;

How the crap do you use a semicolon? It confuses the crap out of me. Its like merging a colon and a comma. Which is basically what it is.

Use a semicolon [ ; ]

* to help sort out a monster list:
  There were citizens from Bangor, Maine; Hartford, Connecticut; Boston, Massachusetts; and Newport, Rhode Island.
  OR
  We had four professors on our committee: Peter Wursthorn, Professor of Mathematics; Ronald Pepin, Professor of English; Cynthia Greenblatt, Professor of Education; and Nada Light, Professor of Nursing.

* to separate closely related independent clauses:
  My grandmother seldom goes to bed this early; she's afraid she'll miss out on something.

The semicolon allows the writer to imply a relationship between nicely balanced ideas without actually stating that relationship. (Instead of saying because my grandmother is afraid she’ll miss out on something, we have implied the because. Thus the reader is involved in the development of an idea—a clever, subliminal way of engaging the reader’s attention.)

It is rare, but certainly possible, that you will want a semicolon to separate two independent clauses even when those two independent clauses are connected by a coordinating conjunction. This is especially true when the independent clauses are complex or lengthy and when there are commas within those independent clauses. You might consider breaking those two independent clauses into separate sentences when this happens.

* Coach Auriemma realized that his next recruiting class contained two superb guards, a fine post player, and a power forward; but as of the end of the spring recruiting season, he was still pushing to discover better first-year players for the interior positions.

If you write several numbers

742; 1,351452 ; 2

They’re extremely useful for emoticons!

Sadface: ;_;

Sweatdrop: ^_^;

Lotsa sweatdrops: n_n;;;;;

Or to give a thread the shortest title ever…

Yeah, like Shinobi said they are mainly used to connect short sentences to make a larger more complex one without using conjunctions.

You can think of it in terms of speech: the semi-colon is a pause after which you continue talking in the same tone, as if it were the same sentence rather than a new one.

We should get rid of semicolons; Nobody uses them.

Nobody knows how to use them either. >.>

The funny thing is I was going to make this EXACT thread. and I even think I already have, but forgot.

A good example would be this; it isn’t really that good.

Psh, I use semicolons often! I’m glad to see a proper listing of uses as well.

Don’t forget their use in programming, yo!

Same as Vicki, I use semicolons all the time. And I love seeing how other people DON’T know how to use it and constantly make themselves look stupid. :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for that one Rudora, for a second i thought I was the only one who was [STRIKE]cursed[/STRIKE] blessed with a programming course in college.

main
{
float funfactor;
float cpp;
cout >> “What is the current funfactor?” >> endll;
cin << funfactor;
cpp = 0;
while (funfactor > 1)
{
cout >> “I hate semicolons and c++” >> endl;
cpp = cpp ++;
funfactor = funfactor/cpp;
}
cout >> "The fun factor has dropped to " >> funfactor >> endl;
cout >> “You can cry now because of semicolons and C++” >> endl;
}

Long live the Semi-Colons!

Yay for C/C++/Java/etc!

Nay for Basic!

I’m learning Java in college.

Seconded. I am now developing a thesis that the semicolon is more popular among females.

<Screw that!>

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

You were saying?