Which FF Character Do You Most Admire?

Hmm… Terra and Celes went through some rough times, trying to come to terms with what they were and who they’d been. Ramza fought against half of Ivalice to stop the Lucavi, even though there were plenty of people trying to kill him. I admire the three, for their courage and preserverance.

I agree with what you say about Auron, he really does make you feel like you’ve got something big to hang on to. And about Ramza too, obviously.

I cannot really respect Yuna too much. Her resolve is admirable, but as she herself admitted, she just chose her path because that’s what she was taught she should do. It’s as if she fears having to decide what to do with her life even more than dying. I’ve never been able to respect anyone who just “goes with the flow” without at the very least trying to find another path (Like Tidus and Auron, despite the latter’s failure).

You are going to laugh here: I really have to respect Kuja. He’s a genocidal monster, true, but there’s the fact that he was created for that purpose only. Even then he tried to go beyond himself against a seemingly almighty master and manipulated his way subtly enough that Garland didn’t realize until it was too late. Of course he’s no role model, but he was an incredibly good manipulator and tactician, even if he failed due to a certain detail he had no way of knowing.

Now that I think about it, I suppose you could put Delita in the same boat as him, but I am reluctant to. Delita pretty much strategically kissed ass until he was in a high enough position to start pulling strings, and his situation wasn’t even remotely as critical as Kuja’s.

As for the emulation, I’d go for Zidane. He’s the same as Tidus, only a bit smarter, more successful at cheering people up and capable of being beautifully poetic at times.

I don’t admire Yuna for going on the quest; I admire her for continuing it until the very end, despite what she learns. There’s a difference. I detest people who blindly follow a path.

I think I admire Cara/Krile from FF5. Despte her being very young she is very powerful and saves your party’s asses many times. She is brave enough to fight on the front lines of the army against X-Death and when her grandfather dies she manages to continue on and join you in a direct assault on X-Death.

Take a wild guess. :mwahaha:
^^

Okay, I think I’ll take a page form Cala’s book and go a bit more in-depth about my respect/admiration for characters.

The problem is that I have so many people I do respect, it’s hard to narrow the list down. But I guess I’ll try.

I respect: Auron. Anyone who will come back from the dead to fulfill a promise to his two best friends, and watch over their kids for them, is awesome in my bnook. The best part about him, though, was the fact that he didn’t want to remain undead/sent. As soon as his job was done, he would happily die once more, and finally lay to rest. And for an Undead, he was amazingly… human. he had emotions, and while he was a levelheaded person, he would show anger, or sadness, and occasionally happiness. It was great. He’s who I respect the most.

Admire: I honestly admire Rosa Farrell Harvey the most. She became a White Mage, just like her mother did, to help the one she loved. And her love was a dark knight, a man steeped in evil, though maybe not evil himself. He was afraid to commit himself to her while he was a Dark knight, for fear of hurting her. When he left on a dangerous journey, she came after him. She healed his wounds in battle, and contributed herself. (She had a pretty good attack, for a mage.) And throughout it all, she was the perfect example of a White Mage - kind, compassionate, but with a strong will. She never left Cecil’s side, and believed in him always.

I’d also like to note she was possibly the first, and definitely the last real White Mage character in the series. After 4, there weren’t any more. 5, 6 & 7 let anyone learn white magic, so no real white mages there. I don;'t know about 8, but considering there’s no real magic in that, either, I doubt there’s one in there. And 9 & 10, you have Summoners with white magic as a secondary ability. Those don’t count. So Rosa’s the last of a noble line. A pity.

Who’s my Role Model? That’s hard to say… To be honest, my Role Model isn’t from a FF game. Gustave the XIII, Lord of Finney, from Saga Frontier 2 is my role model. A man born without Anima in a world where even a rock has Anima, he was ostracized and scorned throughout his childhood. But learning to master the Steel Sword, he became Ruler of his homeland and much more, creating what would have been a grand empire. He never bore animosity towards those with Anima (that’d be hard, anyway, since everyone had it…), and overcame barriers in his way with the help of his close friends and advisors. That’s my Role Model.

Who I emulate: Tidus. I’m happy, energetic, not really all that smart - though I do have some moments of insight - and I hate to keep doing something just because “there’s no other way”. Oh, and I’m stubborn as a mule, too.

I like Laguna (8). He’s a kidder, but a good, chivalrous person.
Same deal with Zidane (despite the fact that he is a thief).
I like Ramza’s rightousness
Auron’s all-out coolness and wiseness

And Valkyrie Esker, Eiko had the horn but her trance was double white. plus, she only had a few summons, so she’s predominately a white mage.

Well, she did have a summoner’s horn, which makes here more summoner than white mage.

