Why is ff6 so good?

I’m sorry, but I don’t see it. I don’t see how ff6 is best game there is, or even the best ff. I’m not een sure you can call a game “the best” of a series like ff. Every game is rather different iun some way or another. Yet picking one, while ff6 is a good game, it just doesn’t seem to live up to it’s reputation to me. The character’s have some development, but usually only when you first recruit them. the plot is really just a bit of an excuse to make you continually fight the enemy. the main villain has no real drive to be evil and such, he’s merely doing it to be insane. The magic learning system and all is nice, yet nothing really speacial or anything, and leveling up is leveling up. And when you get to the second part of the game, umnlewss you’re using a guide you can be completely lost in the non-lineur part of it. rarely do ciilians tell you where to go to find things, you’re just stumbling along for the most part. Now maybe that sounds a bit harsh, and I don’t hate the game, it is good, but I don’t see how it is the best, and I think it’s just a lot of favouritism.

Paging Arac to thread 442086… paging Arac to thread 442086 thank you.

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=19753&page=5 Check around Post #140 (By Arac) and forward. There’s an argument that touches that subject although it’s more centered in Chrono Trigger.

I know what you mean. There are a lot of good things about FF6, a lot of cool characters, spells…etc. But I felt they made the game too easy. With all of those relics which make your characters god-like and all. I really didn’t like Kefka very much either. He was quite sorry for a boss. I mean, he’s the only boss I’ve ever been able to charm and then he kills hiimself.
http://geocities.com/shotestack/pics/cheap.bmp

Well, yeah, the game was far too easy, but that’s what hacks are for! There’s a hardtype hack floating around Zophar’s Domain. I’ll tell you, I forgot to buy potions and Fenix Downs and now I’m stuck in the Magitek Lab. (I’m so ashamed)

You can charm Kefka? I’ll have to try that.

Yes, you can charm him. Not with muddle though. It is another spell.

I also wasn’t aware of being able to charm Kefka.

And for some odd reason I’ve been speaking in 1337 on the main forums quite a bit. Usually in threads that have no hope.

I still stick to FF4 being the best FF(IMO). I like the characters and a lot of other things about the game. Though at first it was just rabid fanboyism, now that I am much older than I was when I first played FF4 easytype(FF2 US), I actually would be able to put up a more compelling argument.

http://rpgclassics.com/subsites/ff6anniversary/

When did you first play it? Because at the time, FF6 was revolutionary. It still is…to people that lived through that. The point that you’re missing is that FF6 was one of the rpg’s to make what we play today…if you start playing all of this new type shit that came out in the last few years, and then jumped back to FF6, sure yeah, it’ll look kind of pathetic. But I tend to think of FF6 as one of those games that spawned all of that new type, and helped further the rpg genre in general.

The character’s have some development, but usually only when you first recruit them.

I argued that too, in an old thread, saying that FF6’s character development exists in the mind of the players. And it does. But come on, this is super nintendo we’re talking about.

the plot is really just a bit of an excuse to make you continually fight the enemy

And uh, Final Fantasy 7 wasn’t? Final Fantasy 10 wasn’t? Isn’t the point to actually confront the enemy? Why do you have a problem with this?

The magic learning system and all is nice, yet nothing really speacial or anything, and leveling up is leveling up.

Is all nice compared to the super duper fancy magic systems that are out today because years after FF6 and its brothers came out they couldn’t keep relying on the old system so they had to keep changing it? Oh wait, maybe that’s why it’s not special…come to think of it, I can’t think of another game that has the same magic system as FF6! Imagine that. Is the sky blue in your world too?

the main villain has no real drive to be evil and such, he’s merely doing it to be insane.

He’s only doing it to be insane? Like the plot is only an excuse to fight the enemy? Well at least he doesn’t want to take over the world or destroy it. That’s not overdone or anything.

And when you get to the second part of the game, umnlewss you’re using a guide you can be completely lost in the non-lineur part of it

No see, back then, nobody had use for guides. We had fun just playing and not getting frustrated when the plotline wasn’t completely mapped out for us.

and I don’t hate the game, it is good, but I don’t see how it is the best, and I think it’s just a lot of favouritism.

Like Final Fantasy 7? Like Chrono Trigger? I think you have your expectations set way too high. What kind of amazing shit do YOU play?

I always liked FF4 better.

If you’re gonna argue that ff6 was what made all of the rpgs oif today what they are, I have to laugh at you. No one game ever did that. The whole process has been a gradule formation from every game that’s come out. Some might have more influence, yet nothing started a huge production of the new generation rpgs. If anything, all it was, was just the first game to statrt combining past concepts in a fancy new way.

I argued that too, in an old thread, saying that FF6’s character development exists in the mind of the players. And it does. But come on, this is super nintendo we’re talking about.

What does the super Nintendo have to do with character development. ff4 had some very nice character development in it in comparison, even Chrono triggar had some moments of character development. ff6 had next to nothing, and they could’ve done alot more.

