Who plays FFXI?

I just got it a couple days ago. I’m very slowly learning about it. It’s my first MMO. I’m Dragonsrevenge, a Mithra monk, currently at level 3. If anyone wants to gimme a hand sometime, or just hang out there let me know.

Might help to tell which of the like 20 servers you’re on.

The Server’s are Summon’s from other FF Games, I’ve Played on Alexander (FF9’s Castle Summon FMV), Borrowing a L70 Summoner/Whitemage of a friend. But:

and:

I can’t play at all.

yeah, I realized that when I got to work. I’m not sure which server, but I’m in Windhurst.

That doesn’t help much since each server has a Windurst… I think most of the regulars here have been in Windurst.

Pandemonium?

Did they fix:

~target LOCK-ON
~lack of jumping
~leather thongs on guys
~extreme music for fighting rabbits
~slow boring grind

No?

Dang… Nope, I guess I won’t be reactivating my account any time soon then.

~target LOCK-ON: ‘*’ turns it off, or you can turn it off in options (that just about says it all)
~lack of jumping: wrong genre
~leather thongs on guys: edit the .dat files if you’re that much of a phobe
~extreme music for fighting rabbits: use your own music if you don’t like it
~slow boring grind: it’s not slow and boring if you don’t suck

75 THF, Titan

~lack of jumping: wrong genre
You mean MMORPG? Yeah, forgive me if I’d like to have a little more depth when it comes to exploring an MMO world than “omg water, I can’t swim!”

~leather thongs on guys: edit the .dat files if you’re that much of a phobe
I’m not a phobe, it just looks silly. But after that I’d like to complain about how every class looks very very similar for a long time. Leather wearers all look the same, armor wearers too… Not enough outfits. Gimmie more armor!

~extreme music for fighting rabbits: use your own music if you don’t like it
I like it, but battle music in an MMORPG is repetitive and dumbs down the mood. Not to sound like a fanboy but WoW does a great job with its music. The music is primarily ambient and on occasion when it truly enchances the experience you get a nice overture like when you walk through the gates of Stormwind or enter the ship area of Dead Mines. (if you havent played wow, this prolly won’t make sense though, sorry.)

~slow boring grind: it’s not slow and boring if you don’t suck
I agree. It only gets slow when you are forced to make parties past level 20 in order to do any grinding. Like, the damn rabbits in the Desert area after the Elvaan city (its been a while so the location names arent in my mind anymore).

The other point is, an MMORPG shouldnt have a good pace ONLY for those who “don’t suck”. A game that makes its money on getting more people to play each month should have a good hook and entertaining reason to play.

Then again, I tend to not like farming items and exp for hours and hours just to gain the ability to grind in a higher level place for more unending hours…

Last time I played, the only alternative to the grind was this terrible competition battlegroundish thing where two teams would… yes… grind monsters to see who could get more flags or some shit faster. I don’t remember the specifics.

In any case, the game is pretty. Still one of the best “looking” mmorpgs on the market. Unfortunately, that alone does not keep a game afloat in america. It might work in Korea (look at the shitty Lineage series for example) but not here, where we have taste and expectations.

Stop talking.

No you.

What the fuck hacks.

Yeah, forgive me if I’d like to have a little more depth when it comes to exploring an MMO world than “omg water, I can’t swim!”

I haven’t played any other MMO’s (nor will I, hopefully), but I guess that’s a flaw in FFXI if you can jump and swim in the others. I do know there are hundreds of areas, and it would take weeks to explore them all. If exploration is your thing, there’s at least ten times more game world to explore than any console RPG I’ve ever played.

(re: subligar) it just looks silly…every class looks very very similar for a long time.

Not until you get your AF Armor can you really differentiate between all the classes. And even then, there’s better gear usable by many jobs, and that’s what you see. But, I always wear my THF pants around so people know I’m a THF.

I like it, but battle music in an MMORPG is repetitive and dumbs down the mood.

Battle music in almost every RPG is ridiculous. It’s like there’s always three songs: normal battles (which you end up listening to 75% of your playtime), boss battles, and the final battle. FFXI does use different battle music depending on if you’re solo or in party, and also which area you are in (expansion areas have new music). But I agree, it’s still not enough, but that can be said for most RPGs (apparently WoW is an exception). Earthbound is still the only RPG I’ve played to get variety in battle music right!

It only gets slow when you are forced to make parties past level 20 in order to do any grinding.

Pretty sure I’ve read your FFXI rants before. I don’t particularly care to level, but I enjoy myself when I do (if that makes any sense). I’d say at least 90% of my parties have been decent, even Dunes parties or Qufim or Jungle. SE doesn’t want you to progress alone, and apparently they don’t want your money if you don’t want to play with others. Take the hint for what it is - doesn’t mean it’s a “flaw”, just means they’d rather you buy their console games, I guess.

an MMORPG shouldnt have a good pace ONLY for those who “don’t suck”.

