Valkyrie Profile Lenneth: I am so lost

The higher the skills Freya asks for, the more it counts toward Freya giving you loot, which you’ll need to do since working towards the A ending involves some unpopular choices.

As for Arngrim, he’s a fucking monster. He’s either the best or second best great sword character in the game and a complete expy of Guts from Berserk. Racking up long combos instead of instakills results in more drops and exp crystals, but it’s not worth worrying about too much till you get a couple of people with crazy multihit normal attacks.

Yeah, there’s one character you get a little further that has an attack with 12 normal hits. Using him in battle is like instant super-crystal action.

Also, your spells won’t OHK for very long. The difficulty curve is smooth but defined, and past the halfway mark, random battles start becoming a real challenge depending on your setup.

Yeah I just hit the tower of lezard valeth and the difficulty went up a notch. I’m not having too many problems except against the glimmers. My party currently consists of Lawfer, Arngrim and the Valkyrie. I was using Nanami but swapped her for Loreta because the FAQ suggested it.

Eh… it doesn’t make much difference. Like I said, every magician is interchangable eventually. It’s just a question of when you get the good spells (like Mystic Cross).

So I read.

This game is so unevenly made. I can go through Brahm’s castle in minutes but I’ve been in this damn tower for about an hour and a half now. URGH. It wouldn’t be so bad if the music weren’t classic Motoi Sakuraba high pitch noise. My gf had me turn off the volume because she couldn’t stand it anymore.

Haha, yeah that blows. The good news is that Lezard’s tower is the worst you’ll see in the game save for the final dungeon.

Actually, if memory serves Lezard’s Tower is the biggest dungeon in the game except for the bonus dungeon. It’s much bigger than either of the possible final areas.

Some of VP’s music is pretty catchy and rocking. Others make you want to shoot the TV with a big-bore shotgun.

I have always disliked sakuraba’s style. It just does not feel right for RPGs. I used to listen to the OST until I realized there was only one track I actually really liked.

Side note: my copy of VP was bought used, and apparently there some problen with the CD that means I can;t beat the Seraphic Gate. Fucking pisses me off.

These FAQs did a really shitty job with the Cave of Oblivion. I keep finding stuff in there that is not in their lists.

And nothing of value was lost. Tri-ace’s bonus dungeons are always disappointing, but Seraphic Gate adds a whole new layer of Fuck You. I’m not sure how far you can actually go, or if at all, but all you get are a couple of wildly off-character one-liners from Lezard and Freya and a boss battle in which you do exactly what you did to every high-level boss before and win to get absolutely nothing of value that you didn’t already have. It’s also long as shit.

…okay, so it’s not really different from any other Tri-ace bonus dungeon, but at least Radiata’s Distortion Corridor had some funny shit and stuff to carry over.

Seraphic Gate is all about getting characters you want to kick ass with, and doing ungodly amounts of damage to enemies who can take it and dish it out. Nothing story-related in it at all. The VP2 Seraphic Gate is pretty much the same thing, except it also has ridiculous crystal puzzles and some totally random humor involving teddy bears.

Cave of Oblivion is completely random in all aspects. I think in my last playthrough I only found a single treasure chest in there in all eight chapters.

Well, that’s nice to know, but that doesn’t do much to dispel the annoyance I had for years at not even getting far enough to see why the Gate sucked.

I found the cave of oblivion to be non-random. Specific caves appear at specific locations around the map for each chapter and there are specific monsters and chests at specific locations. The caves are built to hide treasures behind rocks and to hide passages in the sides of the walls.

I actually like the cave of Oblivion. particularly when I bring a TOme of Alchemy or two if I run into some really tough enemies and it turns them into lots of Experience.

Sin, they’re random per playthrough, not each time you enter. In each playthrough the CoO is set once you hit it once.

Well, you can manipulate the RNG that generates the CoO layout and such. But it’s tricky trying to actually get anything good out of it. It’s especially nice finding some tough enemies in there that give an assload of EXP. You can find some pretty good stuff in there, but it’s fairly uncommon that you do. In my Normal playthrough, I only got 2-3 good items from there.

I see. I’m almost done with the game with the A ending.

If I were to write a short review of the game I’d call it a controversial game. The gameplay is solid and the battle system is interesting. However, there are big issues with the plot development and the people who made the game at Tri-Ace made every single part of the game non-transparent. You never know what the hell is going on or what to do and there is very little hint as to how to ever get anything done. To add insult to injury, almost every dungeon has a really annoying gimmick, usually platforming related. The game doesn’t have the precision of a good platformer, making those parts more frustrating than anything, especially considering we often have little idea what the hell it is we are supposed to do. I like the twists they did with the story concerning Lenneth, but the rest was just a pain in the ass to go through. I also hated the fact that I couldn’t skip through scenes or turn off long animations.

The one reason I haven’t played this game more often is I’m fucking sick of sitting through that fucking long prologue with Arngrim. I mean, seriously.

There are definitely a few usability issues that could have been fixed. I still think it’s the most solid tri-Ace game they ever put out, though, with the possible exception of Star Ocean 2.