Today is a sad day

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/12/01/beating.videotape/index.html

IF I WEREN’T AGAINST DEATH PENALTY!

I’d like to mention that the man was high on PCP and Crack-Cocaine. There is also a lot more to that video, specifically the beginning of which is not shown on TV. The man was obviously very hostile towards the police men.

The article seems to try to imply that it was a hate crime comitted by the police, but I don’t really see any evidence of that.

IF I WEREN’T AGAINST DEATH PENALTY!
What does that have to do with anything?

It means he thinks the police should be put to death.

Originally posted by Megaman984
It means he thinks the police should be put to death.
Then it would be a sad day if he was against the death penalty.

“If I weren’t” is hypothetical. It means if he had no problem with the death penalty, he would like to see them get death.

And the sad day I think is referring just to the man the police apprehended.

The whole thing is pretty vague right now, I don’t really see a side to take yet.

RODNEY KING! RODNEY KING!
Seriously though, there really isn’t enough evidence to suggest either way. If in fact the guy was on PCP it would be very hard to restrain him.

Let us leave the judgement to the judges, and not judge without knowing all the facts.

Actually, there is a great deal of information on the event. That article is a whopping two days old.

More:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/12/04/died.in.custody/index.html

So far it doesn’t seem like the police have done anything wrong, right?

“I think, though, after you see Mr. Jones go down and then come up on his knees on the tape, you will see … his hands are open, his palms are open, they’re not clenched in a fist in a fighting mode, he is trying to get into a surrender position.”

That’s inane, when the police are trying to force you to the ground you don’t fight your way back up to your knees to surrender, you stay down.

Originally posted by RoguePaladinTrian
So far it doesn’t seem like the police have done anything wrong, right?

Correct, but situations like this always make great stories for the media, especially when they have footage to go with them like this one does.

Welcome to Cincinnati.

lives in that godforsaken city :frowning:

Bleh, if there was enough evidence for either side, I’d be outraged.
Either because the cops were racist enough to kill a black man because of resistance (directly or indirectly kill him), or the fact that the guy was further worsening the stereotypes of black people. My town ‘jokes’ about people of other races enough as it is…

Steve: I don’t really see how race is an issue here.

Originally posted by ClothHat

Easy.
Since the victim was a black man, people will think the cops are racist.
That’s the way the world thinks, I’m afraid.

Originally posted by ClothHat

Y’see, that’s the problem. Too many people <b>do</b> see it as an issue.

Doesn’t sound like the cops did anything wrong. Maybe a bit rough, but they were being attacked by a big guy not all in his senses. Race shouldn’t be an issue, if the guy was white and had the same problems and did the same thing, he probably would have ended up the same way.

Originally posted by Gizamaluke
Easy.
Since the victim was a black man, people will think the cops are racist.
That’s the way the world thinks, I’m afraid.

Wasn’t one of the cops involved in this a black guy?

I just saw a bit more of the video.
It showed the man they beat hitting them across the head a few times.
Seems like people were looking at the video wrong or something.
Edit; Also, neither of the cops were black.