Tim Burton's 9

http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/9/

Holy crap… this movie looks like it is going to kick so much ass. Really neat idea and absolutely brilliant art style.

Ugh. Why is this getting the rep as a Tim Burton movie? All he’s doing is co-producing it… he doesn’t have much to do with this movie. He isn’t directing it or designing it, which most would assume when his name is slapped on it. It’s just like those movies with Tarintino’s name put on.

That said it does look pretty cool. I actually saw the original animated short this movie is based off of. The cat monster is pretty cool. I’m not sure how I feel about the characters getting voices though.

I didn’t even know this was based off of a short. O_o From where?

It’s based off of an animated short called 9 as well, by Shane Acker (not famous yet). I first saw in 2007 at an animation festival. It’s been out since 2005 though.

It wasn’t silent, but the characters didn’t speak. There was a lot of mystery to it because of that. I’m a bit worried the voices added in the film will make it sort of cheesy (I’m the last to complain about that but in this situation it seems right).

Check out more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9_(film). You may be able to find the original online somewhere as well.

Looks rather interesting. May have to look into that short film then.

Also, rag dolls have souls?

Don’t they broadcast The Nightmare Before Christmas every Christmas in your area?

Not really. Kinda sad since I like that movie. Used to own it about a decade ago on VHS, but sold it off in a garage sale. I totally regret that decision now.

Though I guess I could easily rent it, now that I think about it.

Haven’t liked much of the recent stuff that Tim Burton has done(recent being, the last 15 years). But I love his early stuff(Beetlejuice, Batman, Nightmare before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands): they’re all staples of my childhood.

Really? I loved both Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Corpse Bride. I just like his style though. :sunglasses:

Didn’t he do Sleepy Hollow, too, or am I on cocaine?

Both, RPT. Both.

Honestly I didn’t see either of those movies. I don’t think I would like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory(the original is just too good), but the Corpse Bride seems like something I would like. Come to think of it, the only recent stuff he’s done that I’ve seen have been Mars Attacks, Planet of the Apes, Sleepy Hollow, and Big Fish, none of which I liked.

Also, did he do that other period movie with Johnny Depp, the one about Jack the Ripper?

Originally Posted by Curtis
Also, did he do that other period movie with Johnny Depp, the one about Jack the Ripper?

That was Sweeny Todd and yes he did that one too. IMO it was probably the best thing he’s done in years.

Hot Topic is going to love this

Sweeney Todd is about Sweeney Todd, not Jack the Ripper. Curtis is referring to From Hell, which also starred Johnnie Depp. I’m pretty sure Burton wasn’t involved in From Hell, though.

Yeah, its “From Hell”. I liked that one - I really dug the creepy 19th century lower-class England dark alley milieu.

Burton’s Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is so different from the original it’s really worth a view even if you like the original. Depp is genius in there… like a gentler Jim Carrey.

I don’t think anybody says that Burton always hits the nail on the head, but when he does it’s amazing.

Originally Posted by Genericangstyposter
[i]
Quote:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Killmore View Post
That was Sweeny Todd and yes he did that one too. IMO it was probably the best thing he’s done in years.

Sweeney Todd is about Sweeney Todd, not Jack the Ripper. Curtis is referring to From Hell, which also starred Johnnie Depp. I’m pretty sure Burton wasn’t involved in From Hell, though.[/i][/QUOTE]

Ah! Now I see. I wonder how I could’ve possibly mixed those two movies up? That said though, I have to wonder just how many Tim Burton movies star Johnnie Depp?

A whole whack of them, probably most (I think). And many of them feature his wife, Helena Bonham Carter, too.

I hear they had consistency issues filming Sweeney Todd since Helena Bonham Carter was pregnant.

I think I want to see this movie. It looks exciting.