued:
“Naturaly, Aeris’ first reaction to me was to gasp in surprise; after all, she hadn’t heard me approach, and, it turns out, there were bad people looking for her at the time.”

“GASP!!”
‘Whoa! Sorry!! Didn’t mean to startle you, Ma’am!" I tried to explain. “I, uhh, just want directions”. Which was true, by the way.
She eyed me suspiciously. “…Where are you going?” she asked.
“Ah… Sector 8?” It was the name of the place where Barret had said to his teammates that they would reunite after splitting up the night before; I overheard it right before they split up on me.
“Oh” she said, calming down. “This is Sector 5, sir. To reach Sector 8, you’ll have to go all the way around the Pillar, to the left. The right side is closed.”
“Go AROUND the… Pillar? To the left?” I asked, puzzled. But, I realized that if I asked what she meant, she might get even more suspicious of me. So, I said, “Right. Got it. Thank you, miss” and turned around, and started to leave.
It was then that I got a good look at the place I was in. Everything was in ruins. “Good Lord! What happened here??”
“Nothing” she said, sounding amused. “This church has been abandoned for a long time now. I guess people just lost faith by living in here… I only come here to tend the flowers”
“Oh… Ok… well, thank you, miss” I said, then continued to exit.
Outside, I was greeted by an even more puzzling sight: The sky was obscured by a HUGE metal roof!"
“A roof?”
"Yes. It was like the Astrodome, but only reached partway thru the sky; it obscured the sun, so that the whole town around us was in permanent twilight. I followed the roof with my gaze, and saw that it sprouted from a HUGE structure- the “Pillar” that Aeris had mentioned.
I stood puzzled; what the HECK was this? This wasn’t the city I had been on last night!
“Is this your first time in Midgar?” Aeris, who had followed me from inside the church, said; it was more a statement than a question.
“Ah… yes” I said.
“If you want to go topside, you’ll have to take the train.” she explained.
Topside?
It was THEN that it hit me:
The City of Midgar was built ON A HUGE PLATAFORM, ABOVE several small towns, the so-called “sectors”!
“Huh? Why?”
“Well, I never found out the exact reason, but I assume it was because the Mako Reactors that powered the city polluted the ground around them; so, someone must’ve figured that the best thing to do, was to build a city that didn’t touch the ground- directly, that is.”
“Oh, I see.”
Wil continued to tell his story. “Um, no, I want Sector 8” I repeated to Aeris.
I also took a good look at the buildings around us.
Half of them were abandoned; all of them looked ruined.
This was a slum.
“Yeah, this is the city’s poor area” Aeris explained, before I even asked. “All the people with money live above.”
“So, the poor lived BELOW the rich?? What an appalling idea!” CC said, miffed.
“Yeah, I was bothered by it, too. I was starting to realize the injustices committed upon this World, CC- and all were Shinra’s fault.”
Aeris then continued to explain things ro me:
"To get to sector 8, all you have to do is follow the path AROUND the Central Pillar, going to the left. You’ll’ pass Sectors 6 and 7 on the way. However, I must warn you- Sector 6 is dangerous. There are monsters in the abandoned areas, and criminals in the inhabited ones."
“Don’t worry, I can take care of myself” I said to her, and I meant it. Sheesh, was I overconfident back then!
“I would guide you there myself, but I have errands to keep…”
“Don’t worry, lady” I told her. You’ve helped me enough already. Thank you."
I turned around, to begin my search for Avalanche, when she called me back:
“Sir!”
“Yes?”
“Forgive me, but… would you like to buy a flower?”
“A flower?” it was then I realized that she sold flowers for a living!
“Aeris was a Flower Girl?”
“Yes. Hey, at least it was an honest way of earning a living!”
“I guess…”
“Um, sure!” I said, out of impulse.
“It’s one Gil” she said.
Luckily, I had found one such coin in the streets last night. I gave it to her.
“Here you go!”
“Thank you, Sir!” she said, and flashed me one of those great smiles of hers.
But I stood there, staring stupidly at the flower.
“Sir?”
“Uh? Oh, sorry. It’s just that… what am I supposed to do with this?”
“Give it to your girlfriend!” she said, almost laughing at my naivete.
“I don’t have one.” I explained matter-of-factly.
“Well, you can always give it to your mother!” she said, giggling.
“My mother passed away.”
“Oh! Sorry, I didn’t mean-”
“I know, I know. Tell you what- why don’t YOU take it?”
“Huh? But I sold it to you!”
“So? Is there a law against giving flowers to Flower Girls?”
“Of course not!”
“Then please take it. It’s not a come-on line, I swear.”
That made her smile again. “Very well” she said, taking it. “But I warn you- I’ll just sell it to someone else.”
“That’s OK. Long as the flower doesn’t get wasted.”
We both smiled at each other.
Again, I turned around to leave, and again, she stopped me.
“Wait. Aren’t you going to tell me your name?”
“I told you- it’s not a trick to get you to like me!”
“I believe you. Still, when a gentleman gives a lady a flower, the least he can do is tell her his name.”
Again,we exchanged smiles, and I said:
“Wilfredo.”
“I am Aeris” she responded.
“Nice meeting you, Aeris.”
“Good day, Wilfredo.”
And then she walked back to the church…

(To be continued.)

“As I watched Aeris walk back into the church, I couldn’t help but wonder, why I felt like I’d just met somebody important” Wil continued. “Even back then, when I was so ‘green’, my instincts told me she wasn’t just a ‘Flower Girl’. However, I had no idea what to do about it. Today, I would’ve investigated her, but back then, I just went ahead with my plans to find Avalanche.”
“I went further into Sector 5, and checked the shops. First rule of the Adventurer: look for stuff you can use to your advantage.”
“Oh, I know THAT one!” CC said, smiling.
WM nodded in approval. “I made a VERY important discovery in those shops: Materia.”
“What?”
“It’s a kind of magical crystals unique to Gaia 7. Remember I told you about the energies of that planet? Well, it seems that they sometimes solidify, such as inside Mako reactors. Just holding a Materia Crystal allows anyone to use its magical powers! They’re actually sold on shops in that world! Imagine… a world where ANYONE can use magic! If you can afford it, that is. As it was, I had to sell some of items in order to afford them… but I got enough to start learning about Magic. This was different from the powers I gained from the mushrooms and other items from Mushroom World. Each crystal had a different type of power… Fire, Lightning, Ice… the longer you had a crystal with you… the more its powers grew. It was almost like- they were alive, and in symbiosis with their owners.”
“Ohh.”
“I must admit, much of my time in Gaia 7 was spent hunting for, and mastering, Materia Crystals. It was my first experience with TRUE magic… which would turn out to be, one of my life’s defining moments. It turns out, I had a natural affinity for magic. It would be a while, but I would grow quite skilled with it. But, you know that already” he added, smiling. “I could… FEEL their power… it made me feel… like, for the FIRST time in my life, I REALLY had my fate in my my hands… Maybe if I’d spent more time focusing on the matters at hand, and less time toying with the power…”
“…Ahh, but there I go again. Complaining about what’s done. Nevermind. Let’s get back to the story.”
"In addition to the crystals, I bought some armor, weapons and healing items. I chose a staff as my weapon, I always had a liking for them. Turns out to be the same kind of weapon Aeris favored! Also, the weapons in Gaia 7 had slots to put the crystals in; since you need to be in physical contact with them to use their powers, it made it easier to hold lots of them at the same time! The armors -if you could call them that- also had Materia slots. "
“What do you mean, about the armors?”
“They were just bracelets!”
“Bracelets?”
“Yup. I guess they were magical too, and had some attack-deflection effect, or something… but hey, they worked, that’s what matters! Anyway, after I got fully equipped, I set out for Sector 8. Aeris was right about Sector 6; as I walked thru a scrap heap to get into it, I was attacked by ghosts-like creatures! Luckly, my newfound magic spells dealt easily with them!”
“You know, that was a pretty depressing experience… as if seeing the poor living conditions in the slums wasn’t enough, I walked thru a a haunted junkyard, and then, I found an abandoned children’s park… as well as an area called Wall Market, which, while a good place to get more stuff, was also a crime-ridden neighbourhood. Fortunately, I didn’t run into any trouble as I walked past it.”
(I’d better not tell CC about the ‘club’ that I suspected, was really a brothel! Not that I ever got to find out…)
“In any case, I made it soon enough into Sector 7, which unknown to me, was my REAL destination”
“It was?”
“Yeah. Sector 8 was where the train station was, which is where Avalanche reunited after their first mission, but their real base was in Sector 7”
“Unknown to me, there were important events going on, at the same time. For starters, Avalanche decided to destroy ANOTHER Mako Reactor, the day after their previous strike!”
“What? So soon? Wouldn’t Shinra’s forces still be in high alert?”
"Exactly, CC! I’m glad you realize it. I guess they figured out that Shinra wouldn’t believe they would strike again so soon. To be honest, Avalanche’s leader, Barret, wasn’t exactly the best man for the job, if you ask me. He tended to think with his fists. I guess you can’t blame him, given the circumstances that led him to that position. But, more on him later. "
“They DID succeed in destroying a second Reactor- but nobody less than the President of Shinra sicked a new, tougher Robot Soldier on them. They beat it, but it delayed them senough that they were almost caught in the reactor explosion. In fact, Cloud actually fell down thru the plate, into Sector 5, below.”
“Oh, no!” Chris-chris gasped.
“Don’t worry, he was OK. Unbelievably, he fell into the SAME abandoned church I’d materialized in, and the bed of flowers that Aeris was tending broke his fall!”
