What is everyone reading?

I did this a while back, but I figure everyone should definitely have finished those books by now.

So what are you guys reading now?

I’m rereading The Sirens of Titan by the great Kurt Vonnegut Jr. It is my favorite novel. Very powerful story.

My textbooks.

seconded.

And Slashdot and the Agora, of course.

I guess you could count the chat…

my textbooks, clear and present danger, and the completed works of edgar allen poe.

The Birth of Tragedy (Nietzsche), Oedipus Rex and Antigone (Sophocles), and some garbled modern poetry.

What my teachers tell me to, that is:
Norsk Historie 800-1300, Jón Vidar Sigurdsson
Norsk Historie 1300-1625, Geir Atle Ersland and Hilde Sandvik
Norsk Historie 1625-1800, Ståle Dyrvik
A History of Modern Europe - From the Renaissance to the Present, John Merriman
‘The Sisters’, Joyce
‘The Dead’, Joyce
The Lake Isle of Innisfree, Yeats
‘Easter 1916’, Yeats
‘The Garden Party’, Mansfield
‘The Stranger’, Mansfield
The Darkling Thursh, Hardy
Strange Meeting, Owen
Dulce et Decorum Est, Owen
Animal Farm, Orwell
Canto III, MacNeice
Snow, MacNeice
The Hobbit, Tolkein
The Shield of Achilles, Auden
Etc, etc.

Pity me!

Damn girl! How much stuff are they making you read?

Several thousand pages. I’ve barely started of course.

<i>Jane Eyre</i>, Charlotte Brontë
<i>Macbeth</i>, Shakespeare
Textbooks

Oh I love Jane Eyre! It is probably one of, it not the most favoret book of mine.

Until november, when 50 Degrees Below comes out, I am going to have to just enjoy my text books… which I think I will! My one course on Labour Studies has tons of books to read, all people’s experiences with Unions and ect… I am looking forward to finishing them. =D

:kissy:

<i>The First World War</i> Hew Strachan
<i>Homage to Catalonia</i> George Orwell
<i>Stalin: Breaker of Nations</i> Robert Conquest
<i>Mussolini</i> Martin Clark
<i>Hitler and Nazi Germany</i> Jackson J. Spielvogel
<i>The Penguin History of The Second World War</i> (various)
<i>The Holocaust: The Third Reich and the Jews</i> David Engel
<i>The Faustian Bargain: The Art World in Nazi Germany</i> Petropoulos
<i>The Mask of Apollo</i> Mary Renault
<i>Life of Pericles</i> Plutarch (in Greek)
<i>The Birth of Tragedy</i> Nietzsche
…many, many Greek Tragedies (the book store didn’t have them in, so I don’t have them here in front of me yet)

Oliver Twist, A Tale of Two Cities, and anything else by Charles Dickens. It amazes me how violent some of these books are and they want kids four years younger than me reading it.

:moogle: Violence is only ok if you imaging it.

Whatever fantasy I get my hands on.

I read a lot of different books, but don’t finish many. My collection of books is rather large though.

Fiction-wise now I’m reading:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Dragons of a Fallen Sun (Dragonlance. I love dragonlance.)
book 1 of the drizzt series (forgotten realms)

Anyone here read any David Sedaris by the way? Vicki should know him. He’s from Raleigh. He is funny.

Wow… That’s so ironic…

David Sedaris is hillarious I love his books. I read “Dress Your Family in Corderoy and Denim” and “Me Talk Pretty One Day.” Both were great ones.

Rereading the Harry Potter books mostly…0-0 Oh, and I’m reading Artemis Fowl cuz’ I never got around to it.

My textbooks and other books for other classes.

Jane Eyre is, indeed, awesome, and even the fact that Bronte writes like Dickens Lite doesn’t take away from it.

If it’s not already in the curriculum, you should strongly push for the inclusion of a film when you cover this book. It’s called Mephisto, and deals with a stage actor (who plays Mephisto in <i>Faust</i>) and his decision to remain in Nazi Germany to perform rather than flee.

The same issue was also covered more recently by the same director, in a film called “Taking Sides.” It concerns a certain world-famous conductor of classical music, who likewise chose to stay in Germany rather than leave, but who also did his best to stay out of politics and did not take part in any of the Nazis’ crimes. The purpose of the film is to ask the moral question of whether or not his very unwillingness to leave makes him partially culpable for those crimes.