If I were to give only one character in FFV the White Mage class and only that, would he/she be a white mage? No, because that’s only an ability. it’s not part of his/her character. It doesn’t affect the story at all. And in FFIX, white magic had no bearing on their characters - only the summoning aspect had bearing. Thus, they are technically Summoners with White Magic ability. Same for Yuna in FFX.

[STRIKE]But (again) despite being a summoner in the story, her summoning is VERY secondary to her white magic such as Full-Life and Holy. I almost never used Madeen since Holy was cheaper and almost as strong, the only truly useful Summoner skill she has is Phoenix’s random auto-revive.[/STRIKE]

Late.

Mine would have to be cloud from final fantasy 7, i totally admire the little man with the huge sword, plus i love the hair.

Uhh… why would you admire Cloud? Because I’d like to point out he is totally nucking futs. The greatest mercy you could grant that poor bastard would be to shoot him in the head while he sleeps. Because his life is fucked up, he has no one he can rely on as a safe anchor for his unstable mental state, He’s still wanted as a terrorist, and can’t even really be sure about what is real anymore. Oh, and have I mentioned the severe mako poisoning he experienced from falling into the Lifestream?

I could write a fucking PAPER on how Cloud is a danger to everyone, including himself.

First off, this thread is who do you admire, not who is the best character, and second, i said said i like him for his ability to use a huge sword seeing how he is very, well, not big, and his hair. I dont give a crap about anything else. Also, i dont care if you can write a paper on how cloud is dangerous to every one…thats stupid, he is a freakin vido game chartacter, get over it.

By the end of Advent Children he sort of gets over all that, coming to terms with his guilt (Zack & Aeris), making peace with his enemies (Rufus & The Turks), finally accepting help from his friends (Mainly Tifa & Vincent, but the rest chip in too) and kicking the crap out of people (Kadaj & Sephiroth) to let off whatever steam he had left. Overall, he attains the level of mental stability of a normal human being. I still liked it when Tifa and Marlene verbally bitchslapped him though.

In-Game Cloud is a different story. That guy is fucked up in a level comparable to Fei Fong Wong.

About Nighmare: If you’ve never seen him post, you can try and explain it to him just to see what you can expect in the future. My advice is to shut up and let him say what he wants, otherwise you’ll just be wasting your time.

Oh well, i like him for his big sword, and his cool spikey hair, thats all, i dont like him for anything else. To hell with the rest for all i care.

You said the magic phrase, nightmare. You LIKE him for his sword and hair. That’s drastically different from admiring him.

I never said anything about him being the best or worst character. I’m only saying why I think it’s not very smart to admire Cloud at all, let alone just for his sword and hair.

And what does the fact that he’s a video game character have to do with it? I’m not saying we as players should be worried. I’m just stating why he doesn’t really seem like that good a hero to me, and pointing out things about his character that so many people seem to forget and/or overlook.

Mabat: no offense, but I’m really kinda skeptical about FF7 canon in general, especially for Advent Children. And I seriously doubt Tifa should be allowed anywhere near Cloud ever again, since she facilitated his mental illness rather than really help him. For msot of the game, she lied about his past, and didn’t correct him about things that she knew were very wrong. Hell, she’s a total bitcxh as far as I’m concerned. but I digress.

And yeah, I know it’s pointless to go on like this, but even if Nightmare doesn’t listen, maybe someone else will.

Heh, I guess I should change my avatar already since Mabat is no longer using his.

I agree to a point. It’s not that I don’t trust the cannon, I just don’t care enough to think much about it. I still fail to see the mind-blowing plot that so many people preach to me about. It was a nice game, with nice gameplay and a whole lot of characters for it’s time, but the plot itself didn’t really captivate me that much. And don’t get me started on Sephiroth.

Oi. Sorry, dunno why I said Mabat. my mind’s been really inattentive lately.

And what mind-blowing plot? Final Fantasy Seven had all the artistic integrity of a summer action flick. I liked it, yeah, but it wasn’t really all that great. And Sephiroth sucks. Hell, that’s the one thing going fro Cloud: he’s stronger than Sephiroth in will. Cloud finds out what he thought was his life was a lie, but he manages to overcome it at least enough to finish his quest. Sephiroth finds out one little thingie about his past, and he goes totally bahooties, not to mention is nothing but a puppet for Jenova.

Uh…changing from the FFVII discussion, I agree with you Val that Auron deserves much respect. His determination to help Tidus and fulfil his promise to Jecht, even after death, is most admirable.

My avatar and custom title where very similar to the ones he had until a while ago.

My point exactly. I’ve heard people drone on and on about how great FFVII’s plot is, I just don’t get it.

I agree with every last word here. And it should be noted that the little thing he finds about his past is entirely wrong, so Sephiroth’s entire reason for being how he is can be summed up as “Oops”.