I disagree. The people who suck are weeded out of FFXI. Well I can’t say that with a straight face! There are plenty of people who are bad players, gil buyers who don’t know their jobs, etc., but I think SE has somewhat retained a quality player base because of the difficulty of the game.

A game that makes its money on getting more people to play each month should have a good hook and entertaining reason to play.

There’s so much I’d like to do in game, but I’d have to drop out of school AND quit my job to do it. I don’t think you ever experienced a good linkshell, and enjoyed progressing together, helping each other, and sharing triumphs together. This opens the door for crafting, hordes of group activities, the desire to level a second job with friends, endgame, HNM, dynamis, and on, and on and on…

Then again, I tend to not like farming items and exp for hours and hours just to gain the ability to grind in a higher level place for more unending hours…

I didn’t know how much time was involved with the levelling grind when I started playing. Took me, I dunno, a year and a half to hit level 75. I played at my own pace, farmed at my own pace, cancelled my char for 2-3 months a couple times when I was busy with other things, etc. It’s tough starting out, but once you get going, it’s not that bad. But really the key is to find a good linkshell. Without the people, the game would be unplayable.

only alternative to the grind was this terrible competition battlegroundish thing where two teams would… yes… grind monsters to see who could get more flags or some shit faster.

No, it’s called ballista, it’s PVP, capture the flag kind of thing. You don’t fight mobs, unless a Beastmaster sics his pet on you. I’ve never done it, not interested. If I wanted PVP I wouldn’t play FFXI, that’s for sure.

Unfortunately, that alone does not keep a game afloat in america.

FFXI is doing very well in North America. I haven’t looked up any stats recently, but it was number one for awhile, and the server population isn’t much lower than it was at its peak (probably ps2 release). The graphics for the XBox 360 version of FFXI (spring '06) look twice as amazing, and the XBox release will probably bring in another influx of players. They are also focusing on more lower level content with the next expansion which might address some of your complaints.

I don’t play much anymore, maybe once or twice a week, and I don’t do scheduled events. I started grad school and with work there’s no way I can keep up with the endgame stuff…and honestly I don’t like scheduling my life around a game; you need scheduled events to gather 20-60 people together for raids. Unfortunately the MMORPG genre caters to and rewards the people who play the most, but I guess given the financial model that’s inevitable.

While reading that I did recall many things that I enjoyed about the game. One of which being the houses. I loved having my own house, and although I did not have much gil, I still got a few items to put on my walls and a desk and plant too… It made me feel like I “had” somthing in the world besides a suit of armor and weapons.

The other part I liked was the class system. My only beef with it was that getting a class to 30 only to use it as a subclass kinda bugged me. I suppose it wasn’t so bad because I went PLD/WAR and thus had to level warrior to 30 ANYWAY to get the paladin class unlocked.

I can see your points about SE’s choice to make the game “multiplayer or die” in a sense, but I still feel that it has an innate design flaw for the potential gamers (and there are a lot of them) who’d rather solo.

The world is pretty, and for all conventional purposes I can accept that jumping would serve no true purpose in FFXI (same as swimming, due to the boats and such). But I’ve grown used to games that allow a little more exploration.

A good example was when I first tried Guild Wars… My thoughts were as follows:
“Wow, this game sure is pretty… Huh, combat is kinda fun… Wow, look at all this pretty water… bumps into water… um… Oh wow, rocks and stuff, terrain looks nice…! gets stuck on a rock no higher than my shin Right… I’m a warrior who can slay demons but a rock blocks my path… God damnit.” and I turned off the game, never to play it again.

Fluidity in movement, exploration, and gameplay are essential for me. I’m not trying to say WoW is perfect (nor really compair it to FFXI or guildwars) but it does have the things I have always wanted in an MMORPG since my Everquest days. Along with a whole lot more…

Have you heard about beastmasters?

Did you know they look like shit? Besides, forcing a player to choose ONE class if they desire to solo is lame. Not only that, but you have to unlock that class, you cant do it from the get-go.

WoW
gg step off nub

You can also solo as Summoner. It merely takes a bit more effort.

Nonsense, tarutaru beastmasters are cute!

I’ve done it. I played as high Level Summoner, White mage, Sky, She had all the summons. If you start Summoning when you planning to attack. Little worries. Your summon is will attack and one I know can heal if you ask.

Going Physical with weak Fiends with Carbunkle is easier than others.

Did you ever play BST? No? Ok. If you don’t want to play a game that forces you to interact with a community, then go play WoW, RO, or any of the other games that cater to that.

Also, it’s not slow. Sorry your parties suck. My latest parties have been pulling at the absolute worst 6k/hr. Generally 8-8.5k/hr. That’s a level every 2 hours, and that’s with my 62 BRD. End game, you can pull in closer to 10k/hr, and it’s only around 40k tnl then.

And I’m 73WHM (retired pretty much, level it through ENMs and stuff now), 62BRD, 51BLM, and a bunch of other stuff.

And Lockejv basically said everything exactly right.

(Also, get the hell back on FFXI TD >:O)