Video Games NOT a waste of time?!

Looks like I’ll never get my omnipotent powers anytime soon…damn it all. But when I do…those whores who think they can tell us what’s bad for will die, oh YES, they will die.
then I"m gonna destroy all of Microsoft’s factories & personally kill Bill Gates. Then give the money to Sega so they can go back to making consoles again.

SEGA RULES! WE WANT SONIC ADVENTURE 3!
But Bill Gates isn’t that evil… XP works fine!

Originally posted by PC Glenton
Bah… a life is never wasted if you can do the things you enjoy doing.

Exactly.

Or as I first heard it, “time spent doing things you love doing is never wasted.”

Video gaming isn’t good for you. Hand-eye coordination? That’s good, but you can do other things to build that up. And obesity is much more important than west nile or sars.

Yeah, the military likes to use video games for training. That’s why the army funds video game development sometimes.

Originally posted by Bakufan19
Video gaming isn’t good for you. Hand-eye coordination? That’s good, but you can do other things to build that up. And obesity is much more important than west nile or sars.

Moralists and conservationists also spoke bad of radio, TV & telephone some decades ago. Were those things banned? No, they actually were proven non-unhealthy andbeing here to stay.

>Video gaming isn’t good for you. Hand-eye coordination? That’s good, but you can do other things to build that up. And obesity is much more important than west nile or sars.

Nowadays people are just as likely to be obese whether or not they play videogames.

Hah! I don’t need a news article to vindicate me. It’s not a waste of time no matter what they say.

Yeah and it’s not really the video game that forces you to sit your ass down and stay there…that’s just your weakness to video games I guess.People can just as easily change that, get up and do something healthy.Video games do wonders for hand eye coordination, reflexes, math, strategic thinking, increases vocabulary, quick thinking and problem solving, etc.There’s just a lot of stuff that you’re overlooking when you play a video game.Well, all this applies to me, I think.They can teach you a lot.

you saying playing video games all the time makes you fat?
I’ve played video games all my life and I weigh around 130-140 pounds, at 5 foot 9 inches

Let’s see…my brother plays games like there’s no tommorrow. He’s 6’0" (at 14 freakin’ years old!), weighs 140 pounds, and is also a track and cross country runner. Is that unhealthy? I don’t think so.

I’m afraid I can’t site the source, but I think that they proved that video games do nothing for hand eye coordination.

Video games are no more a waste of time than movies, socializing, and sports. They are all for entertainment, and nothing more. Sure video games may improve your visual skils, socializing may improve your social skills, and sports may improve your physical skills, but in the simplest definetion of not wasting time (helping humanity) they all don’t make the cut.

Interesting…

Especially since I spend a lot of time playing those types of games. :slight_smile:

I still say video games made me function better than if I didn’t play them. After my brain tumor the doctor believe my playing video games helped my hand/eye cordination. The brain tumor was in my growth and motor skills part of my brain and the doctors couldn’t believe that I could do so much.

On another note, I did a paper on television violence two semesters ago in psychology class and learned that there is a three point correlation between watching tv and incresed aggressiveness. This is not a huge thing like one thing causes another but some people just don’t believe it. The thing they left out that yeah your aggressiveness can increase but you might just swear or throw something, not neccessarily kill somebody.

Apologies. I should have mentioned that playing video games + no movement = DEATH. I play games, but I do a lot of running, sports, that sort of thing. So yeah, I understand how some people play tons of games and stay healthy. I was talking about the fat kids who sit, one hand on a controller, the other in a bag of chips.

And you learn things from radio and television. I’ve learned tons from TV.

[b]Apologies. I should have mentioned that playing video games + no movement = DEATH. I play games, but I do a lot of running, sports, that sort of thing. So yeah, I understand how some people play tons of games and stay healthy. I was talking about the fat kids who sit, one hand on a controller, the other in a bag of chips.

And you learn things from radio and television. I’ve learned tons from TV. [/b]

Depends on what you watch, for the most part. Me, I alternate between cartoons, Sci-Fi, and the History Channel, so I learn a little bit.

>I was talking about the fat kids who sit, one hand on a controller, the other in a bag of chips.

Bakufan, there are plenty of people who are obese who don’t play videogames. Video games don’t increase your chance for obesity.

Originally posted by Curtis
[b]>I was talking about the fat kids who sit, one hand on a controller, the other in a bag of chips.

Bakufan, there are plenty of people who are obese who don’t play videogames. Video games don’t increase your chance for obesity. [/b]

Well, they don’t hurt your chances, either.

Fortunately I’m thin as a stick.

My case is very similar to Ren’s. I’ve got interests in lots of things thanks to some references I saw on Video games. And RPGs practically taught me how to speak English.

Whether it’s a waste of time to play game depends on which game you play.