Town to ban Christmas. MY town! ;_;

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
So petition them not to. Get a bunch of other people to do the same, including Muslims (since I think the vast majority of them don’t mind people celebrating Christmas). Really, it’s not that tough a fight.

I really don’t know how tough a fight it would be, but he’s right, you gotta try.

Fight for Christmas Pierson. And then someday we’ll all tell the tale of How Pierson Saved Christmas. Coming to DVD and Video.

Originally posted by GG Crono 4
Here’s a little holiday message from me to them.

I second that motion.

Hahah banning christmas… yeah, they should do that, and make festivus the new holiday.

Gah!
It’s the Grinch!

Alright, so me and some of my more friendly-looking friends and respected (ie teachers) adults went to the town hall (yes, we have one) and asked what the hell they thought they were doing (albeit in nicer terms). They kept us waiting for awhile, and some guy came back and said;

“We don’t know where the rumour started about Christmas being cancelled. It’s all a terrible mistake, we would never do that. There was a small issue about multi-cultural influence on the annual celebrations, but that is all, and we have decided ona course for everyone’s sayisfaction.”

Which we take to mean they’ve realised that publically cancelling Xmas would cause more trouble and lawsuits than one offended muslim guy could bring.

And Ivan, the US Constitution doesn’t aply at al. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s been more and more of this political correctness around lately… basically, the majority of people who celebrate Christmas are scared that everyone else doesn’t like them because of it.

I’ve been invited to a few Christmas parties. I politely declined, because none of the food there would be kosher anyway. 8p But to be frank, to the vast majority of people who celebrate Christmas, the holiday has nothing at all to do with religion. You see Santa Claus mentioned about a hundred times more than Jesus.

The one thing that does bug me is that everyone wishes me a happy Chanukah, even though Chanukah is really the least important of the Jewish holidays, just because of the time of year it falls out on. Nobody ever wishes me a happy Passover or Sukkot or Purim.

Passover: I don’t know the dates.

Sukkot and Purim: I don’t even know what they are.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
There’s been more and more of this political correctness around lately…
Odd, seeing as the post right above yours explained that no one was really going to do such a thing.

Just let me handle it. Where does the council meet?

:mwahaha: :mwahaha: :mwahaha:

Cid: YOU’RE JEWISH?!

j/k I really didn’t know, wow…I’ve never met a Jew before. I live in Oklahoma, where everyone is christian or Catholic…so yea…

I’m Atheist BTW.

I know that this isnt America, but two words…

FIRST AMENDMENT

said matter loses in court:)

and who said that the no santa suit thing, they should challenge that too, on said priciple, or just dress up as something that also falls during this time period.

Unless the celebrations were really blatant in terms of offensiveness to other religons (like a slogan saying “Jesus is our SAVIOR!”) I see no need to sue. I’m an atheist myself, but I get annoyed by people that become outrageously politically correct.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
The one thing that does bug me is that everyone wishes me a happy Chanukah, even though Chanukah is really the least important of the Jewish holidays, just because of the time of year it falls out on. Nobody ever wishes me a happy Passover or Sukkot or Purim.
Heh. I heard about that. Chanukah isn’t a major holiday because it’s more of a political celebration than a religious one, and the reason it is popular and well-known, and is so just in America, is because the card companies wanted to rake in a few more bucks during the “Holiday Season.” Is that true?

Originally posted by Ket Shi
Unless the celebrations were really blatant in terms of offensiveness to other religons (like a slogan saying “Jesus is our SAVIOR!”) I see no need to sue. I’m an atheist myself, but I get annoyed by people that become outrageously politically correct.
That wouldn’t be an offensive slogan. An offensive one would be more like “Accept Jesus or burn, Foolish Sinners!” (Which I have NEVER EVER seen even attempted to be displayed).

This is just silly and stupid.

I don’t believe in and I don’t celebrate Christmas. If I started demanding that people celebrated Christmas behind closed doors because the celebration offended me, I would and should be labeled and intolerant bitch.

Too much political correctness becomes political intolerance and discrimination, which is the opposite of the intension. This is an example of too much political correctness.

Originally posted by Ket Shi

I agree with what DP said anyways. And so what if people say stuff like “Jesus is the reason for the season” (which is a very common little phrase in my neighbourhood) how is that offensive and intruding on YOUR beliefs? People celebrate Christmas in different ways, that’s like telling people to shut up about their faiths on their traditional holidays, it doesn’t just mean Christians.

Heh. I heard about that. Chanukah isn’t a major holiday because it’s more of a political celebration than a religious one, and the reason it is popular and well-known, and is so just in America, is because the card companies wanted to rake in a few more bucks during the “Holiday Season.” Is that true?

No. Chanukah is a religious holiday as well. It’s just the most recent one (it was instituted in the early years AD). Also, unlike most religious holidays which impose Sabbath-like restrictions on things we do during them, Chanukah is much more lenient. I wouldn’t blame the emphasis on Chanukah just on card companies… I think it’s more that people didn’t want to offend us by saying Merry Christmas, so they found something else to say to us. 8p But if someone was truly interested in respecting other people’s cultures, they would find out when all of their holidays are and treat them accordingly, rather than just lumping everyone together at a particular time in the year.