What makes you nerd out?

Videogame soundtrack remixes, anime to a certain extent (Avatar especially), RTS games, graphic novels, James Bond movies.

You know, as much as we objectify people in this day and age, at least we aren’t starting any wars purely for the sake of sex (in fact I think one ended thanks to sex, or the lack thereof).

Plus at least Zeus was only fucking over mortals in the sexual sense rather than in the vengeful sense like Babylon’s gods did where constructing anything was a good way to die in fire, or lightning, or the occasional flood.

Mythology, history, philosophy, languages, comics and books.

conversations about pubic hair.

This is a good point and probably holds true for most people, whether they realize it or not.

Well when it comes to like transformers…I can spout out random names of decepticons amd autobots what they do how they act and stuff like that. Or ancient mythology like zues and posiedon. And how their father try to eat them and when they broke out His children put him in this bottemlkess pit called tartarus and when…ok nevermind i just nerded out :D…oh and anime! the biggest one naruto! i know peoples blood types ages dates of births techniques and a whole bunch of other stuff! and i obasses over the character Rock Lee! I cried when in an episode it was said he might never fight again! i was crushed! absolute favorite character in anything! he shows strngth courage purness of heart and…damn i did it again -_-’

Positive results in my experiments. Like when I saw the treatment I engineered led to a complete tumor regression in one of my mice yesterday.

Let it be known that we all tend to geek out about comics and games and action figures, while Sinistral geeks out over CURING TUMORS.

I think we’re doing it wrong.

I am definitely much less of a nerd (as far as doing nerdy things for fun) now, than I was, lets say, five years ago, and even less so than 10, 15 or 20 years ago. I used to collect all kind of stuff like stamps, coins, pins, toy soldiers etc…I kept most of my Nintendo Power magazines, starting with Sept-Oct 1990 issue #16 featuring Maniac Mansion. I also used to play chess quite often, even participated in a semi-pro tournament once.
Nowadays, no more geeky stuff, even my gaming is limited to a few hours a month.
But my job is one of the nerdiest jobs you could imagine – frigging small-time bean counter. Maybe one of these days I’ll “switch gears” career-wise, and get some macho job like a fireman, or a matador, or a secret service agent (hello KGB), or maybe a bouncer in the strip joint :wink:

I geek out over Sin’s lab results also. That makes two of us at least. :smiley:

(Don’t forget, he geeks out over his swords too, lol)

…I’ve briefly scanned the thread and so far I can pretty much quote every post and say “me too”. ^^
So yeah, I can geek out over just about anything as long as I happen to care about that subject today. :stuck_out_tongue:

Your name also implies Pokemon geekdom =D

Oh yes. That’s where it all started. A long, loong time ago.
…No, actually, it started years before that, but yeah… That’s where my name comes from, at least.
Although I usually just use the shortened version (Poke) now except, to sort of tie back to this nick, I add “Freak” as a sort of last name, for “Poke Freak”. :wink:

It was so long ago that I REALLY enjoyed a pokemon game (basically the only one I really liked was the original) that I’d almost forgotten where my nick actually came from to begin with. Since I just use “Poke Freak” now, it’s more of a name than an actual pokemon reference. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have played every generation of pokemon game and use to collect the cards. and so far, if you were to give me a pokemon name i could name the type its skill what game it was from. Or if you give me the shadowed version of it i can also say the name and if it evolves and if the so what it evolves into. Such a nerd i am ;p

I always thought your name was an amalgamation of Pokemon and Game Freak (the company that made Pokemon).

I still like Pokemon, and I am not ashamed. Never got into the game, but I played red, yellow, and gold back in the day and some green (leaf?) one on my computer. Seems like they’re pretty complicated now, with a zillion pokemon, but they’re still basically similar and fun games to play ( they are simple to play, and a good relaxation after an intense, challenging game)

I’m scared to try the new games just because of how intricate everything is. I liked the original three because of how simple it was and easy to get into. If I were to play any of them again I would probably pick up Blue or Red…

They have up to 500 pokemon now? Not to mention you have to keep track of stats, different techniques, and now berry bullshit, double teams, breeding, eggs… yeesh way to make a virtual reality.

I remember they banned Pokemon from our school because everyone, and I mean everyone, played it when it first came out. Many of the kids later said they never played it. Bah. Just like many of the Metallica fans who had shirts and all the albums said they didn’t like them or listen to them after the whole Napster thing.

The only ones that stayed true and honest to what they liked were the nerds.

Long live nerds.

Snoop Doggy Dog can dig it:

To elaborate on my name and pokemon geekdom, since it’s apparently a big subject:

The name just comes from “Pokemon freak” shortened to Pokefreak and then the 85 is because I was born in 1985.

I have played, or at least looked a bit at every generation of pokemon, as well as played the card game and the gameboy game based on the card game.
(And just for added bragging. I also own two, more or less, rare pokemon “collectibles”. The first is the Ancient Mew card that was handed out to each visitor at the movie premier for the second movie, still in mint condition. And the other is a copy of the almost (in)famous hack Pokemon Chaos Black. :P)

Gila: Yeah, that’s the main reason I don’t like the newer games.
The old games were charming and simple. I still know, by heart, the type(s), evolution (to and/or from), general strengths and weaknessess and so on of every pokemon in the first games.
The newer games just feel like remakes (or at least, “inspired by” kind of games) with a few extra gimmicks tacked on.