Troy - The Movie

http://www.troymovie.com

Fans of mythology/ancient history rejoice!

Usually I’m sceptical of films like these when they’re full of stars and CGI because there’s usually star vehicles, but this one looks like it could be better than that.

rejoices

Looks cool.

I remember seeing a trailer for it in the theaters some time ago, looked quite impressive.

COOL! :yipee:

Hmm, it seems like they are leaving ALL the mythological elements out (the greek gods actually BATTLED each other over the fate of Troy, you know) but I guess that’s to be expected of a Hollywood take; they reduced it to a story of love and politics.

(That said, if the events of the Trojan War really did happen -Troy DID exist, it has been proven- they could have been as the movie describes. Who knows? I hope it’s at least good to watch.)

BTW, according to the Iliad, Achilles was gay (they don’t actually come out and say it, but c’mon, he was WAAAY too obsessed with his “best friend.”) I don’t think that will be in the movie. :hahaha;

I kinda figured he was more along the lines of bisexual, considering the whole… Crap! I can’t remember the girls’ names. You know, the two that are Chrys-something and the other one which leads to the whole argument between Achilles and Agememnon.

Their not planning on including the mythological parts? :too bad; I was really looking forward to seeing the ancient Greek gods wreaking havoc on the battlefield, or Aphrodite getting stabbed by whoever and fleeing crying back to Olympus.

Ugh, please, no more Orland Bloom.

I just finished reading the Illiad and Odyssesy right before I saw the trailer for this movie.
I plan on seeing it.

Originally posted by demigod
I was really looking forward to seeing the ancient Greek gods wreaking havoc on the battlefield, or Aphrodite getting stabbed by whoever and fleeing crying back to Olympus.

That’s Diomedes, the one who hurled his spear at Ares.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I think I made a thread about this, months ago.

Originally posted by OmegaflareX
That’s Diomedes, the one who hurled his spear at Ares.
he attacked Aphrodite too. His chapter is the most badass in the Iliad.

The director is Wolfgang Peterson, the director of the cool-named DAS BOOT!!

And having the gods in it would suck, because they’re more boring and it just doesn’t work logistically.

Also, this seems like a good time to hawk my nice Iliad quotes page:

http://www.rpgclassics.com/quotes/iliad.shtml

Yeah. Achilles was gay. Patroclus (his lover) is in the movie, too- so we’ll see.

Damnit. Why don’t they ever make movies about NORSE mythology? ;.;

I think Diomedes was an idiot. Attacking GODS? Hello? Didn’t he hear about the things they did to mortals who offended them, even unintentionally? Anybody know what happened to him? I don’t remember.

Merl: I have to disagree about the gods. I’m sure that, if properly written (and acted) they would rule. Maybe one of this days we’ll get a Greek Epic adapted properly to the screen.

Speaking of gods and movies, I wonder if they’ll be included in the proposed Wonder Woman movie? I hope so, and that they use Ares/Mars as the villain.

Cyber: I doubt they’ll have Achilles as gay or even bi in the movie. I mean, it’s BRAD PITT. They would not want to annoy his female fans.

And yeah, Norse Myth has plenty of good epics to tap into too. A well-done version of The Nibelungs would rule, IMO.

Diomedes was reckless, even stupid, but his courage is quite admirable. When he attacked Aphrodite, he did so knowing that Aphrodite was the goddess of love and wasn’t strong on the battlefield, which was why he didn’t hesitate to attack her. As for Ares, it was Hera who asked Zeus’ permission to drive Ares from the battlefield, since both Zeus and Hera hated him. Hera even ENCOURAGED Diomedes to hurl his spear at Ares, and it was Athena who drove it into him.

As for the Olympians not being in the film, I can’t say it disappoints me. I’ve seen older versions of the Odyssey which included Athena and Hermes, and far from looking like mighty, powerful gods, if truth be told, they looked ridiculous. Athena didn’t look anything like a goddess of battle wisdom.

EDIT: Wil, Diomedes lives through the Trojan war, and he arrives safely home (unlike most of the other Greeks) to his city, Argos. There, he discovers that his wife was disloyal to him, so he leaves Argos and travels to southern Italy, where he supposedly becomes the founder of several cities.

This movie makes me sad… I’ll stick with the books…

I can’t seem to enjoy movies that ‘borrow’ from books but leave out stuff… doesn’t seem right to me.

:kissy:

Originally posted by Urkani
<strike>Ugh, please, no</strike> more Orland Bloom<strike>.</strike>!