What new computer should I get

Well its mostly for college so, like papers, and the like. I think im gonna gonna get a power mac G5 since its in desktop form. Hopefully I’m gonna get a monitor with tv capibilites or whatever cause that would make my life easier.

By the way liadan you related to sin at all? even like distant cousin? Cause you two look alot alike, or maybe it’s just me

Crin go read my thread. There is ONE HUGE! conversation about me sin and Maz all looking alike, mostly sin though. I am starting to wonder if he is my long distant cousin from all these assumptions. But no he is not…

Kaiser I will get like that somtimes, yet most of the times I will be a little loney, not normal. Delita can vouch for that one

Alienware and the PowerMac G5 are way beyond what you’d need. I’d get an iMac G5; it costs less and you wouldn’t notice any difference in perfomance. Or any average PC. Either one.

Well Alienware is good if you’re mainly gaming, but the that they tend to be EXCEPTIONALLY expensive, even though they’re very good. I think it’s more of a status thing really, so I wouldn’t go there, unless you had money to blow.

I’ll vouch for building your’ own. If you dont know how, and dont think you can figure out how, ask a friend who does know, and have him teach you the basics (and ask for advice on what parts you need). Trust me, not only is it satisfying, but having selected each part in my comp myself, and having put it all together, I usually can solve tech support problems on my own, since I know my own configuration.

I’d like to build my own eventually, if I ever get the money.

Well what I’m doing is I select the parts I want in it, and they put it together then send it to me. So it’s like building it myself but without the actual work :P. But the reason im going with a powermac G5 is cuz this way it’ll be good enough that in 4-6 years or whenever im done with school that it’ll be still good, even tho knowing me I’ll upgrade it anyways.

You also lose out on saving (some) of the money you’d save by putting it together yourself <_<

Don’t get a Mac if all you’ve got in mind is playing games, watching anime and writing documents. You’ll have problems with 2 of those, and you’d need to learn how to use a new OS.

Arent Macs also hard to upgrade? [/mac ignorant]

Well anime is on the top of the list, documents is mandatory, and games are good but mostly roms which are easy to convert, but now I dont know. Converting my anime files to quicktime is easy enough, and is’nt divx player for mac too? So either way I think im good in way of anime, and games are more or less universal.

I heard that they are Very Hard to upgrade. Some say Impossible.

Big Nutter
I don’t have a Mac but i heard this off several Mates.

Do as the commercials say with that stonned guy.

“Dood your getting a Dell!”

I hate Dells, and more than hating Dells I freakin hate that guy…I hope he burns in hell. Now i dont know what computer to get, alot of my friends suggest macs, but if I cant watch my anime, or play my roms, or write papers then I should’nt get it. But I also have had too many problems with windows, so now I’m completely stumped.

Hence my joking around :wink:

You might be able to play your roms and watch your anime on a Mac, but then again you might run into problems eventually. For example, while divX might work on a Mac (I don’t know, I’ve never tried), I’m sure that there’s a whole other bunch of codecs that won’t work, which means that you’d be limited to watching only those formats that your Mac can read. On top of that you’ll need to get a program to convert the files to a readable format which means more work for everything you want to watch and if those files are in a format you can’t get a codecs for then you might actually need to have a PC on the side to convert the files for that format to one your Mac would be able to read.

Rom’s shouldn’t be a problem, but if you want to play other games later on you’re going to be basically screwed, very few companies release Mac versions of their games, so even in the best of cases you might be limited to playing only 5% of the new games you might want to play.

If you’ve been using MS word to do your documents you’ probably won’t be able to use that anymore since I don’t believe there’s a version of Office for Mac. You’ll need to learn how to use Word Perfect, which has its own peculiarities.

Call me lazy but then there’s the fact that you’ll actually need to learn a new OS. Mac OS is very different from Windows so you’ll pretty much need to start back on square one and learn the basics again (how the hell does one use a computer without a right mouse button?!?).

If you’re thinking of getting a Mac only because you’re having trouble with windows, then don’t you’ll probably have all the same problems, and a bunch of new ones. I’d stick to a PC and if you have any questions post them here; there are always people who are perfectly willing to answer your questions.

I’m sorry, but I have to Correct you, Dark Sand, for this link disproves one of your points: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/mac/default.mspx
And I have seen IE 4 on a Mac. You could you can get the best/worst of Both worlds. (Delete Apropiate)

I myself am more of a Fan of the Sun Staroffice and it free version openoffice.org. It has simalar Short cut keys setting to MS office. (i.e. F7 is spell check)

Ask for either XP or 2000 for your OS. They seem Very stable compared to Me and 98 after Patches Bring it up to ME standard.

I had used a Mac to type several douments, I hated it, whist the software was brilliantly desinged, but my relicance on NT4-SP5 and Office 97 shortcut keys was also prisent. I regually hitting Control or the Apple button or the funny # type symbol instead of hitting Rightclick menu button.

Big Nutter
Ok, I’ve seen WinAMP and Real Player, edition for the Mac. Quicktime is Mac software converted for PC.