What is the origin of the term soylent?

I’ve been wondering about this for a while and was wondering if any of you happened to know the answer.

Its from the movie “Soylent Green” which was a novella (I do not remember the title or author. Its the name of the food that plays a major part in the distopian film.

Soylent Green is PEOPLE! The other white meat! It’s yum-a-licious!

I knew that much GM. I just had no clue as to where it came from. I might just have to try to get a hold of this movie.

There’s no point any more. There only reason to watch it was the surprise of finding out that Soylent Green was people. A cliche so common that it pretty much kills the movie within the first 5 minutes.

Originally posted by Green Mage
There’s no point any more. There only reason to watch it was the surprise of finding out that Soylent Green was people. A cliche so common that it pretty much kills the movie within the first 5 minutes.

I still enjoyed the movie even though I knew the ending… =p

The novel is Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, author of the Stainless Steel Rat series and West of Eden series as well as many other stories. He apparently also editted an anthology known as The Light Fantastic: Science Fiction Classics from the Mainstream.

As for where the name Soylent comes from, in the story, almost all affordable food is provided by a company known as something like the Soylent Company. They provide Soylent Blue, Red, and, yes, Green. I’m guessing the name is based off of soy.

As for RPGC being so enamored with Soylent Green, I shall have to take credit for that even if credit ain’t due. :stuck_out_tongue: Basically, Halloween of 2001, RPGC put up a quick color change for about 3 days that was green. Even the banner was green and had “We’re Made Out Of People” written on it. I put it up Tuesday October 30th (“Remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day” a line from the movie), and it was taken down that Thursday or Friday.

And yes, go see the movie. It’s great. I was convinced to see it because of the SNL parody of Soylent Green with Phil Hartman as Charlton Heston. It’s also the last movie Edward G. Robinson appeared in before he died.

sounds like fun. now if only The Oppressed Peoples of Hidoi Ryuujin had such…