Wierd things in RPGs...

Originally posted by Phoenix Valkyrie
:ulty: All your base are belong to us.

Great, I wanted to mention that.

I gotta agree with Mr. Kramer here. One of the robots fires a laser that “causes nighttime stuffiness!” lol.

One of the most surreal things I can think of is the infamous “And that’s why…” line from WA3. Just remembering all the hubbub that grew around it here makes me chuckle every time I see it.

I’d also have to mention Alice’s Cotton Underwear halving all physical damage in Shadow Hearts. I still don’t know how that works.

Here’s one weird thing in RPGs…I once submitted it to a cliche list as “The Ignorance is Bliss Rule”.

Townsfolk will never even NOTICE the monters/demons/yetis/reformed villains/ect in your party, much less panic over them.

Take Chrono Trigger for example. I love the game, but does no-one find it a little odd that no-one in 600 AD notices when you’re walking around with MAGUS in your team? You know, the guy that terrorized them for years? Hell, even if he’s leading your party, the king talks about how you defeated him!

Originally posted by Phoenix Valkyrie
:ulty: All your base are belong to us.

That is a space shooter.

You know, I think one of them infected programs in Elecmans turf says “All your base are belong to us”, so it could be passed off as a freaky RPG happening…

Originally posted by DomaDragoon
One of the most surreal things I can think of is the infamous “And that’s why…” line from WA3. Just remembering all the hubbub that grew around it here makes me chuckle every time I see it.

You know nothing. For those of us who actually had to judge all of those AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL contest entries it’s a whole different story. Anytime someone suggest a ‘caption contest’ I have an uncontrollable urge to murder them with a rusty pickaxe.
To me…the weirdest thing in an RPG would have to be when an RPG actually has GOOD voice acting.

Are you telling the truth about that neo pheonix materia? I cried when Aeris died.

Originally posted by Videospirit
Are you telling the truth about that neo pheonix materia? I cried when Aeris died.

:thud:

Originally posted by Videospirit

1. Obviously not. Its Charlemagne.

2. Wow. You cried during what I felt was one of the least powerful and most poorly done death scenes ever. Interesting.

"It was mainly because She’d been in my party since the begginning of the game and all my other characters were really low levels and I liked her. It wasn’t really the scene that matters. And Charl a puppy choked on a lemon and died.

Yeah there wasn’t even any blood. Anywhere!

Anyway, one of the weirdest things I found, would be on Gradia, when you reach the top of the “End of the World” wall, and there are theses helicopter things, that pick you up, and throw you off the edge. I just remember thinking, “WTF? I just spent “days” (in game days) climbing that bloody thing!”

Originally posted by Yar Kramer
Yes, in terms of wierd, Earthbound wins, hands-down.

You got that right.

Originally posted by Heaven’s Soldier
Yeah there wasn’t even any blood. Anywhere!

Lack of blood has nothing to do with it being a bad death scene. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well to me, it made it unrealistic. There should have at least been some blood. But that scene was still very memorable.

Nobody would give half a shit about Aeris if she didn’t have the best limit breaks. Honestly, if she was an average character, I feel that people would just have shrugged it off as another death. Its “memorable” mainly because people are upset at losing one of their good party members, not because they are actually upset at her death. She, like most of the other characters in the game, were practically one dimensional in depth, making me not care about her.

And the reason the death scene itself was bad- well… it mainly because of the swiftness of the actual death. The fact that they pretty much dismiss her death like, five minutes after they bury her is another factor in why its a bad scene. The only person it affected was Cloud, and I think that Sephiroth’s OTHER little head games were messing with him much more than her death (which was, if you think about it, just one of his many head games).

The resurrection rumor isn’t entirely false. Although you can’t bring her back, the programmers were working on something where you could at least talk to her ghost. On the 3rd disk, visit the church in Midgar. If you pay close attention, you can see a flickering image of Aeris for a few brief moments. That’s a glitch in the game where they removed all the unfinished coding for some special scene thing where Cloud was supposed to talk to Aeris’ spirit for whatever reason. Since the game was already late being released, they had to finish it up real quick, thus it lost a lot of extra things that they never finished. The 3rd disk was rushed, there was also supposed to be a 4th.

Though it would suck badly if Aeris had been able to be resurrected. She died, it had it’s impact on the game and characters, thus why the hell and not to mention how would it make any sense for her to be resurrected?

Yeah. No shit the third disk was rushed. The end was poorly done and the ending was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

And yet for some reason I still like the game… meh.

Originally posted by Cloth Hat
When hallucinating…Barney the dinosaur hits

>>
<
<
hides the LSD

One line, and I don’t think I need to site the game, “I, Garland, will knock you all down.”