Waterbottles...

So I’ve heard that freezing water in a water bottle and drinking the water after could be harmful. When you let the water thaw, chemicals from the plastic get into the water. Does anyone know if it’s true?

I’ve heard that before. Its not true.

Water is still water when frozen. It isn’t going to extract any chemicals it didn’t in liquid form.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/bottles.asp <-- ?

Freezing water in a bottle could also break the bottle due to water expanding when it freezes.

Not true.

No. That is true. Water expands when it freezes.

:booster:

EDIT: / / Joking.

I’m pretty sure Sinistral is referring to Jenna’s question, not BMO’s comment. At least, I hope he is.

Everything expand when it is heated and condenses when cooled. Also, I’m positive that Sin was referring to Jenna’s question (if he wasn’t, he’d need to hand in his degree and redo it).

Info, expansion through heating is not always true. Water, iron and some other substances have a range of temperature where heating actually causes them to contract. For example, from 32 to aproximately 39.2 degrees F (0 to 4 Celsius) water will expand when cooled. Which is why in a frozen river the ice sheet is on the surface and not on the bottom.

I was answering Jenna’s question lol Yeah, I’d have to hand in my degree if I were referring to BMO X_X

This reminds me of the lecture I attended on extractables and leachables, great stuff.

At least no one posted asking about freezing in glass bottles. :smiley:

You know what a cool experiment on thermal expansion is? Fill a 2L coke bottle with liquid nitrogen, then throw it in a swimming pool at room temperature.

What happens then?

Thanks!

My friends and I were discussing it in Study Hall… which is why I asked. Snopes is blocked at my school.

The liquid nitrogen warms up to room temperature in a flash, becoming gas. Since the gas occupies so much more space than the liquid form, a big explosion happens.

Haven’t you ever watched Beakman’s World?

It’s a conspiracy. They don’t want the young students to know the truth about some thigets shot

Big explosion? How big? Does it like, burst into flames?

A side note, a little bit off-topic; but related to science:

In many equations like; (CH4) + 2(O2) --> (CO2) + 2(H2O), which is the process of combustion, why, or rather, how does methane react with oxygen? Energy is applied? I mean, if I empty some methane into the air, it does not instantly turn into water and carbon dioxide; and combust in fiery rage.

That explosion isn’t a firey one as the explosion is due to to pressure building up inside a fixed container. Ren’s idea while conceptually correct, isn’t something I would actually try to do as the liquid nitrogen is at -150ish degrees celcius and it would require the appropriate protective equipment to handle. A simpler and more common thing to do using a similar principle is the dry ice bomb, where you put dry ice, solidified CO2, inside a bottle, some people like to add water, throw.

How combustion actually works isn’t fully understood (surprisingly), so your question isn’t that invalid. You can ultimately describe what happens in terms of enthalpy and all that jazz. Anyway, to have any kind of chemical reaction occur, you frequently need to have the formation of intermediate structures as a given compound’s conformation changes from one of a given energy to that of a usually different given energy. This intermediate often requires energy to acquire and thus you need to add energy to the system to overcome this difficulty referred to as the activation energy of a reaction. You’ll learn more about how chemical reactions happen throughout the semester, Setz.

For starters, don’t mistake explosions for combustion. Explosions are the violent shockwaves you get when something goes boom. The experiment I cited is a bang that’s big enough to be dangerous to your health (risk of personal injury and propierty damage), yet there is no flame involved.

Combustion, which is what gives out fire, is the reaction of organic substances with oxygen. When they react, the molecules reacting with oxygen are broken, liberating a relatively (to some standards) big amount of energy. Part of that energy is used to assemble CO2 and water molecules, part is lost as heat.

Now, while oxygen is one of the greatest whores of the periodic table, being highly reactive, alone it can’t damage organical stuff. Not at normal pressure and temperature conditions, I mean.

Every chemical reaction takes some energy to start, even those that will end up releasing more energy later. So you need to give some to your fuel and oxygen. You can do so by running some electricity on it (if possible), giving a static shock with a spark, reacting it with something else and sometimes even hitting it hard. Since temperature is a measure of the “internal” energy of a body, you could translate it as “you gotta heat it”. Once combustion starts it generates enough energy to be self-sustained, so you can also use burning stuff to spread the love.

The combustion temperature varies with the stuff you want to play with. But no matter what you choose, a good soundtrack for your pyromaniac orgasm is Fuel, by Metallica.

Edit: ow Sin beat me to it XD

Beakman’s World! I remember that show. It’s been so long since I’ve seen it.

Its so bull shit, lol. Man, things they come up with now days.