“Was that how he met Aeris?” CC said, excited.
“Yes. But don’t ask for details, because I wasn’t there, and they never talked much about it, other than to say that Cloud helped Aeris escape from some Shinra goons called The Turks.”
“Oh” CC said, disappointed.
“Meanwhile, I was making my way thru Sector 7, when I spotted Barret- he was just returning from the second mission. He was walking with the other Avalanche members, minus Cloud, I quickly noticed, plus another member I had yet to meet: Tifa.”
“Wait! I know that name!” CC suddenly gasped, obviously excited again. “Wasn’t that Cloud’s OTHER girlfriend??”
“Umm, well, kinda” Wil hesitated. “Wait a sec, CC, just WHAT have you been told about her??”
“Just that Aeris and Cloud were trapped in this wonderful, agonizing love triangle, with a girl named Tifa, and that poor Cloud couldn’t choose between his Old Flame, and his New one!”
“Yeesh, you make it sound like ‘Days of our Lives!’ Look, technically you’re right; those three indeed had feelings for each other, including those of friendship between Aeris and Tifa; which only made the whole thing more awkward. However, the fact is, they rarely talked about them, or did anything about them. There wasn’t much time, as we spent most of our time running from one crisis to another. I guess that’s the most tragic thing of all- that they never got to resolve their situation by themselves. Fate did it for them.”
“What do you mean?”
“Uhh, I’ll… explain later. Let me continue the story…”
“OK.”
“Anyway, I was quite surprised by Tifa. I mean, who wouldn’t? I’m sure you have heard about her beauty; but hers was a different sort from Aeris’. She was SEXY! This, despite the fact she was a kickboxer, and had the frame for it.”
“A kickboxer??”
“Oh, yeah!” Wil said, smiling, once again slipping into nostalgia. “Tif could knock a grown man silly with just a few blows, trust me! A real Tough Cookie! And yet, her personality was at odd with that; in her own way, she was actually more timid than Aeris. Aeris was very up-front about everything, while Tif, afraid to hurt other people’s feelings, would keep things inside her. That would prove to be a mistake; there were things that she knew, that, had she spoken about them earlier, we might have had time to react better to them.”
“Um, Wil, you’re getting ahead of yourself again.”
"Uhh, right. Anyway, I waved to the group as soon as I saw them:
“Yo, Barret!”
“Huh??” Barret said, turning around. “It’s da kid!!”
“Who?” Tifa asked.
“The guy we ran into on the first Reactor” Jesse explained.
I ran up to them.
“What are YOU doing here??” Barret roared at me.
“Looking for you people, of course!” I answered, annoyed at his attitude.
“How did you find us???” again he shouted.
“YOU said you would meet the others in Sector 8. I was heading there.”
“You must be a Shinra spy!!” Barret said, even angrier, if that’s possible. He grabbed me by the collar of my T-shirt. THAT made me mad. “Hey, let me go!” I snapped, “Or eat Lightning!!” I added, as I placed my right hand in front of his face, Materia Magic crackling around it. It made him pause.
“Barret, STOP!” Tifa shouted at him. “What makes you think he could be a spy?”
“Have you forgotten?? The Shinra were waitin’ for us!!” He meant, during the second Reactor attack.
“That could’ve been a coincidence. I TOLD you that attacking so soon after the first raid was a BAD Idea!” Tifa continued. “And even if he WERE a spy, how could he have known WHICH reactor we were going to hit? He wasn’t with us when we decided!”
Reluctantly, Barret let me go.
“Look, I have no idea what the Hell is going on here. THAT is why I came looking for you people; I want to UNDERSTAND it” I spat out. “It looks to me like you’re the good guys, and that you’re fighting a great Evil here. If that is the case, I’ll help you. But you’ll have to trust me, and tell me what this is all about.”
Barret looked at me, indecision and anger in his face (there was ALWAYS anger in his face).
“We ARE in need of new members” Tifa added. “Especially NOW…” She said, suddenly sad.
“I told ya not to give up on Cloud!” Barret snapped at her (he meant well, really, but his manners were terrible) “Wasn’t it you who tol’ me that he was such a tough member of SOLDIER?” (Soldier, btw, was Shinra’s elite warriors; they made them superhuman with Mako radiation treatments.)
“I know!” she responded. “I haven’t given him up for dead yet; still, it wouldn’t hurt to have more help for our cause, no?”
“Besides, what are we gonna do with him otherwise? Let him go?” Wedge, another team member, said. “He knows what we look like!”
“Grrr true” Barret growled. “FINE, kid. Yer coming with us. But you’d better be tellin’ us da truth.”
Inside my mind, I was starting to wonder if maybe this had been such a good idea after all…

