When you think about it (FF8, 9, 10 spoilers)

At the end of 8, Squall ended up nearly being trapped in time. But he returned and saw Rinoa again.

At the end of 9, Zidane was nearly caught in the Explosion of the Iifa tree. But he survived, and returned to see Garnet again.

At the end of 10, Tidus faded away as a dream, <strike>but he returned and saw Yuna again</strike>.

It’s pretty obvious he was going to somehow return to his girl after the last two games.

Yes, and in Final Fantasy VII, nearly the same thing happened to Cloud. He almost didn’t make it back from the Northern Cave, but Tifa called him back to conciousness. 8)

Well, I guess that there were so many people upset when Aeris AHEM, that they feared a rebellion, and so they gave us a couple of happy endings. Even if it does get a lil cliche after a while…

You didn’t count all the times that happened in FF6, or 5, or 4… or 2…

I love the tacky, cheesy love affairs in these games :slight_smile: They always seem to get the girl, but each male hero took a very different route in getting there I guess (well I cant speak for FF10).The only time when romance was shoved into our faces and suffocated us was in FF8…and even the diehard romantic in me kind of tired of it, because despite all the obstacles, you know Squall is destined to be Rinoa even before you start playing the game.“Hi, it says in the script that I’m your love interest” they may as well have said.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Hi, it says in the script that I’m your love interest"

shakes head You’ve been on game recaps waaaaaaay too long!

I think (haven’t played all of it) Tidus gets Yuna by…being a whiny brat?! That girl is deluded…hell, if I were her, I’d even choose WAKKA over him! Or Kimahri!

Obviously not seen the FF movie, then- that changed the script, and, to be frank, was crap- it had a more downbeat ending than any FF game I’ve ever completed :S I say that these games should have a love triangle, and not resolve it until the very end- then, at least, there’d still be some interest.

A lot of the games do have a love triangle, I think…there was Rinoa-Squall-Quistis in FF8, and Tifa-Cloud-Aeris in FF7…you notice it only ever seems to be the girls obsessing over the guys?

Yeah, I did consider that, but (spoilers ahead)

Aeris gets killed off at the dnd if disc 1- so that’s that love triangle (arguably the best in FF history) squished right there (for the most part), and Quistis had about as much chance at getting Squall as I did (and I’m a straight male, for frick’s sake :thud: ), after Rinoa literally grabbed him and as good as slapped “property of me” on his forehead.

:o

That said, a Yuna-Tidus-Rikku triangle would have had potential in FFX, but a guy-girl-guy would have been so cool, esp. if done like Double Dragon arcade- the guys fight it out at the end for the girl’s love :wink:

Hmm, I guess you’re right…except that a FFX love triangle centering round Tidus would be a lil implausible in my eyes. In my eyes, Tidus is just a whiny brat who outta die and let Auron have the glory he deserves. But then that’s just my opinion. :slight_smile:

Poor Quisty, we all knew she didn’t stand a chance…and Aeris’s AHEM was, at least, a different take on a love triangle ending there. Well, not ending exactly- Cloud still seems to like her by the end anyways, although he didn’t let Tifa fall in the cratery thing, so…man, I’m confused now!

shakes head You’ve been on game recaps waaaaaaay too long!

<b>HOW DID YOU KNOW?!?!</b>

Well yes, I was waiting for someone to point out that i stole that.

And yes, guy girl guy triangle would be refreshing, but even better would be something like Kimahri, Auron and Tidus (Auron being torn down the middle, that sexy beast)…which I was originally thinking of until I got my head out of the clouds and realized I am supposed to be suggesting guy girl guy.

Hopefully the drab storylines will take a dramatic turn for the good, in the games to come.

Originally posted by Evangelion
<b>
And yes, guy girl guy triangle would be refreshing, but even better would be something like Kimahri, Auron and Tidus (Auron being torn down the middle, that sexy beast)…which I was originally thinking of until I got my head out of the clouds and realized I am supposed to be suggesting guy girl guy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! NO! AURON IS MINE! And…Tidus and ANYONE…ewwww!

And I know cause I spent ages there when the forums were down. lol

:hyperven:

Originally posted by Neb
That said, a Yuna-Tidus-Rikku triangle would have had potential in FFX, but a guy-girl-guy would have been so cool, esp. if done like Double Dragon arcade- the guys fight it out at the end for the girl’s love :wink:

you are so right

You always get the same guy-girl relationships in FFs, and all RPGs. You get male friendships (ie, in a “the bonds battle forges between two warriors” stylee), but never any major female friendships - they are too busy trying to get in with the lead male. Now a guy-guy or girl-girl relationship - that would be interesting.

Oh, and the deadly rivals type thing. Y’know, like Seifer and Squall. I’m not sure, but I think this would be quite common.

Something just occured to me! Eva, did you direct the ‘that sexy beast’ comment to Auron…or Kimahri?!

This pattern is becoming too obvious, and it only brings unnecessary pain.

Hmm…but I guess they consider them to be popular, so they stick with what they know best. Wasn’t there some outraged rebellion or summat when people found out that Aeris AHEM!? In FF8, FF10 and (I think) FF9, there hasn’t been any female leads AHEM!-ing to break up a potential couple like Cloud and Aeris.

Originally posted by Neb

Especially with the “relative” dimension of the tension. (giggle)

Yuna and Rikku happen to be first cousins

And as for the 2 guy 1 girl triangle, they had an obvious and great candidate for the 2 guys triangle with FF8. I mean, it’s RIGHT ON THE F’N FRONT OF THE JEWEL CASE!

Squall. Rinoa. Seifer.

They really should’ve gone further down that route with those three. (Although, then again, if you buy into the wacky rumors about Ultimecia’s identity, maybe they did, in a backward sorta way…)

But then, maybe they thought Rinoa was enough of an object, and having two guys fight over her like a prize would’ve been too over the top and alienated a female demographic, or something…

Gotta agree with Kai again- Squall-Rinoa-Seifer is such a blindingly obvious idea for a love triangle, it does boggle the mind why Square didn’t think to run with it :hmm: that said, Seifer himself was woefully underused in FF8 anyway :noway: :noway:

the delita-ramza-mustadio and lucretcia-vincent-cloud love triangles was interesting as was the riou-templeton-jowy LT of suikoden 2. not to mention the somewhat tragic triangle of jacques-luc-tir. though i think the most interesting relationships of all are the pesmerga-yuber and the flik-viktor-edge stories.