Turntables

Okay, I recently got an LP. I assumed that my parents old record player worked. I then found out that the needle was broken. My dad then said I should look and see if someone would repair the player. I was thinking, “Yeah that will work”. Then I wondered if anyone would fix one of those. So now I’m looking into just buying a new player. Does anyone think its worth it to get a new player or should i just check and see if i can get it fixed? I was thinking of either as a present to my dad. He wants to listen to his old records.

either or, just one that works rocks. i love vynl.

As far as I know, they don’t make record players anymore, so I’d think that you’d have just as easy/hard a time getting repairs as a new player.

They make record players, there are a number of stereo sets you can buy that come with turn tables.

The Misfits rock, well not really anymore, now it’s basically The Jerry Only Experience… >.>

Balzac is the future of the Misfits

Yeah, they definitely make record players. You can get a really good one with an automatic stylus for a pretty low price (with the caveat that they do usually come as part of a bigger stereo system). The only reason you might want to fix up the old one is if it’s some kind of vintage model or has some great sentimental value. If that’s not the case, I’d recommend a new one. I haven’t really looked at many of them, so I can’t say which company makes the best ones, but I did find an Aiwa model to be of superb quality about a year ago.

How much is one of these things gonna run?

Originally posted by Shinobi
Balzac is the future of the Misfits

Yeah probably, Balzac is alright, I got sick of them fast though, too upbeat for my tastes.

Originally posted by Amerycinsycho
How much is one of these things gonna run?

You can probably find one at a thrift store for $10.

Just make sure you get one that plays 33/45/78 and not just one speed, otherwise the record might sound either like the Chipmunks or r…e…a…l…l…y…s…l…o…w.

They make record players and they print records, they’re retro.

I doubt replacing a needle is a complicated procedure: You should be able to buy one and do it yourself.

i would buy a new one. an old one could break or burn out at any time, so i dunno if it’s worth the effort to have it fixed.

you can shop for a new one here ($80-$120):

http://google1-cnet.com.com/Fully_Automatic_Turntable/4014-6466_9-20649015.html?tag=pl&q=

if it’s too much, maybe you could go halves on it with him.

if you type “record player” into google, the sponsor links on the right will help you shop. i’m sure you could find one much cheaper.

Just get a new needle, and next time your at my house, my Dad could show you how to do it (if we can get him away from his gun colection)

Just get a new needle, and next time your at my house, my Dad could show you how to do it (if we can get him away from his gun colection)

Yeah your dad is a real gun nut. He shot at me one time because he thought i was an immigrant. Regardless, i would have to replace the stylus or something. According to my dad.