(To be continued.)

“I followed Avalanche as we walked deeper into Sector 7. We entered a Bar named Tifa’s Seventh Heaven, which, yes, was owned by Tifa. Once we were all inside (and Barret had not-too-subtly asked the few patrons in it to leave) they all sat down, except Barret and Tifa. Tifa went behind the counter, were a middle-aged woman and a little girl had been minding the place.
“Dadee! You’re back!!” The little girl shouted happily, and ran into Barret’s arms.
“How’s my girl??” Barret said, picking her up in his arms. It was an odd sight; first, because Marlene -that was the girl’s name- was white, while barret was black. I later found out she was adopted. Second, because the girl looked tiny next to Barret’s huge body. But most of all, was the fact that Barret was SMILING- one of the few times I ever saw him do that. Marlene really was the one bright spot in his life.
“Umm, Marlene, Dadee and the rest of us need to talk with our new friend” Tifa said, pointing at me. “Could you please go with Mrs. Smith to her house for a while?”
“Sure, Auntee Tifa!” she replied happily. Then she turned at me, and bowed, saying, “Nice to meet you, mister!”
“Nice to meet you too” I replied, smiling. Heh, that kid was indeed one of the few nice things I encountered in the slums. Marlene then took Mrs. Smith’s hand, and they walked out of the bar.
Then the interrogation began.
“Ok, kid, now just WHO da devil are you??” Barret asked, back to his nasty normal self.
It’s good that I had been working on a cover story to tell them. I don’t think they would’ve swallowed the idea that I was a visitor from another universe.
“My name is Wilfredo” I told them. “I’m a traveller. I just arrived in Midgard.” Which was technically TRUE, you know.
“What were you doing inside Reactor 1?” Tifa asked.
For this, too, I had made up an answer. “I was looking for materia.”
“Aha! So you’re a thief??” Wedge, the fat kid, said.
“So?” Biggs, the black-haired guy, said. “We’re not exactly in a position to criticize breakin’ the law!”
“Why do you want to help us?” Tifa asked.
“I didn’t realize Shinra’s evil” I said. Which was true, since I didn’t know about Shinra at all before I came to this world! “I’ve seen the terrible conditions of life down here. If Shinra is to blame, I will oppose them. I may be a… thief, but I won’t stand for cruelty.”
“Why should we trust you??” Barret asked.
“And why I should I trust you???” I fired back. “I don’t REALLY know if you’re good guys! As far as I know, you could be criminals! Why are you blowing up reactors, anyway???”
That comment made them stop in their tracks. It was Jesse, the brown-haired girl, who finally spoke:
“The planet is dying” she said, in a sad tone. “The Mako Reactors are sucking up the energy inside it. Next to them, nothing grows, and animals mutate. Shinra knows it, but they don’t care. They just want the money they make with them. "
“Wait a minute!” I asked. " Don’t people know about this? Why are they allowing this to happen?”
“Most people don’t know” Tifa explained. “Shinra controls everything, even the media. And those that DO know are either silenced, or eliminated.”
“Yeah, we in Avalanche are among the few groups that actively oppose them” Biggs added. “And we have no choice but to use terrorist tactics. It’s the only way we can fight back.”
I was silent for a moment, taking all of that in.
“Man, those Shinra people sound really bad” CC commented. " Abusing the people AND ruining their planet.”
“Not everyone in Shinra was bad, CC.” WM explained. “Remember, it was a company; many people, even its soldiers, were just working for them, not knowing the extent of the damage they were doing. It was the Board of Directors that was mostly composed of ruthless, even evil, people.”
Wil continued the story:
“So, will you help us?” Tifa asked.
“Wait! I still don’ know if we can trust him!” Barret snapped.
“How about the fact that I KNEW where to find you people, yet I haven’t told Shinra?” I pointed out. “Otherwise, I would’ve led them to you by now, don’t you think??”
Barret was silent, his way of admitting that I had a point.
"Look, Barret, why don’t you put him up to a test, as you did the rest of us?’ Tifa asked him, nicely.
“Finel” Barret growled. “I’ll think of somethin’. Until then, you’re staying where we can keep an eye on you!”
“Very well” I agreed.
Barret then proceeded to walk towards a pinball machine. Except it was really a disguised elevator; it sank into the floor- it was the secret entrance to their REAL headquarters, which were hidden under Tifa’s bar. All of the Avalanchers, except Tifa, jumped down into the opening. Iwas going to as well, but I decided to talk to her first.
“…I didn’t catch your name.”
“I’m Tifa” she said, smiling. Damn, she had a wonderful smile, too, just like Aeris’.
CC smiled at my comment.
“Before you ask” Wil snorted, “No, I didn’t have a crush on Tifa. I mean, sure, I reacted to her like any healthy, straight guy would. But we were never anything more than friends. OK?”
“OK!” CC said, but she was still smiling.

(To be continued.)

Sorry I hadn’t posted yet. ^^;;; Computer is giving me troubles. But me likes. :slight_smile: Continue this please.

That’s OK, CC. I hope you clear your PC problems soon.

BTW, folks, I edited new stuff into my last post, so please check it out.

Oh, and you look cute in Pink, CC! :slight_smile:

I tried to strike a conversation with Tifa.
“So, what happened to Cloud?” I asked. I gathered from their earlier comments that something bad had happened to him.
Although distraught, Tifa was still able to tell me what happened at Reactor 5. Of course, we didn’t yet know that Cloud had survived the fall, much less that he had met Aeris too. I could tell from her reaction that she had some feelings for him. I wanted to comfort her, but what could I say? Not that it mattered, because Barret hollered again, for me to get down into the Avalanche headquarters. So I jumped thru the hole in the floor, and the pinball machine slid back into place.
The actual “headquarters” was just one room. There was a TV, currently showing the news; a computer, where Jesse was sitting at, working on something; a table, were both Wedge and Biggs were sitting, eating; and a punching bag, that Barret was currently beating the smack out of- it was his way to let stress out.
I walked over to him; I’ve always been the “let’s get straight to the point” kinda guy. I wanted to know what was my test, and when was I going to get it.
“I tol’ you, I’ll come up with somethin’ later” he barked. “I 'll tell ya tomorrow. You can sleep there until then” he said, pointing to a cot in the corner. Man, I was REALLY starting to regret throwing my lot in with this rag-tag army; but, while I could’ve left back to Earth at any moment, I was too stubborn to give up.
Barret went back to hammering the punching bag, so I decided to check my surroundings. The news on the TV were, of course, painting Avalanche as dangerous madmen, while at the same time, minimizing the damage and loss of life caused by their actions. Ironically, had I realized the gravity of Avalanche’s actions then, I WOULD have quit- instead, the obvious fakeness of the news only convinced me to hate Shinra and to help Avalanche all the more.
“Give me your ID card” Jesse suddenly said.
“Huh?” was my reaction.
“Your ID card! I need to make sure that the security checkpoints on the train won’t detect you.” You see, CC, the only way up from the Sectors into the plate above was by train, and they had a system that scanned all the passengers ID cards automatically. Jesse and Biggs were hackers, so they could make fake cards to allow Avalanche to go to the city above.
Thinking quickly, I pretended to look for it in my pockets, then acted surprised:
“Damn! I can’t find it! Must’ve lost it when I was attacked by bandits on the way here” I lied.
“Oh, great!” Jesse complained. “I guess I must now make a whole new one for you.”
“Now, don’t make it ‘extra-special’ this time, Jess!” Biggs joked.
“Shut up, Biggs! I won’t commit THAT mistake again!” she angrily retorted. Then, noticing my confused look, she whispered to me “I made one for Cloud, but I tried to make him sound REALLY important… and apparently, the system didn’t believe it. We almost got caught. I don’t understand why” she lamented. You know, I think it might’ve had to do with the fact that Cloud wasn’t exactly the person he thought he was, and might have given her incorrect information.
“What do you mean, he wasn’t who he thought he was?” CC asked.
“I’ll explain that latter” I pointed out, then continued:
“That’s OK, Jesse, I trust you will do fine this time” I told her. You know, I felt sorry for Jesse, caught in all of this, with these jerks for comrades, and not having Tifa’s self-confidence to deal with things. I felt moved to ask her:
“How did you get into all this? I mean, you’re pretty young.”
She smiled at me, as if moved that someone was paying attention to her for once. “Well, I have always been into computers… you know, hacking? It was that way that I found about all the lies Shinra have been telling. I just felt like I had to do something… that’s why I joined Avalanche.”
“Yeah, she told me about it” Biggs added from his chair. “And I brought my buddy Wedge along for it. I mean, we get to save the planet AND we get paid. What’s not to like?”
“You get PAID?” I asked, surprised.
“Uhh, Biggs, you shouldn’t talk about that…” Wedge said, nervously.
“Why not? What’s wrong with that? Even terrorists need money!” he laughed.
“Barret doesn’t like it” Wedge whispered nervously. “He pays us 'cause he knows we need money, but he hates it when we make it sound like we’re in this for the money. Remember how he argued with Cloud about it!”
“Yeah, but he STILL hired him” Biggs whispered back.
“Wait, Cloud joined Avalanche just for the money?” CC said, sounding disappointed.
“At that moment, yes” WM explained. “And because Tifa asked him to. In fact, it was only because Tifa vouched for him, that Barret accepted him, an ex-member of Shinra’s army, as part of Avalanche.”
“Cloud was in Shinra???” CC gasped.
“Yes. It’s… complicated. Suffice it to say for now, that he quit under bad circumstances, and was now a mercenary, willing to work for anyone for money.”
CC looked disappointed. Obviously, the stories she’d been told, painted Cloud as a great hero. Realizing this, WM quickly added:
“But, make no mistake, CC- althought Cloud was- confused- about many things for a long time, he WAS a hero- he had the courage, and the disposition. Trust me, and wait for me to explain things.”
“Ok…” she nodded.
WM continued:
I decided not to press the issue. Instead, I said;
" Well, if there’s nothing to do right now, I’ll go catch some Z’s. Wake me up when it’s time."
And I went to the cot, and somehow managed to sleep the rest of the night.

