War over a frozen island?

The image I posted is from March 2004. So yeah. It’s old news.

I say they settle it by giving it to Portugal…They’ll know what to do with it.

Reality: i think its stupid, just blow the ice up. Or do what they do for some islands in the caribean, have two places own it. Like St. Martin. Its owned by the dutch and french. There is a french side, and a dutch side. Why not? Oh well.

They will build an ice mine. And then they’ll try selling that ice to the rest of Europe.

Hope they bring some warm clothes.

From what I’ve heard, if Denmark were to gain sovereignty over it, it would alter the naval borders or something and affect the fisheries in the maritimes. I don’t remember everything I read about it, but it’s more than a piece of rock, but the water that surrounds it that’s important.

…I still don’t care. But go Canada because it’s my home. :stuck_out_tongue:

'Cos then they can’t even play football!!
Or fit a house even…

Ninten:cool:

Cless and Cid win.

LOL! :hahaha;

It’s the Danes. They like cold frozen islands.

We actually make our ice ourselves. I’ve never heard of someone actually, friggin’. BUYING ice before.
You guys are all funny. -points and laughs-

Ice is bought in the US in the crushed ice variety. People typically do it to fill up a huge cooler or barrel or something to put drinks in. It’s typically a cook out expense.

One country should hire the NE Patriots for a weekend. It would be a lock.

The Pats kick ass in the snow.

Ok. I was just reporting on the latest developments in the Hans Island “war”.
Here is the chronology of the saga:

Recent events
August 1983 - The Captain and Executive Officer of a Danish ship on a mission to land at Hans Island are flown on an ice survey from Thule to Hans Island in a Canadian C-130 Hercules. The ice was too thick and the Captain vows to return the next summer to land at Hans Island.

1984 - Tom Høyem, Danish Minister for Greenland, chartered a helicopter to the Island.

1988 - The Danish Arctic/Ocean patrol cutter HDMS Tulugaq arrived at the island, builds a cairn and placed a flagpole and Danish flag on the island.

1995 - The Danish liaison officer and crew working at Thule Air Base flew in and placed another flagpole and flag.

Late August 1997 - The Danish Arctic/Ocean patrol cutter HDMS Agpa tried to reach the island, but was forced to turn around 150 miles from the Island, due to extreme ice.

2001 - Keith Dewing and Chris Harrison, geologists with the Geological Survey of Canada who were mapping northern Ellesmere Island, flew by helicopter to the island.

August 13, 2002 - The Danish inspection ship HDMS Vædderen arrived and erected a new cairn, flagpole and flag, finding the 1988 flag missing and the 1995 flag in pieces, likely due to weather.

August 1, 2003 - The crew of the Danish frigate HDMS Triton landed on the island and replaced the Danish flag again.

July 13, 2005 - Canadian soldiers land on the Island, placing a traditional Inuit stone marker (Inukshuk) with a plaque and a Canadian flag.

July 20, 2005 - As a symbolic move, Canadian Defence Minister Bill Graham set foot on the island.

July 25, 2005 - A Danish government official announced that Denmark would issue a Letter of Protest to Canada.

July 26, 2005 - Deputy premier of Greenland, Josef Motzfeldt, stated that the island had been occupied by Canada, stating that experts should determine which country the island belongs to.

July 28, 2005 - The Danish Ambassador to Canada publishes an article in the newspaper Ottawa Citizen regarding the Danish view on the Hans Island issue.
August 4, 2005 - The Danish Arctic/Ocean patrol cutter HDMS Tulugaq has been sent from Naval Station Grønnedal to Hans Island to assert Danish sovereignty. The cutter is expected to arrive in three weeks time.

August 8, 2005 - Danish newspapers report that Canada wishes to open negotiations regarding the future of Hans Island. The news was welcomed by Danish prime minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen who stated that It is time to stop the flag war. It has no place in a modern, international world. Countries like Denmark and Canada must be able to find a peaceful solution in a case such as this.

August 16, 2005 - According to Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Møller, Denmark and Canada have agreed to re-open negotiations regarding the future of Hans Island. Denmark will immmediately begin geological surveys in the area, and Per Stig Møller will meet his Canadian counterpart Pierre Pettigrew in New York in the middle of September. Should they fail to reach an agreement, both governments have agreed to submit the dispute to the International Court of Justice in the Hague. The government of Greenland had agreed to this course of action. Regarding the Danish patrol cutter HDMS Tulugaq currently on route to Hans Island, the minister stated “I have instructed the ship to sail there, but they will not go ashore tearing down (the Canadian) flag and replacing it with a new one. It would be a somewhat childish (behaviour) between two NATO allies.”

Where I come we invented fridges

Nah , this is for like HUGE amounts of ice so you don’t waste time and space hoarding it in your freezer.

And that’s what our army of robot snowmen is for!

(Maybe they could use some of those on the icy island.)