Why must DS RPGs be so watered down?

Ok, I admittedly haven’t played very many, but the ones I’ve played seemed to have over simplified stories and overly Americanized dialogue. Is it because the DS is seen as a child’s system, so the story and dialogue must always be catered to them? Some of you may disagree, but I notice the tone of console RPGs and DS RPGs to extremely different.

You know what’s cool, is examples.

You know, SG. Like that one with the guy? Oh, man. That one sucked. It like… had simplistic dialogue and stuff. There was a cute animal or something and that made me angry!

Examples. Are. For. PUSSIES.

Like I said, I haven’t played many DS RPGs. I’m basing this off of only a couple. The first few minutes of Suikoden Tierskes (sp) makes me think it’s going to like FFTA after FFT.

Ok, you know what? I admit defeat. This is a failed topic. Delete and/or forget.

Tierkreis didn’t get the best reviews. What do you mean by americanised dialogue (because localisation is a good thing)?

As a counter-example, go play Etrian Odyssey :mwahaha:

If you’re referring to Tierkreis’s voiced dialog, that was far more of a compression issue rather than the quality of the actors.

FFTA2 on the other hand is a pretty crappy game. The whole bloody game is nothing but a massive timesink. There really isn’t anything fulfilling about the game either.

Yeah, Suikoden Tierkreis is a pretty bad game. I will admit, though: while the story does start out pretty crappy, Suikoden Tierkreis is perhaps the only game that starts out shitty and gradually gets better as you play through, as opposed to the opposite which usually happens. Still, it never gets so good that I’d say it’s worth it. It’s very much the pinnacle of mediocrity, in my opinion.

Tierkris and FFTA/2 are shit. The DS has a lot of good RPGs, though mainly remakes with a few other gems. DQIV,V and soon VI and IX. TWEWY, remakes of FFIII and IV are debatable, but I liked IV. Contact and a few others.

There are a lot of games on the DS and with that, a lot of shit. 2009 was a terrible year for the DS.

What about the VP and SMT games? Plus I’m pretty sure M&L3 wasn’t terrible either.

Also didn’t Knights in the Nightmare come out during 2009 too. In fact aside from DQs V and IX none of the other games you named came out in 2009. I would say that its been a so-so year for the DS. Not the worst but not the best.

Also also hey, congrats on your 110th hundredth post Sin.:sin:

Yeah, I already retracted my argument. I remember Rondo of Swords, Luminous Arc, Etrian Odyssey and Izuna (2) being well written and not as Americanized.

By Americanized, I mean the dialogue reads and is acted like a Saturday Morning cartoon.

I’m so waiting for a Thomas Pynchon rpg. It’ll be the first game where 3/4s of the rumours you hear will never turn into quests.

M&L3 was one of the most fun things I’ve ever played. Awesome, solid game.

Ok, so I’ve amassed a small yet formidable library of DS games and I completely and totally retract everything I thought about the system. The games I do have I’ve enjoyed immensely and I’m now taking the system more seriously and actually following future releases.

Rune Factory has some of the worst translations ever, but it’s one of the best RPGs I’ve played in a LONG-ASS time. It’s like Harvest Moon but with way better music and you get to spend the money you make farming on weapons and actually fight monsters. The only downside is that you sometimes have to farm those monsters for materials, but you could probably easily get through the game without even doing that.