And uh, Final Fantasy 7 wasn’t? Final Fantasy 10 wasn’t? Isn’t the point to actually confront the enemy? Why do you have a problem with this?

First, no, the plot of ff7 or ff10 wasn’t there just to fight things. ff7 had a plot of filled with revenge, trying to find the truth of oneself, the nature of the planet’s exsistence, and some other junk. ff10 was about the love of two people from different worlds, finding corruption in what we might think is normal life and politics, and a person futile journey to go home. ff6, just had, fight the war, fight the bad guy, etc. get an airship so we can fight the bad army, get new people so wer can fight the bad army, get back to the base so we can fight the bad guy.

Is all nice compared to the super duper fancy magic systems that are out today because years after FF6 and its brothers came out they couldn’t keep relying on the old system so they had to keep changing it? Oh wait, maybe that’s why it’s not special…come to think of it, I can’t think of another game that has the same magic system as FF6! Imagine that. Is the sky blue in your world too?

Actually, i’ll take back what i said about the magic system. the learning and etc, was a unique new way. ywet at the same time, since it hasdn’t been used again, you can’t call it revolutionary, cause it didn’t really change other things.

He’s only doing it to be insane? Like the plot is only an excuse to fight the enemy? Well at least he doesn’t want to take over the world or destroy it. That’s not overdone or anything.

What i mean by that is that, he has no plot to destroy the world. He’s just insane. He doesn’t have a reason, he’s just doing it. that’s stupider than doing it for an overdone reason.

No see, back then, nobody had use for guides. We had fun just playing and not getting frustrated when the plotline wasn’t completely mapped out for us.

So you had fun playing and not gettinmg anywhere. after hours of playing and walkin around and fighting, you didn’t get a little ticked off that the game wasn’t progressing and you didn’t have anyway to know where to go?

Like Final Fantasy 7? Like Chrono Trigger? I think you have your expectations set way too high. What kind of amazing shit do YOU play?

first, what I’m saying is that I don’t see why so many people say it’s amazing, but at the same time, that it is a good game. I’ll let ff7 go cause it does have an unfair amount of biased favouritism, yet Chrono trigger is a great game for the right reasons that deserves it’s praise. Maybe I am setting my expectations a bit high, or maybe they wouldn’t be set so high if everyone didn’t say that “This game is the best game ever”

It’s also an opinion, Pink Lugia. And one thing that is just absolutely pointless to argue is opinions on which video games are better, because the opposing side always looks for concrete reasons, and that’s simply not always the case when it comes to personal preference. Because that’s often all it boils down to… personal preference.

But go ahead, turn this into a flame war if that’s what you really want…>_>

Actually when i made this thread I was kinda in the mood for a sorts of flame war. If anything, I just think the game needs to be knocked down a notch or two. As much as personal preference can go, I still think that it does not deserve to be the best rpg.

Actually, you knew where to go as soon as you got the airship. You had to go kill Kefka. All that hours of playing and walking around fighting is all side stuff. You don’t have to do it to beat the game, so I don’t see how you can get so lost.

true, it is side stuff, But I’m the kinda gamer that likes side stuff, at least to the point of getting the party I’d want to fight kefka with. I could not find locke. at all. where is he supposed to be, I don’t know, hoiw you’re supposed to easily find him without a guide, You’re a better ff6 player than me.

I think that’s exactly what she said, FF6 was the first one to use that kind of battle system, which is mimicry with small changes (Materia in FF7, Weapons in FF9, etc) by thousands of other games. Sure, if FF6 hadn’t used that system it still might have come up somewhere else, but the fact is that FF6 WAS the one to come up with it, and it’d be perfectly rational to give it credit for being a pretty bigass link in the evolutionary chain.

Like I said, there are quite a few battle systems based off FF6, with FF9 (And therefore, FFTA) right at the top of the list being borderline carbon copies.

When you crack it down, all villains who want to destroy the world get that goal after they loose their marbles coughkujacough and at least Kefka makes it a somewhat charismatic way. The guy does things because he is genuinely batshit fucking loco and while that may be stupid for your liking, it is a pretty original reason that deviates from the usual “If I can’t have it nobody will! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!” last-minute craziness.

No, really, was it that hard to figure out you had to go to the fucking tower? It’s called “Kefka’s Tower” for christ’s sake! And if you mean the innumerable sidequests to find your companions and get new stuff, none of them were hard to do and doing things by yourself is something 90% of gamers very much enjoy instead of following instructions on a paper/screen.

Finding Locke used an almost lost system based on what was once called “hints”. A townsperson mentions that the emperor got a portrait done and it was in the town’s mansion. Now, NPCs either say useless crap or give hints, and an experienced player checks any possible hint. If you had checked that portrait you would have gotten a clue to look for the star-shaped mountains, would have entered the Phoenix’s subquest and found Locke. If you can’t figure out these things, then yeah, we are better players than you.

If you read that thread I posted above, you’ll see plenty of arguments for why neither game is so much better than the other. It may sound ridiculous since I was the one arguing that CT was better than FF6, but Arac makes some good points too. And compared to many of it’s contemporaries, yes, FF6 is one of the greatest games ever made.

