Wild ARMs 4.

That’s probably true. I just remember WA3 having annoyingly high encounter rates, it’s been a long time since I even looked at WA1 and don’t remember the rates that well.

Alot of PS2 rpgs have annoyingly high encounter rates.

It was the combination of two factors: lack of healing items + lots of enemies = megasuck. I can deal with high encounter rates. I can deal with a lack of healing items (remember your first time through FFIX, when you never seemed to have hi-potions early enough? That’s a mild example). Together, though…

Prostitution: Fun and an excellent source of income.

I despise high encounter rates, personally. If I wanted battle ALL THE TIME, I would play an action game, really.

Val has asked me to pass a message on.

On the subject of random encounters:
You can turn off encounters entirely in WA4, if you do the right thing. See, they got rid of the Migrant Seal system. Instead, at the Individual Save Points in each Dungeon, you can cause what is called an Encounter Break. THis is usually done by hitting a switch somewhere on the same screen as the save point, or fighting a tough normal fight that’s “sealed” within the save point. Once you do either of these, the Encounter Break is turned on. You can then traverse the rest of the dungeon without fighting anymore normal fights if you wish.

I have to agree that WA3 wasn’t as good a game as the first two, but mainly because it didn’t measure up to its predecessors- the story wasn’t as good, the characters weren’t as involving, etc. By itself, however, it wasn’t that bad a game- I’ve certainly played much worse ones. Still, the game had some good innovations: all the characters used ARMs, and horses could be used for transportation- giving it more of a true “western” feeling. The fight scenes showing heroes and monsters running around (and even on horseback!) certainly looked more realistic that the vast majority of RPG’s.

Yup, and again, seems like they’re not releasing it in Europe.

I’m from Holland, and ever since I got Wild Arms 1 from a local video store I’ve been in love with the series. 2 was kind of dissapointing if you compare it to 1 and 3, but still fun. I absolutely loved the first one the most, still.

Now, a while ago they finally released Wild Arms: Alter Code F (Playstation2 remake of the original Wild Arms) and as I feared, it’s only going to be available in the US (and in Japan, but it was for years already). Now they’re doing the same with Wild Arms 4.

I feel screwed over and left out. ;_;

I think that all of the Wild Arms are better after playing them a second time. Wild Arms 3 seems to get the biggest boost after playing it a second time, while 2 gets the smallest. Some of the reasons that you appreciate Wild Arms 3 after is a second playthrough is you have more experience with it. The lack of healing items doesn’t seem as such a big loss now that you know what to do with them and you know each characters abilities so you can use their strengths more.

Hmmm…

Personally, I think I’m looking forward to trying WA4, and for one reason:

It doesn’t have the battle system of WA2. :stuck_out_tongue:

WA2 was the only one I’ve played, but from what I’ve heard, WA generally had the same combat system (or rather, it had the same system in that if you were at the proper level for the time, you could kill pretty much any normal enemy in one hit, making the combat system completely not-fun). WA4’s system looks rather interesting, and I’d like to try it. Also, I imagine maybe the localizations got better since WA2? :stuck_out_tongue: Yikes, WA2’s translation was so atrocious. Even if the plot isn’t very good (I heard they were all just as simple and corny as WA2, too), decent writing can salvage a mediocre plot, usually.

Also, hearing that the puzzles aren’t as ridiculous is nice, too. I remember one of the last dungeons in WA2 had me stuck for a week until I totally randomly stomped all over the dungeon and found a space on the floor you had to break to continue (completely random, btw - I had no idea I’d have to break something, I was just doing desperate nonsense). Yeah, I welcome simpler puzzles. WA4 sounds almost good at this point.

WA2’s translation was indeed atrocious. WA3 and WA:ACF weren’t really professional, but they were nowhere near as bad (WA3 in particular).

The puzzles were always the most fun of the WA games, in my opinion. 8-( I’m sad to see the tools go.

Personally, I appreciate that in a game. If I can level to the point where I don’t even have to try in battle, that means that I can get to the story faster. And if I levelled that much, it shows that I served my time in the battle system. Games where I have to spend 5-10 minutes per random battle even 50 hours in tend to bore me.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have minded if the story in WA2 was good, but it wasn’t. Also, you can supercede battles entirely in WA2 if you’re powerful enough, but you’re already strong enough to one-hit-kill the enemies at the point where you CAN’T avoid them. What’s the deal? Wild Arms just treats combat like a necesary evil, instead of finding ways to make it fast paced, challenging, and fun; and, on top of that, the story in WA2 wasn’t even GOOD. I think this is completely ridiculous. If you’re not gonna have one, you BETTER have the other…And the MORE important of the two is ALWAYS the battle system. Battle systems aren’t about ‘serving time’, it’s not a fucking prison; it’s the gameplay, and it better be at least passable.

