Time travel.

So does any of you think its possible?, in Albert Einsteins theory, its possible if you have the technology, everyone I’ve talked to about this said it is not possible to go back in time, because it has already happened, maybe I’ve played too much Crono trigger, but I believe it is possible.Time travel

It’s very much possible, though I wouldn’t really call it travel. It’s more like slowing down the passing of time, than a jump along a timeline.

And yes, it has already happened: It happens every day, and it happens to everyone. Not that anyone would notice the minute changes.

As of present it is only possible to go forward in time. And maybe that is just as well, as going backwards in time can produce some very scary paradoxes. Unless the timeline is static and everything is already predicted, including the alternation.

I personally doubt it is physically possible to go backwards in time. I actually think it isn’t possible to travel in time at all, only slow it down.

Going back in time would cause you to decrease in age. You would have to jump to a different timeline.
Imagine these as identical timelines, but each at a different point in time:

With each one a set time ahead of the one below it. You would have to jump across them to “travel” through time.

I never gave it loads of serious thought. I think it might be possible, but wonder how it would NOT violate the law of conservation of mass/energy.

I’m not entirely sure whether it is possible to travel back in time, but like Nulani said it is possible to slow it down. By travelling as fast as possible, since the closer to the speed of light you travel the slower time goes, for some reason. Which is really strange.

Okay, here’s my theory:

Either time travel is possible, and there’s only one time line, but that would suck, because since there’s only one time line, any possible time travel would most likely be fated as anything you did in the past would of and should have been done to create the same effects in the future as what already happened.

Or there is currently one time line, but as soon as a person travels in time and changes something it creates a split in the time streams, basically there would be the original, and the new one that was created. In theory if time travel was possible, it would probably be possible to jump time streams. But I’d think that the universe could only support so many of these time streams, so after they were split so many times the universe would probably destroy itself as the streams would either become unstable or there would be too many.

Or something.

Well, to answer your question simply, no.

I think that if people could travel backwards in time, we’d never know since all changes done would be “as things always had been”, considering that they’re in the past. Only during the moment of the actual change could we possibly notice a difference, or a short time afterwards.
Thinking about stuff like this makes me dizzy. :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Epicgamer
Or there is currently one time line, but as soon as a person travels in time and changes something it creates a split in the time streams, basically there would be the original, and the new one that was created. In theory if time travel was possible, it would probably be possible to jump time streams. But I’d think that the universe could only support so many of these time streams, so after they were split so many times the universe would probably destroy itself as the streams would either become unstable or there would be too many.

Sounds like Chrono Cross.

Originally posted by Epicgamer
Or there is currently one time line, but as soon as a person travels in time and changes something it creates a split in the time streams, basically there would be the original, and the new one that was created.

Originally posted by ahkeeyuu
Sounds like Chrono Cross.
Or DBZ

I think you only appear to slow down time because the photons reach you more slowly since you travel at a closer speed to them, so things don’t really slow down.

The infinite time streams theory sounds very much farfetched and fictional, so time travel would not be possible unless you believe in the multiple timeline theory or something like it.

Originally posted by Alice
I think you only appear to slow down time because the photons reach you more slowly since you travel at a closer speed to them, so things don’t really slow down.

No, rate of time passage does actually change with an object’s speed. I forget exactly what, but there are these particles that enter the Earth’s atmosphere and exist for only seconds. They are able to travel through things and can be detected in places that they would not be able to reach if time do not become distorted around incredibly fast moving objects. Anyone else know what I’m talking about and can explain it more thoroughly?

Neutrinos? They hardly “distort time”.

Time travel is possible as Numani said in her first post, we do it everyday, except we are going foreward. To travel backwards I think is possible except the amount of energy it would take would be hard to obtain in one place. My theory is that is you were able to obtain a large enough amount of energy and have figured out a way to harnes its power that you might be able to design a way to go back in time. It would be hard to get since you would in a way be ‘speeding’ time up. Also depending on where you go the time period might not have enough energy for you to make your way back. If you did make it to the past you would have to be carerful of what you did and say, because you might screw up the future. What fun would that be to be afraid you would mess up the future more then it already is?

The infinite time streams is actually part of quantum theory. It isn’t as farfetched as it seems, and the idea has been around for a while. Back to the Future used it, as did Michael Chrichton’s recent book “Timeline”. Terry Pratchett also frequently makes mention of an idea called the Trousers of Time, where every decision made splits off the current reality into two other realities. So you’re basically traveling in space rather than time, even though it looks like you’re traveling in time, because you’re really traveling to another world identical to yours except further back in time.

I’ agree with Weiila
An example of the trousers of time wound be world war 2:
1 reality (ours) where the alies won the war and another where Hitler did.

I would hate to live in a world where a nut ball like hitler rules.

heres my theory

if say u do gain he ability to time travel u wouldent be able to do anything with it. for example if you go into the past and stop a major disaster from happening say the titanic. if you went back and stoped the titanic from sinking then back in your time everyone including you would not know it happened. so that would mean you dont remember the titanic sinking so you end up not going.its like a default. any changes made are instanly fixed to the way it was before.

then theres traveling into the future. if you go into the future your going years into the future witch would mean in your time you would end up missing meaning the future would change from what its suppose to be.

this is why back the future is inaccurate.
if you go into the future you wouldent be able to see future you cause you wernt the to fill in.

any questions class.:moogle:

Well here’s another possible theory to counter the one you just threw in. It would still be possible to do something but it would be more difficult. You would simply have to fix something than convince your past self that something was going to happen if they don’t go back in time and fix it.

Originally posted by Videospirit
Well here’s another possible theory to counter the one you just threw in. It would still be possible to do something but it would be more difficult. You would simply have to fix something than convince your past self that something was going to happen if they don’t go back in time and fix it.

you wouldent be able to. because you wouldent remember the insident your self.