Ugh, XP's Command Prompt...

Is there anyway to change the default directory on the DOS Command Prompt? Most of the programs I have that need to be run from a DOS box are embedded in a lot of folders and I really don’t wanna have to cd c:\xxx\ the shit out of my fingers to use a couple dos programs.

On Windows 98, the DOS box would start in the directory of the currently active folder or the desktop if a folder wasn’t active, I’d really like to have XP set up this way, if its possible. If its not, is there perhaps a DOS emulator or something for XP that will allow me to do this?

Thanks. :suckah:

I use Dos Box for my Dos needs. Also download D-Fend from the downloads section. It’s a very useful frontend.

I think maybe I’m retarded. How do you change the directory from Z:\ to something useful? >_>

With DOS Box, just open the DOSBOX.conf file.
At the end, there’s an autoexec section.
I just type
MOUNT C C:
C:

to make my real HD (C:) function as the virtual HD ©, then switch there.

Ok, here’s what I’ve got:

[autoexec]

Lines in this section will be run at startup.

MOUNT C C:
C:
CD C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Desktop\Shrines & Sites\RomH

Everything except the last line does what I want, which is default to that directory so I don’t have to go jumping through so many different folders and such. I’ve tried a few different ways (like replacing CD with CHDIR) but still I keep getting this “Unable to change to…” error. Any idea what I"m doing wrong?

Wrap it in quotation marks.

Didn’t help any. :frowning:

You didn’t include the cd in the quotation marks did you? Anyway, you’d be better off just mounting that folder as the c drive, you don’t have to mount a root directory.

Who’s a jigga what? O_O fetal position

Oh, I know why, DOS doesn’t like long filenames. Run dosbox once, begin typing the first few letters of the foldername then hit tab, it’ll autocomplete to what you need to replace said folder with.

Woo. Bitchin’ Thanks KingMike, Epic. :smiley:

You could also try downloading the frontend, D-fend. With that, you don’t need to worry about the directory stuff.

A frontend for a DOS emulator… Brilliant. You know, I’ve heard of DOS frontends in the past. There was one that got pretty popular, maybe you’d heard of it. It’s called Windows. -_-

Except you can’t play really old dos games, you smartass. :stuck_out_tongue: