Wizard of Oz: The Sci Fi version

There’s a new made-for-TV miniseries called TIN MAN (basically a modern retelling of The Wizard of Oz as a Fantasy Drama) airing tonight in the Sci Fi channel. I know, I know, usual SF Channel movie = drek, with barely any plot, poor acting and crappy SFX. But this one looks pretty good, actually: they even aired a “Making of” special, which is how I found out about it. Basically, the story is about a woman name DG (note the same initials as Dorothy Gail) who finds herself transported to an universe known as the Outer Zone (OZ, get it?) by a tornado-like vortex. There she finds out that an evil (But HOT! :stuck_out_tongue: ) sorceress is terrifying the world, and must join forces with an ex-cop (the “Tin-Man” of the title), a literally brainless guy (who looks like the Scarecrow crossed with Johnny Depp) and a Wookie-like guy (the Cowardly Lion, apparently) to defeat her. Richard Deyfuss plays The Wizard, and there’s an original angle in some form of connection between DG and the sorceress.

Normally, I look down on things like this; The Wizard of Oz is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I don’t appreciate postmodernist retellings, but this one looks well-made (the winged monkeys are particularly well-designed) so I’m going to give it a look and then report my opinion later.

For more info, check here:

I watched the first part of this last night, and it was pretty interesting. Perhaps not a cinematic masterpiece but definitely entertaining. I’ll probably tune into the remaining parts.

They should use Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” as the soundtrack for this.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Side_of_the_Rainbow)

Aarrrgh, I forgot the second part of the series was on last night! But there’s still part three tonight. Besides, I’m sure they will rerun it soon. (Hey, it’s the Sci Fi channel. They rerun everything to death.)

Anyway, from the first part, I have to say that I like it so far. In particular, I find the production values good (for a TV miniseries) and the acting is good too. There are a couple of things that baffle me (DG’s parents are robots? WTH? And Dorothy certainly wasn’t related to the Wicked Witch.) Another thing that surprised me was that they made major revelations in the very first part- makes you wonder what’s left for the rest.

In general, I’d say the series is more an original story (though with lots of cliches) that uses Wizard of Oz trappings. It’s certainly not a Happy Fairy Tale! But it’s fun so far, more than many other shows on TV right now (though that’s not saying much…)

There will be a reshowing of last night’s episode at 7, followed by the new one at 9. They will also show all 3 back-to-back on Sunday.

I saw the first part, it was pretty interesting. I agree with Wil too, I was surprised at all the revelations that went on in it, and was wondering what they’re gonna do for the rest too. I’ve got part two recorded on DVR, so I’m about to go watch it.

True, I should have expected that from Sci-Fi. I’m watching part two right now. Thanks, Taran. :slight_smile:

Like they don’t have anything better to show, and yet they insist on keeping Saturday’s lineups as is during this.

Also, who here doesn’t find the fact that the witch keeps her flying monkeys in her bosom hilarious?

You know, I didn’t even think about that, and now that I did, I can’t stop laughing.

I’m gonna watch part 3 today.

Well, after seeing the complete series, I have to say that I liked it, but it wasn’t as great as I expected. Maybe it was because I felt part two dragged a bit. Also, who were the characters in the hidden city supposed to be? In OZ terms, I mean. I know that the OZ books go far beyond the one covered in the original movie, but I’m not familiar enough with the mythos to tell if they were original characters or not. (I did like the “Hindu Goddess” though. :stuck_out_tongue: )

On the other hand, I found the original touches, like DG being the Princess of OZ or Azkadelia being possessed by the real witch, to be for the better (even if cliched.) The acting and SFX carried the story for me. The flashes to the girls’ childhood really helped to get a feeling for them and their family; nice touch (and good acting from the kids, too.) :slight_smile: The only thing I can’t stand: they never explained how Glitch could survive, much less think, without his brain. Did he have a secondary brain? (Some animals do.) And WHY did he have to have a zipper on his head???
:thud:

All in all, a good miniseries to watch, as long as you don’t expect a 100% exact recreation of the book.

Btw, was it ever revealed that two of the characters in this Scifi mini series event were in fact Lesbian lovers?

For those of you who aren’t getting the general thrust of my question. I would suggest reading this Shortpacked! strip to get my meaning.

I was wondering how Glitch functioned without a brain too. Anyways, my overall opinion is about the same as Wil’s.

Also, I didn’t really like the way the very ending was. I don’t know, I kind of wanted to see what happened with everyone afterwards. Not a big deal though.

Yeah I agree, it kind of felt like they just dropped it at the end.

DG: Yay i’ve defeated the witch and got to keep my emotionally distant sister! :smiley:…so now what?

Credits roll. XP

About the ending, I think that either: A) they ran out of time for a proper ending or B) they are already planning a sequel. Or both.

I hope A. I was thoroughly unimpressed with Tin Man.

I dunno it wasn’t that much of a cliff hanger to make a sequil.

maybe a prequil though. like the events leading up to Tinman. :3

A sequel would be pretty cool.