(To be continued.)

Kepp moving ^^ It’s coming good ^^

Interesting story so far. I never knew jesse was a girl. Weird. Jesse is a name for both sexes though and Jesse did kind of look like a scrawny guy. suppose it’s the sprite to blame.

(OOC: Thank you, CC. Say, you HAVE played FF7, haven’t you? I’m not spoiling the game for you, am I?)

The next day, I awoke, still in the old cot, but at least I felt refreshed. But, there was no one else in the “headquarters.” Surprised by this, I checked my surroundings, but found nothing wrong. I looked for the switch to the “pinball elevator”, easily found it, then went up to the first floor.
Tifa was there, cleaning the bar; there were no patrons yet.
“Good morning, Tifa” I said, gentlemanly.
“Morning” Tifa replied, smiling.
“Where is everyone?”
“Oh, they’re off, doing personal things. Jessie, Wedge and Biggs are visiting their families, Barret is taking Marlene out for a walk.”
“Err, what about MY test?”
“Umm, I dunno. Barret didn’t say anything.”
“Great. What am I supposed to do… wait here until he comes back?” I huffed.
“I don’t see why. Why don’t you check out the neighborhood?”
“Huh? You mean… I can leave?” I said, surprised.
“Of course!” Tifa laughed. “It isn’t like you’re a prisoner here!”
That struck me as odd; I mean, I knew who Avalanche were, and where to find them, and they had yet to test my trustworthiness… and I was free to leave? Even back then, I was savvy enough to know that made no sense.
Still, I decided not to question it. Why? Because I figured out, that my reaction might very well be part of the test! And, in any case, when you’re an adventurer, you gotta check out all the time for new opportunities… for example, assuming that Avalanche might decide to, err, eliminate me for being a risk, I’d better know the neighborhood, if I needed to escape! Catch my drift?
“Yessir!” CC nodded.
Anyway, I told Tifa that I would indeed go out for a while, and that I’d be back soon, and then I left the Bar.
Sector 7 was just like the other slums I’d already seen in Midgard; Still, I did find a few useful things in there. For example, there was a group of people inside a “training hall” of sorts, practicing combat moves. It was from one of them that I found out about the whole “Limit Break” concept. It seems like everyone in Gaia 7 had the potential to develop his or her own LBs… but few actually did, it required enormous stamina and training. I wondered if I could do so as well. After all, I was not a native, and I certainly still had a way to go as a warrior…
I also went around trading stuff, to buy more equipment. Sadly, I found no new Materias there.
After a while, I got bored. Thought, I must admit, that’s a problem I often suffer from. I was walking along the street, when suddenly, a punkish-looking guy- you know, with a mohawk, jewelry, tattoos, wearing leather, etc- walked towards me.
“Hey kid!” he whispered, “can I ask you something?”
“Er… maybe” I answered, carefully. He didn’t look trustworthy.
“I’m looking for a man with a machine-gun for a right arm. Have you seen one?”
That, of course, HAD to be Barret, unless Gunarms were common in this world, which I doubted. This guy could’ve been been a friend of his… or maybe part of my test… but something told me not to trust him.
“No, sorry” I told him.
He insisted. “C’mon, kid. There’s some Gil in it for you!”
“I said no!” I insisted, and walked away from him.
He continued to walk around the neighborhood, talking with people, obviously asking them the same thing he’d asked me. Luckly, most people, smelling trouble, didn’t want to talk to him. I decided to tell Tifa about him.
