Total Annihilation Kingdoms

Anyone know anything about this game? I got it free with Shadows of Undrentide, and I was wondering if it was worth opening and trying out or don’t bother and get an extra buck fifty at the hock shop since it’s wrapped in cellophane.

Hrmmmm. It’s a decent RTS, but I’ve only watched it being played. My bros loved it.Maybe I should try it…

SS, you might be confusing TA with TA:K.

Anyway, general consensus is that it was a HORRIBLE game. Nothing like the original TA. I played it a little bit, found it worthless, uninstalled it. It’s a poor man’s TA in a sense.

So I’ve heard. But then I’ve never played TA.

All I know is that it looks fair enough, and my bros seem to love it.

Don’t ask me why.

Well, I may be biased, because I got the original TA (plus Core Contingency) and…wasn’t overly impressed. But it was OK. TA:K was reminiscent of Mythic Warriors, which…well, isn’t something one should be reminiscent of.

Chris Sawyer isn’t exactly my favourite developer; it’s not that I hate him, but he hasn’t done anything to impress me. Between TA, TA:K and Dungeon Siege, it’s one big “Meh, why’s this guy so famous?”

Heh. Thanks for bringing memories of Dungeon Keeper back to my head.

Dungeon Keeper? I think that was Peter Moylneaux, the “genius” responsible for Black and White and the #5 wanted man on SA’s list of gaming jerks.

You mentioning “Dungeon Siege” did it. And don’t care if he’s a jackass. I still love the game. I dont’ give a hot shit about the developer usually.

Well he wasn’t a jackass then. Apparently, it was B&W that garnered SA’s wrath.

And Dungeon Siege is a somewhat Diablo-esque game, although not a very good clone of it. Better than Nox or any other Diablo Clone, but that ain’t saying much (feel free to find a better one to prove me wrong)

I dunno. I liked Darkstone for the PC. Was kinda nice being able to control two chars at a time, though usually a PAIN IN THE ASS.

Edit: Mind you, my bros love Empire Earth.

Don’t listen to X2k, TA:Kingdoms is an excellent game, sure its no where near as fun as TA was when it comes to playing skirmishes or multiplayer, but the single player campaign is where the game really shines. I have to Say Kingdoms rates on my list of top 3 best designed single player campaigns ever. Its very different from most RTSs, you have 4 factions, but instead of playing 4 different campaigns you play only one, playing the different sides to get a different perspective. There’s just something special about launching a massive attack to lay siege to a city, and in the next mission have to break the siege and escape, it gives a real sense that what you do is important. It’s also a very long campaign, there are 52 missions if I recall correctly.

I don’t recall TA being fun in skirmishes either. It just felt like a poor man’s CnC.

And, uhh, gee, thanks for valuing my opinion, DS. Again. Still.

I conceded the point that the game was weak on skirmish and multiplayer, but I simply felt you didn’t give the game the credit it deserve, it truly has an excellent single playing campaign.

I actually liked their attempt at a story, but the single player campaign just got off to a slow start. I was presented with a shitty screen of what I THINK were units, and other units…

I think the graphics took a step BACKWARD from TA. I don’t get it.

And I think you missed my point: TA’s skirmishes were nothing to write home about either, so TA:K’s musta really been bad, I guess.

I thought TA kicked/kicks ass. I still play the original.

TA:CC is the best RTS ever made. TA really shined in its thriving mod scene, but when TA:K came out, everyone kept working on TA:CC, probably because it’s more fun making machines than… people…

Originally posted by MegamanX2K
[b]Well, I may be biased, because I got the original TA (plus Core Contingency) and…wasn’t overly impressed. But it was OK. TA:K was reminiscent of Mythic Warriors, which…well, isn’t something one should be reminiscent of.

Chris Sawyer isn’t exactly my favourite developer; it’s not that I hate him, but he hasn’t done anything to impress me. Between TA, TA:K and Dungeon Siege, it’s one big “Meh, why’s this guy so famous?” [/b]

Chris Taylor :stuck_out_tongue:

And Dungeon Siege was good. It had many things that Diablo could have used. The only thing I really think it needed from Diablo was the skill tree.

Whoops, you’re right, Taylor. Chris Sawyer made Roller Coaster Tycoon. Fuck fuck fuck.

Hmm…Total Annihilation Theme Park?

And Sil, I hae Core Contingency too, but not the other expansion.

No dissing Dungeon Keeper. That game owns.

NEVER diss Dungeon Keeper.

Man, if I can find that CD, maybe I could arrange a Multiplayer game… for DK2.