"What have you been reading", take 25

Inspired by the eternal recurrence of the desktop thread, post/discuss what you been reading of late.

<i>Homage to Catalonia</i> by George Orwell. There’s a quote from it in my sig. It’s Orwell’s retelling of his experiences serving as a volunteer in the Spanish Civil war on the Republican side. Even for those generally unintersted in history, it’s a good read - this is Orwell, after all. It’s quite funny at some points.

<i>The Silent Blade</i> by RA Salvatore. I managed to squeeze this one, even though I shouldn’t have, and read it two Fridays ago. Another one of Salvatore’s ridiculously fantasy novels starring the dark elf swordsman Drizzt Do’Urden, including that character’s incredible “diaries” evey few chapters.

<i>The Birth of Tragedy</i> by Nietzsche. I read the first half of it at the beginning of the semester, and made no sense of it. I read the second half now, and it made perfect sense. I should reread the first half. This book makes you feel the physical firing of neurons in the brain as you read it.

Edit: Ooh, I should also mention this. As one of my projects I have to due some archival research, and conveniently enough, the National Methodist Archives (the church’s official archive center) is located right on campus. I’ve been researching the topic of temperance in the early 20th century, and more specifically I’ve been going through the collection concerning one Clarence True Wilson, a Methodist crusader for temperance and prohibition. Anyway, he was in a series of debates over the subject with Clarence Darrow, yes, THE Clarence Darrow of the Scopes Monkey Trial among other things. Apparently both became good friends despite their deep disagreements over faith and religion, and the material consequences thereof. There was a 10 - 15 page…what to call it?..eulogy, let’s say, written by Wilson in honor of Darrow. It was an incredible read.

Deception Point by Dan Brown.
Quite interesting thriller, albeit I have to note that it’s clearly one of his weaker books. It also perfectly fits into the “Dan Brown scheme” so the end is pretty predictible. :stuck_out_tongue:

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende.
A novel that describes the life of a family of 20th century Chile. The plot isn’t that exciting, but the way how it’s told is amazing.

The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare.
School forces me to read it. One of Shakespeare’s well-known plays. One may have some trouble wtih the language, but all in all it’s ok.

Aside from School literature (which currently mainly includes Schiller, Shakespear and some selected philosophical texts) I’m still stuck with Nietzsche’s Thus spoke Zarathustra. For months now, because I hardly find any time to read. I plan on reading more in the future now. The last thing I read was a book about the downfall of the poor German language (yes I’m kinda of a purist on that, heh). But Stephen Hawking’s universe in a nutshell got me curious, and I’ll probably have a look on some important world literature soon and stuff. We shall see.
But I’ll be damned if I ever even catch myself look at one of Dan Brown’s books. :stuck_out_tongue:

<i>1984</i> by George Orwell.

I reckon this thread is going to degenerate into a bloody mess of “my reading material is more intellectual than yours” but that’s just me >.>

Lately I’ve been reading The Hymn and Night Plague by Graham Masterton, both horror/fantasy novels, which I recommend heartily.

I’ve also been re-reading the Da Vinci Code and for my Leaving Certificate we’re studying Wuthering Heights.

Money’s been kinda tight, so I haven’t gotten many new books recently. Lately I’ve been re-reading my latest passion, Jim Butcher’s The Dresden Files . Absolutely brilliant series.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
I’ve reread the first three books, and the new one. I liked The Knife of Dreams, but that’s a discussion for another thread.

Moiraine’s alive!!

The Saga of Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson

I saw the first book at a book sale, and, knowing Anderson from Star Wars novels, decided to pick it up. Humanity has awakened an ancient enemy from the depths of Gas Giants and is now trapped between warring races that they can not understand. It’s interesting, and it’s not finished yet.

I um can’t read :bowser: Actually I haven’t read a book for over a year.

I’ve been reading a LOT of stuff for class, although the one book for pleasure that I have read was The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub, which was a pretty damned good read.

The stuff I’ve been reading for class includes:

Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor for children’s literature. It was actually a lot better than I expected. It’s a historically realistic story about the south during the Great Depression from a black family’s point of view. Not a happy story, in other words. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Absolutely brilliant as always. If you have never read it, do so. The Disney movie, although good, does not do it justice.

I’ve had to read lots of short stories from my fiction class, and they were all good. I highly recommend Flannery O’Conner, Margaret Atwood, and Charles Baxter to anyone who enjoys short stories.

I’m sure that I’ve read more recently, but I’m reading so much that my brain refuses to recall them all. :stuck_out_tongue:

lolook at sig

What’s on my reading list.
[ul]
[li]The Sisters, Joyce.
[/li][li]The Dead, Joyce
[/li][li]The Garden Party, Mansfield
[/li][li]The Stranger, Mansfield
[/li][li]Animal Farm, Orwell
[/li][li]The Hobbit, Tolkien
[/li][li]The Lord of the Flies, Golding
[/li][li]The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Sillitoe
[/li][li]The Birthday Party, Pinter
[/li][li]The Lake Isle of Innisfree, Yeats
[/li][li]Easter 1916, Yeats
[/li][li]The Darkling Trush, Hardy
[/li][li]Strange Meeting, Owen
[/li][li]Dulce et Decorum Est, Owen
[/li][li]Canto III - Autumn Journal, MacNeice
[/li][li]Snow, MacNeice
[/li][li]The Shield of Achilles, Auden
[/li][li]The Unknown Citizen, Auden
[/li][li]Musée des Beaux Arts, Auden
[/li][li]The Hunchback in the Park, Thomas
[/li][li]Fern Hill, Thomas
[/li][li]Journey of the Magi, Eliot
[/li][/ul]
Too much.

Who wants to be a Dictator? - World Domination ABC

~André de Guillaume

Good shit. Also, Thousand Orcs at 100 pages.

Nothing, actually. But I’ve got Inkheart, Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, and Smoke and Mirrors lined up ready to go whenever I’ve got the time. :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading mostly short story’s that are in my text book for English. They’re pretty interesting! I especially enjoy The Yellow Wallpaper, which I’ll be enjoying even more once I write a research essay on it… :thud:

I’m currently reading Dragonlance War of The Souls

No books around for me to read. I’ve only been doing the reading for classes which means I’ve been skimming a lot of Aristotle. He talks in circles, very annoying.

So you prefer to spell weiss as weiß… When I did german at school I wrote it like that.

OK the sillines over with, I need of a good book to start reading… I am traveling on the bus for an hour to collage. I can’t read for too long in a single go on the bus. I’d need some thing that doesn’t need to go deep into and is pocket sized.

Also, I have a low memory Palm with PalmDoc-type reader memory forces me to have 3 book limit. A version on the net must be either plain text (.TXT or not too corrupt HTML or word Doc) or in said PalmDoc format.

BN

I finished Knife of Dreams and Eldest recently. Currently I’m reading A Game of Thrones to start a new series.

I’d also like to try reading some Arthurian legends, but I have no clue where to start. Suggestions?

Oh, and the Max Brooks book about zombie survival may fit in somewhere if I need to kill time in a bookstore. :smiley:

Current and recent reads:

Sweet Violence: The Idea of the Tragic, Terry Eagleton
The Essence of Tragedy, Jacques Lacan
The Ancient Tragical Motif, Soren Kierkegaard
The Civil War, Lucan
The Rake’s Progress (libretto), W.H. Auden

That’s the smaller problem. ss/ß or alternate spelling of Umlaute is ok under certain circumstances (such as only writing in capital letters or not having symbols, or in crossword puzzles). It’s not the prob;em. The much worse problem is that due to growing anglicisms people started mixing english with German grmmar rules, and combined with our ortography reform it turned into a disaster where nobody knows how to write anything anymore, and even newspapers, magazines, public texts, books etc. are full of mistakes. -_- Darn you america shakes fist