Just as I was nearing Tifa’s Bar, Barret was just coming back.
“Hey Barret!” I called him, “There’s some guy asking around for you.”
“Huh? Who?”
“I dunno, I thought you might know.”
“I ain’t got anyone in town who might look fer me, who doesn’t already know where to find me!”
“Well, in that case, I guess he must work for Shinra” I said, smirking.
“Take me to him” he snapped.
Tifa came along with us, as we searched for the stranger. We finally caught up to him, in an alley.
When he saw Barret, he panicked and tried to escape, but we had him surrounded.
“NO! D-DON’T HURT ME!!”
“That depends” Barret roared. “Why are you looking fer me?”
He froze.
“Look, pal, you’d better tell him SOMETHING, or he’s gonna use you for target practice” I said, playing the “good cop” to Barret’s “bad cop”.
“I-I-I just do what I’m told! Or I will be killed!!”
“Who are you working for?” Tifa asked.
“I can’t tell you, he would kill me! AFTER torturing me!!”
“And whaddaya think I’M gonna do??” Barret roared. Man, he was scary!
“Look at it this way” I told him, “at least if you cooperate with us, you have time to get the hell out of town.”
That seemed to convince him.
“…Don Corneo” he finally confessed.
“Corneo!? What does that dirty old man want with me??”
“Shinra paid him to help find you guys”
“How much does Corneo know about us??” Tifa snapped.
“I dunno! Honest! I’m just a flunkie!!!” he said, panicking.
“…I think he’s telling the truth.” I told them.
“Grrr… OK. Get the HELL outta my sight. NOW!!!” Barret roared, and the poor goon ran like the devil was on his tail. I never saw him again, so I guess he did get out of town… or Corneo’s men got to him.
“So, who is this Don Corneo?” I asked.
“The crime boss of Sector 6.” Barret explained.
“Oh, that makes sense” I said. “What better way to find outlaws than by paying other outlaws to find them?”
“We must find out how much Corneo knows about us” Tifa stated.
“How do ya figger on doin’ that?” Barret retorted. “Are ya gonna just walk into his heavily guarded mansion and ask him?”
“Exactly” she said, with a wicked smile.
“Huh?” Barret and I said.
“I hear corneo has a… weakness for pretty girls” she said, cockily.
“FORGET IT, TIFA!” Barret shouted. “You’re going nowhere near that sicko!!”
“But, Barret-”
“NO! You ain’t sweet-talkin’ me this time!” Then, he just turned his back to her, and stormed off, his way of telling her that his decision was final.
But as he walked away, Tifa gave him a harsh stare, and then smiled wickedly again. I could tell, she had a plan, and no intention of being told what to do. Man, in her own way, Tifa could be just as stubborn as Aeris…

NEXT: THE FALL OF SECTOR SEVEN

Taking this path seems like a good thing to do because the plot isn’t so dead fixed in this area like it was in the reactor. You actually have freedom here to write whatever you want without offending super fans of the game much.

Video spirit: My plan is indeed to write AROUND the events of FF7, not to alter them- and certainly, not to steal the limelight from the characters as so many other fanfics do. And, hopefully, I’ll clear up and/or expand on many of the game’s events- for example, I made up the stuff on Jesse, Wedge and Biggs- I always felt they could’ve been used better.

pats Wil on the back and it’s a great way of using them. ^^ Another lovely update and I could hardly read it with my glasses broken. ^^;; Sorry 'bout that though… I’l read it again once I get them fixed. :cool: