Well isn't this an evil little virus

I got this in my e-mail today and I just had to share it, this is probably the best done virus e-mail I’ve ever seen.

To: Microsoft Customer@,
Subject: Newest Microsoft Security Pack.
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:10:28 +0200
Attachment: Q179204.exe

Microsoft Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the
“August 2003, Cumulative Patch” update which eliminates
all known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer,
Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five newly
discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer
from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow
an attacker to run executable on your system. This update includes
the functionality of all previously released patches.

System requirements: Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP
This update applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later
Microsoft Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
Recommendation: Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
How to install: Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.
How to use: You don’t need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles
can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site.
For security-related information about Microsoft products, please
visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact us.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

With friendly greetings,
Microsoft Corporation Network Security Center

©2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. The names of the actual companies
and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.

Notice the From entry, “Microsoft” <fdfumtcabdomodvblj@opYkagEq.net>, my isn’t that strange, I though microsoft’s web address was mircrosoft.com, hum lets run a little scan…

Scan result: Virus W32.Gibe.B@mm found.

Oops, how did that get there, must be a clerical error.

Enough joking around, seriously folks, Microsoft will never send you a file by e-mail for you to install, and even if they did, would you?

Just remeber to be careful and run a virus scan every now and then, there are a lot of new viruses running around right now.

Psh. Virus scanners are for loosers. =p

You can bet that there are plenty of people who wouldn’t think twice about downloading and running that bug. Of course, if you know better, you realize that they have an autodownload program installed on XP for that exact type of stuff.

Wertigon, I posted this information as a warning, its an excellently written virus cover and just because you an I can notice right away its a virus doesn’t mean everyone would. Except for the From line there’s very little in the e-mail that would make you doubt it. If you’ve got nothing constructive to add why don’t you do us all a favor and shut up.

Yeah, except it reeks of scam long way.

Why would Microsoft send the patch per mail in the first place? Maybe if the mail would warn people and then ask them to press a link, like this (and click the link for the full effect, it won’t do anything bad with your PC I promise):

Please click the following link to download the <del>virus</del> security patch:

http://www.microsoft.com/updates/security.php?patch=030818

I might just actually buy it. But since it’s actually running this as an attachment, it’s about as valid as those “Please send this mail forward to everyone on your list else you’ll get deleted” messages on ICQ that ran around a while ago.

Then again… The only thing history teaches us is that we don’t learn from it. 'Nuff said.

It is a fact: almost all virii running around on internet these days rely on people’s stupidity in order to infect their computers. If we weren’t in a sea of lammers there wouldn’t be so much virii out there.

Which makes me wonder: I think Symantec creates those viruses and spreads them so that people will buy their anti-virus and stuff. Conspiracy theory rules all.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]It is a fact: almost all virii running around on internet these days rely on people’s stupidity in order to infect their computers. If we weren’t in a sea of lammers there wouldn’t be so much virii out there.

Which makes me wonder: I think Symantec creates those viruses and spreads them so that people will buy their anti-virus and stuff. Conspiracy theory rules all. [/b]

You said the C-word. You die now. shoots Ren

As sad as it is, I can think of at least one person in my family that would fall for that. Thank you for your public service announcement, DS.

Drops hamsters on Ren Piano’s been taken.

God, if people wern’t such dumbasses then viruses wouldn’t affect them.

revives Ren then blasts him to death
No saying the C-word.

A twist to a very common trick: Spreading viruses through virus warning emails. And unfortunately there’s enough stupid people out there to make them a threat.