Fucking <font size=“7”>CHILDREN.</font>

FF6 isn’t something that’s logically good. You can’t look at shit like character developement and story and the bad guy’s motives. FF6 is simply the best just because, and you just don’t question it, FUCKERS!

I’m only kidding. But seriously, you can’t look back on FF6 now and wonder why it was good. You had to be hit in the fucking face by it during the golden age of SNES gaming when everything it did was new and all you had to compare it to was FF4 which it frankly blew the fuck out of the water.

It was the best of the best back then, and if you were around at the time that your primary console could be the SNES, you wouldn’t question it. You’d just KNOW why, and understand that most of us didn’t play it just ONCE, or THREE TIMES, but thoroughly MASTERED it several. It’s not a game you look back on and say, “Ahhhh, good old… wait who am I talking about again?” It’s game where, in 40 years, you’ll be “Ahhh, good old Locke and his Ragnarok and his Genji equipment and the killing and the offering and the 8 hits and the Kefka dying and the ahh I wish I could play that again…”

FF6 is fucking <font size=“7”>ZEN.</font>

I love when I agree with Hades, because I can just focus on other arguments and be calm knowing he’ll do the emotional “Now you listen to me!” routine for me.

Okay, first, Eva’s right about FFVI spawing much of the modern rules of RPGS. The ATB system, in every final fanatsy (I don’t know about X2, but other than that) after it, for example. Do you know what game Bethesda (Morrowind fame) says there main influence is? Ever final fantasy after six was basically a part of six remade with differences (FFVII had the rebellion storyline with switched personalities, materia instead of relics, etc.), which means every rip-off of any of the recent FF games is FFVI influenced. Also, it’s graphics weren’t amazing, even in it’s day; it reminded people that pretty pictures didn’t make games fun. It’s characters have also been ripped off to the point where they now sound cliche, even though they were basically original at the time. No, Locke was not the first gold-hearted, trust valuing thief, who was willing to sacrifice everything for the woman he loved, but it certainly wasn’t overdone.
FFVI had two different kinds of character development. The first is that it let people decide things about the characters. To point out an example from literature, some of the characters in Catch-22 are never well-described, because the author wanted to make them up. Many ‘develpoed’ characters end up only mechanical, and unhuman, something the minour, intentional underdevelopment of FFVI avoided. Second, it used literary devices (you could argue they’re more cinematic, but I talked about that elsewhere, and won’t argue it here), the scene with Celes’ thoughts of suicide. I’ve explained that one (I believe,) in another topic. If not, I’ll explain it here later.
FFVI was also not ‘just to fight things,’ at least not in the sense that you mean it. It may seem strange, but in all real-life military revolutions, and stories of such revolutions, there’s a lot of fighting. Why? If you want to depose a government, and it doesn’t want to be deposed, chances are, asking nicely isn’t going to do the trick. So, in the theme of a revolution, I would consider it much more stupid not to fight often. Now, also, I’m not sure how much attention you were paying during FFVI, but it also conatins people trying to find themselves (mostly Terra), revenge (almost all of the characters have some reason to take revenge on the Empire), lovers (Locke and Celes, and a General and a thief-- they may as well be from different worlds), and they were all trying not to find their way home, but to get their homes back, which is, in terms of writing, a much more powerful concept. They aren’t at home in their own lands.
Now, the magic system was not used again because FFVI came before a large technical revolution that allowed a newer, supposedly better system to be used.
My main confusion on your theory about Kefka is that you claim insanity is not a reason, yet, if you look at the world, insanity has been the main reason of most of it’s ‘attrocities.’ Hitler was insane, he made up a secondary reason, but that was because he was insane. Charlie manson is insane. See where I’m going with this? The most ‘evil’ people, in real life and fiction, you’ll notice rarely have what you call a ‘reason.’ The less rational someone is, the scarier. If a villain hates all blonde people, he’ll kill blondes. If a villain is a madman, no one is safe.
No, we had fun actually having to think to figure out what to do. I like games that make me think, and love open-ended games. Also, it was a nice advantage; sometimes, you want to advance the plot, make progress, etc. Others, at least this fits me, you just want to fucking kill things. Once, when angry, I went up about twently levels in one day, cos I jsut tapped the left and right buttons on an enemy-laden map and watched happily as they died.
I personally believe FFVI to be a much better game than either Chrono Trigger or FFVII. FFVII is, at least it seems to be every time I’ve played it, FFVI with a couple of the elements I really enjoyed taken out, and fancier graphics put in. As SE, and somebody else said, I made my arguments against Chrono trigger in another thread. An interesting point is that it has all the same problems as you attack in FFVI, only to greater degrees, from my view, and sometimes from fact. I also have more arguments I never stated in that thread, and other points that I won’t bring up yet, because the Essay contest hasn’t been judged yet, and I’d rather not reveal which essay I was by stating its points about why FFVI is great.

No you haven’t, so fork it over.

Well, I tried.

Have fun.