I’m with you on that one. I didn’t like WA2.

What makes WA1 and WA3 different, though? I heard WA1 is just as corny and silly, and I heard that WA3 was just as easy…

I wouldn’t say WA1 is as corny as 2. 1 doesn’t focus so damn much on the idea of what makes a “Hero” and stuff. I don’t knwo what to say about 1 that won’t make it sound cliche, but I like that a lot. Also: Wild ARMs 1 wins for having what has to be one of the most obscure real world references I have ever seen in a game.

Wild ARms 3, I appreciated a lot. It was easy at times, yeah, but I played it more for the characters than anything else. The story could have had some work done on it, yeah, but I just love any group of adventurers where one guy’s philosophy is, “I have amnesia, but so what? It’s not like I need those memories, anyway. Just carry on day by day.”

WA1 was corny, but in a good way. It’s like the difference between “Son of a submariner!” and badly translated crap. The characters were also a lot more likeably in WA1 (WA2’s characters were terribly developed and the bad guys were all formulaic). Also, WA3 was nowhere near as easy as WA2, especially if you take the optional quests into account. There’s actually a hell of a lot of strategy required for battles, and it gets more challenging as you get further in. That’s not to say you’ll see Game Over screens every five minutes, but it does make you think.

Val: Which reference is that? And can it possibly be better than the WA3 reference to Schrodinger’s Cat? :sunglasses:

Remember De Le Metallica? The book used to infuse Life into Metal? It was an actual book. I will now turn this explanation over to my sister, who knows about the real world equivalent better than I do.

Hey and howdy!

De Re Metallica is a very detailed book on mining and metallurgy written by Georg Bauer, also known by his Latin name Georgius Agricola. He lived from 1494 through 1555, born in Saxony. He actually started out at the University of Leipzig, and teaching Latin and Greek; he then went to the University of Balogna, University at Padua, and University of Ferrara, at which he learned philosophy, medicine, and natural science.

From 1527-1530, however, he goes to work as a physician at a mining boomtown called Joachimstahl in Bohemia. While he’s there he learns quite a bit about mining and metal, and starts to gather information for a book. In 1530 he moves to Shemintz, where he works as the court historian and physician for Duke Maurice of Saxony. Maurice dies, at which point he’s serving his brother Augustus. During this time, the dukedom is at war, so Agricola got first-hand experience with weaponry. In 1546 he starts and publishes 6 pamphlets on mining, metallurgy and the like. In 1555, De Re Metallica (“On Metals”) went to press, dedicated to both dukes he has served. On November 21st of 1555 he dies; his book will come out 4 months later.

The book was an exceedingly complete (670 pages, 289 woodcuts) how-to guide on mining - how to find a vein, each part and process, every device and tool. Pumps, triangulation, a variety of answers to every problem, along with countless detailed pictures with fine perspective and needlessly ornate backgrounds (as one would have in the Renaissance). According to Agricola, you needed a wide array of talents to properly mine (again, another strong Renaissance manifestation): philosophy (to understand the origin and cause of the earth), medicine (in mining? Gasp!), astronomy (to locate veins - that is, with astrology, which was very much a science at the time. This is especially true since each of the 7 wandering stars of the age was aligned to a different metal), surveying (how deep and where to locate shafts), mathematics (to keep records), architecture and/or drawings (make detailed plans), and law (to protect one’s interests and to conduct a legal operation).

The importance of the book is clear in its speed of translation - the first edition is Latin, in 1556. In 1557 its first German edition is released, and in 1563 its first Italian edition is released. This book was sorely needed across much of Europe, and would remain popular for some time. The first English edition, however, is not released until 1912. Interestingly enough, the five-year translation period (1907-1912) by a mining engineer and his wife occurred in China, right after the Boxer Rebellion. This book was still something of a classic, and still had relevance, after all that time. And the man who translated it? Herbert Hoover. History is fun! :smiley:

This is all particularly appropriate as in Wild Arms De La Metallica is the book of living metals. At the time of De Re Metallica, metal was perceived as being alive as well, and largely anthropomorphised. Ore was perceived as growing, and better yet, ripening. There were cases where people would shut down silver mines because they found a vein of gold there too, and wanted to give the silver more time to mature into gold. The mineral kingdom was as much alive to them as the plant and animal kingdoms - it just matures and propagates at a much slower pace, that’s all.

I actually did know about that, believe it or not. 8p It came up in a technology course I took a few years ago. I just wasn’t sure which reference you were referring to. I do know that the translators completely missed it, as they did Jack’s last name (which should have been Vambrace).

Well bully for you, Cid. At least now other people know, too. I’m not sure how many people here both played Wild ARMs AND know about De Re metallica in the first place, but probably not many.

And now you know.